Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2005, 00:16   #1

Blackburn RD Clayton

Any chance of getting a couple of photos of the area around, Where the Carlton Cinema & Load of Mischief pub used to be. Also looking down Blackburn Rd, we lived at number 19. I cant imagin how it is now ? . Used to play Cricket in St James school yard. I suppose its all gone now with the new motorway. I was hoping to get back this year , but unforseen circumstances means I have to put it off for a while.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2005, 13:38   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Blackburn RD Clayton

Alan......I will go out now with my camera and take some pics for you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 14:25   #3
Beacon of light

Alan.....here are the pictures you requested.
There is nothing where the Load of Mischief Garage and Pub were, just a brick wall, likewise for the Carlton Picture place.
There is a picture of Henry St..Long Row, the butty shop used to be Thornbers Chemists.
I have taken a shot of Blackburn Road too, the new red brick houses stand on the site that used to be the corner shop and the bit of spare land.

St James school is now St James Church.......I got pictures of the school yard, being used as a car park......something going on in the Church.

I hope these were something like what you wanted, sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it back here for a visit, but as you can see from the pics, you aren't missing a great deal from the geography point of view, although I'm sure your family will be disappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 001.jpg (167.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 002.jpg (158.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 003.jpg (158.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 004.jpg (149.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 005.jpg (169.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 006.jpg (186.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 007.jpg (150.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 008.jpg (146.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 009.jpg (155.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Clayton Pics 010.jpg (174.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 17-09-2005, 14:33   #4
Beacon of light

More accurately the pictures are:-
View from Canal Bridge......the Redbrick building is Express gifts.....on site of old Carbo.
picture 2 is looking up Blackburn rd.
picture 3 is the Hare and Hounds pub.
picture 4 is St James School
pictures 5 and 6 are the schoolyard.
picture 7 is Henry St.
Picture 8 is what used to be the Bank.....now a funeral parlour.
picture 9 is looking down Blackburn Rd
picture 10 is the corner where the Load of mischief side door was.
Old 18-09-2005, 23:36   #5

Margaret, many thanks, I cant tell you how greatfull I am, quiet a shock really, I know It had changed but nothing left of our house, I think it was where the nearest lamp post is, nothing left on long row. Hare & Hounds looks great, St james church has'nt changed. Noticed there is still a garage on the corner of Read St & Waterloo. The walls up Blackburn Rd & Henry St are they built from the stone of the demolished houses ?.
Old 19-09-2005, 06:36   #6
Resident Waffler

Great photos Margaret. Do you remember that bus shelter next to the NatWest bank that was actually built into the wall? They don't make bus shelters like that any more. There isn't one flippin bank in Clayton now which must be a pain for people who live there.

Not sure if you realise Alan that the motorway actually runs underneath Blackburn Rd right where the Load of Mischief used to be. I took a series of photos whilst it was under construction - not sure if I can lay my hands on them but I'll have a rummage round and scan a fe for you if I can find them. (Things are a bit chaotic here as we are re-organising a few things in the house.)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 09:46   #7
Beacon of light

Yes Willow......I do remember the bus stop.

Alan.....I'm not sure if the stone is from the demolished houses.....it looks too uniform to me......but maybe someone on here will be able to tell you.

Glad the photo's were what you wanted.
Old 19-09-2005, 13:59   #8
Resident Waffler

That stone could have been from the houses.

I seem to remember some of the stones (randomly located) having paint on them when it was first built as if they had come from a stonepainted wall and others being natural. Maybe the paint has worn off those few over the years but when it was newly built it certainly looked like salvaged stone, apart from the capping stones which are new.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 03:21   #9

The bus stop you mention, was actually built into the building of the Cambridge Press, good for courting couples waiting for the bus. Tucked into a corner of the Hare & hounds & Slingers meatworks, on Whalley Rd, there was a Phone box, that was in constant use, not many people had phones in the 60s. Just think of all the cobblestones, millions of them under the tarmac they layed in the 60s. All the houses where built of stone in that area, Blackburn Rd, Oswald St, Atlas St, Waterloo St, Henry ST, Quarry St, Canal St. Even though I have seen the photos, its still hard to believe it has all gone, hope to make it back in next couple of years, to bury some Ghosts. I still think of it how it was.
Old 22-09-2005, 23:21   #10

Are there any pubs left, in Clayton besides the Hare & Hounds, between the Greyhound & the Hyndburn Bridge, such as the Commercial, The Lamb Inn, The Oddfellows Arms, Volunteers, Albion, Forts Arms, Royal Oak, etc.
Old 23-09-2005, 08:48   #11
Beacon of light

Alan, I think all the ones you mention are still operational, though my pubbing days are long gone. Do you remember Joe Haigh in the Volunteers.... my hubby and I used to go in there every Saturday night and hubby would have a plate of sanwiches for half a crown....delicious they were too. I AM going back to the late sixties/early seventies.

Perhaps Clayton should be remembered how it was when you knew it.

Oh, and it has just been announced that Slingers has gone into receivership.......ah well!
Old 24-09-2005, 00:26   #12

Thanks Margaret, yes you are probably right I should remember it how it was, which I do. Yes I remember Joe Haigh, The Hyndburn used to have good food in the 60s, a guy who had it then was the head waiter at the Dunkenhalgh, In the early 60s, he was Irish I think.Do you remember the Sunnyside Cafe, just up the road from the Hyndburn Bridge.
Old 24-09-2005, 14:18   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Alan, I think all the ones you mention are still operational, though my pubbing days are long gone. Do you remember Joe Haigh in the Volunteers.... my hubby and I used to go in there every Saturday night and hubby would have a plate of sanwiches for half a crown....delicious they were too. I AM going back to the late sixties/early seventies.

Perhaps Clayton should be remembered how it was when you knew it.

Oh, and it has just been announced that Slingers has gone into receivership.......ah well!
ahh our paths may have crossed margaret, used to go in the volunteers in them days with an ex girlfriend who lived on duke st. also my first job(easter 63)lol was at slingers happy days.
Old 24-09-2005, 14:25   #14
Beacon of light

Our paths MUST have crossed......I worked for Slingers too.....in the Peel Street shop, must have been around the same time too. John Slinger used to come and make goo-goo eyes at me.....he asked me out a few times, but I didn't believe in mixing work and pleasure.......and even spookier, my daughter worked for them for quite a few years as head of QC....she gave up 6 months after she had her first baby.
Old 24-09-2005, 23:02   #15

I went out with a girl from Duke St as well. Jack Simmonds used to live in Duke st. what's QC?. My brother says the Commercial is an Indian restaurant now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..