Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2004, 10:32   #1
Senior Member+

At last! Something is being SAVED!!

Its not all bad news - the Karrimor building is def. being SAVED!!! The scaffolding has already started to go up. The derelict mill, once "Walmsleys Leather Works", then "Mastabar Beltfasteners" then "Karrimor's", (who moved out in 1980), has been bought in a joint venture, and the four storey, Accrington brick faced building is to be transformed into offices and shops. Work has already begun on the adjoining building, which fronts Water Street. Photograph kindly taken by Owd Bert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg karrimor.jpg (99.3 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 20-02-2004 at 10:34.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2004, 15:43   #2
Senior Member+

It is good to see that the building is going to be restored, the council should make more effort with the rest of the old buildings. Keep the old places going.
Old 20-02-2004, 17:15   #3
g78

Yep its definately good to see the old Karrimoor building being re-vitalised at last. I actually live on Avenue Parade and so pass it quite often, my mum even used to work in it all those years ago, so its been disappointing to see it deteriorate over the years. Will be good to see some life in it again. Now if only the same can be done for many other buildings and areas of land across the town.
Old 01-03-2004, 16:49   #4
Resting in Peace

here

here is another pic for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 121 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 10:17   #5
Senior Member+

Karrimor rises from the ashes

Hi, this photo was taken Sunday 18th as the scaffolding was being taken down. Its looking good! Wonder what the up to date story on it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunday18thjuly2004_resize.JPG (99.1 KB, 80 views)
Old 20-07-2004, 12:29   #6
Member.

Re: At last! Something is being SAVED!!

Thanks Atarah, Any sign of anything else good happening out there..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2004, 23:10   #7
Resident Waffler

Well it's good to know that everything in Accrington isn't automatically demolished but does anyone actually like this building? Does it have any architectural value?

My Dad and my Uncle worked there when it was Mastabar but I don't feel any personal attachment to it. It's a shame that we have lost far more interesting things than this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:01   #8
Senior Member+

Old Karrimor building

Here is a more up to date photo of the old Mastabar/Karrimor building. I notice Trevor Dawson - the estate agent - is in charge of the property. He's done well, used to work for Duckworths estate agents in St James Street. He seems to have most of the industrial buildings in this area.

I worked for Mastabar at Church many years ago. They had no canteen then, but the Avenue Parade works (which was actually Mastabar Beltfasteners - both owned by Fenners of Hull) had, so the firm provided a bus to get you from Church to Accrington. You then had the choice of either getting something to eat from town OR, you could go to the Accrington branch, go through the side door in Water Street (I always remember this HUGE clocking-in machine on the wall there) and upstairs, to the very top floor, where there was a works canteen. Really decent nosh and very inexpensive it was! Happy memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Karrimoraug2004.JPG (97.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-08-2004, 08:36   #9
God Member

I took a look at the estate agents board when passing the other day. It is being marketed as 'The Old Tannery' A bit of a leap from leather belt manufactory to a tannery. A touch of estate agent's whimsy there. Incidentally the houses being built on the site of the Redac Brick Works in Huncoat are being marketed as 'Honeycombe Heath'. Again, Strange that the place was neither a heath nor has anything to do with farming honey. But then again the spelling would indicate not a honeycomb which is what beees store honey in, but a short valley running up from the coast. I am confused.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:52   #10
God Member

At least there's a connection there, Bob........what about our new estate at Church? "Spinners Court".....what relevance that name is, I have'nt a clue. The reservoir was there for a good 150 years, so maybe "The Old Lodge" estate would have made far greater sense. As far spinning, then I assume it is a connection with the cotton industry....in which case, Weavers Court would make more sense or even "Dyers Court" (which is what the water in the lodge was used for).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..