Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2004, 01:02   #16
God Member

Re: Atarah`s Bull Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
tea wot church is it, be precise please/
Dunno..........I was a catholic, and it was'nt one of our's!

But two interesting points about the postings above:

1) Weir Street.
- As this leads on to the river, does it not suggest that at some point there was a weir here? A weir, is of course, a form of artificial dam - possibly to provide channeled water for a water mill. If so, where could this have been?

2) The Australian pub
- This is an unusual name. I wonder if it could have been a 20th century naming (just as pubs are often renamed today). Does anyone have any idea as to why this pub could have been named that? (Gallipoli/Lancashire Fusiliers connection? 1901 Australian Constitution? Transportation of convicts from Accy to Australia? Cricketing connection?). I know the Blockade Pub round the corner on Edgar Street is named after a Crimean War Blockade (Sevastopol)...but any ideas on the Australian. I must admit, I'd never heard of this pub before.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2004, 11:08   #17
Senior Member+

Bull Bridge

Hi Tealeaf, good questions! Australian Inn - dunno the reason for its name. I only know that lots of the actors who were playing the Hippodrome used to stay there. Dont think I have ever heard why it got its name. Secondly, yep, surprise surprise, there actually WAS a weir, hence the name Weir Street. Am adding a photo, although unfortunately taken the other side of the photo we are "talking" about at Bull Bridge. Imagine you were stood at "L" on the photo, looking towards "R" - The terraced property you can see (with 3 chimneys showing) is the block of terraced labelled "R" at the bottom of the photo.
I have drawn a rough map, trying to explain the situation of the weir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weir.JPG (94.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg weirmap.JPG (67.9 KB, 42 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:53   #18
Senior Member+

Bull Bridge photograph

Is F Oak Street Congregational Church?
Old 10-04-2004, 23:51   #19
God Member

If someone would have used their imagination a little bit in the 1930's, we could have had a nice boating lake in the centre of Accy by now (see piccy above)...there could have been a little island in the middle...with a clock in it..with old father time at the top.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:44   #20

Hi Atarah, yes it is and there is a piccy of it in my Website Quiz. The chimney next to it was the cause of discussion quite some time ago and if I remember correctly it was decided that it was connected with the extensive Co-Op premises around Abbey St-Oak St-Black Abbey and Bank St.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:51   #21

One more specifically for Atarah, -- do you know the answer to the question I asked (see Page 1 of thread) ? Answers of course from anyone who can date the piccy to a year or so.
Old 11-04-2004, 13:31   #22
God Member

I'll have a go...1952
Old 11-04-2004, 15:18   #23
Senior Member+

Smile Bull Bridge

Hi Owd Bert, am just home from work. Guessing the date of the photo .... er....pre 1950

As you came from Croft Street, you passed the 4 houses on Milnshaw Lane (‘R’ on photo),

then a shop called The Pals Dining Room’s. The drill hall was on Argyle street, and would have been handy for men who had finished their drill, to call in for pie and peas

The building you are mentioning (red brick) was on the corner of Hyndburn Road and King Street and had a window on each side, there was a sweet shop at one side and then going along Hyndburn Rod was Whittakers Agriculatural Impliment’s, makers of pitch forks, spades etc., then was the entrance and the staircase up to the Alexander Billiard Hall.

The view I am showing is, I belive of Croft Street, and the beginning of the block of 4 terraced houses which you would pass to get to the corner of King Street and Hyndburn Road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg milnshaw.JPG (42.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-04-2004, 19:22   #24

Brilliant Atarah -- keep going and fill us in with more detail like that.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:16   #25
Senior Member+

Bull Bridge

Right, my guesses for today are ....
A dunno (just as Tealeaf said)
B Broad Oak chimney?
C Odeon Cinema
D Cant even make out whats there!
E Peel Street church? Dunno really.
F Oak Street Cong.
G Market Hall
H Union Street Methodist Chapel
I Where is "I" on the photo? Cant even see it! :-)
J Black Bull
K Billiard Hall/Stuart Engineering
L Culvert outlet for river Hyndburn
M Weir Street
N The Australian Inn
O Castle Street
P Cant think
Q Dunno what it first was, but was this where The Cavern was?
R The 4 terraced houses nos 1,3,5 and 7 Milnshaw Lane
S Not sure, workshops behind Union Street

There! Thats my offering for today.
Attached Images
File Type: gif easter2.gif (26.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-04-2004, 11:35   #26
Senior Member+

What a naughty egg, it just hit me.
Old 16-04-2004, 08:32   #27
God Member

I can't see an "I" either....yet I put it on my list. I think I messed up there....anyway, are we ready for the answers yet?
Old 20-04-2004, 06:16   #28

Atarah started this Thread and unknown to me said I would identify the various builbings etc. Here are my recollections.
A-Was Melbourne Mill in Water St- later BEL Fitments.
B-Park Shed -- later site of Dairy - now Retail Outlets on Eastgate.
C-Odeon
D-Broad Oak Chimney -- or Steamer on River Hyndburn.
E-Roof of New Jerusalem in Abbey St -- Next to Swan Pub.
F-Co-Op Chimney & Spire of Oak St Congregational Church.
G-Market Hall.
H-Union St Methodist Chapel.
I- Underground passage from old Court in Town Hall to Police Station in Union St.
J-Black Bull Pub.
K-Whittaker Bros -- Agriculturall Machinery Makers -- later Stuart Eng.
L-Culvert outlet.
M-Weir St -- leading to Kenyon St.
N-Australian Pub.
O-Castle St.
P-Houses at bottom end of Mole St
Q&R-Just buildings at start(or end) of Milnshaw Lane.
S- I was curious about this building in Back Union St so labelled it thinking someone may know what it was.
T- Backs of houses in Mason St.
Someone mentioned a name "Ernie Ipecs" -- more info please.
Old 20-04-2004, 07:33   #29
Senior Member+

Atarah`s Bull Bridge

Hey! Owd Bert! Of course I asked you if you would post the answers!!!!!!!!
Thanks anyway, its good to see them up!
Old 20-04-2004, 07:34   #30
Senior Member+

Atarah`s Bull Bridge

There is the wood "firm" on the Factory Bottoms (Victoria Street) called IPEC. One of my lads once worked there for a short time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..