Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 23:41   #1
Senior Member+

Con Club

I know someone mentioned the Con Club in a different thread, but I think it should be here, where it will be easier to find. I just spent ages trying to find the original posting.

This historic Grade II listed building (built 1891) was once the social point of Accrington and was the largest Conservative Club in the country. The ballroom was the showpiece of the building. Everyone used this club - the Police Ball was held there, the Cricket Club used it - top events were always taking place here.

Before Xmas scaffolding went up, but thats now all been taken down, so we will just have to keep an eye on the local papers, to find out what they are up to next.

Here is an old postcard view of Cannon Street, showing the Con Club, and two up to date photos of the exterior here. Remember the expression .... A Queen Anne front and a Mary Anne behind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldviewcannonstreet.jpg (76.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg ConClubFeb6th2010a.jpg (438.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg ConClubrearFeb6th2010b.jpg (273.1 KB, 80 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2010, 11:21   #2

Re: Con Club

Thanks for the update, until you actually walk round the area it's hard to grasp just how big it is
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:34   #3
Give, give, give member

Some photographs of it's present sad state.
Accrington Conservative Club

Hopefully some good news. Fingers crossed.
Accrington Conservative Club plans back on track (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Records of the club, which boasted the largest sprung dance floor in the country.
Accrington Conservative Club Archive (The John Rylands University Library - The University of Manchester)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29   #4
Senior Member+

Garinda! You are a star! Fantastic info you have just posted!
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:34   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Garinda! You are a star!

Someone will shoot me, if you keep saying that.

Old 07-02-2010, 13:08   #6
Give, give, give member

The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road, is a commodious building, opened in September, 1882, the cost of erection being about £4,000. The club was formerly held in premises in Abbey Street, which had become inadequate for the purpose.
Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

It's probably cost that to repair one or two windows nowadays.

Old 07-02-2010, 20:20   #7
Senior Member+

I havre written to the John Rylands library in Manchester to point out that the Con Club records are the only Accrington items in their archive, and suggest that they send them over to the Lancashire record office where they will be with lots of other Accrington records. When looking for records, people think LRO (Lancashire Record Office) and not Manchester.
I know a lass in Accrington who has a Queen Anne front and a Mary Anne backside. THis phrase comes from an old music hall song. Maybe that was what inspired the people of what was at first called Mary Ann Street, off Castle St, to get the name changed to Milton St.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 17:49   #8

Surely the owners should be oblidged to restore and maintain a grade II listed building - not demolish it?
Accrington Lad likes this.
Jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 14:24   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road, is a commodious building, opened in September, 1882, the cost of erection being about £4,000. The club was formerly held in premises in Abbey Street, which had become inadequate for the purpose.
Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project -

It's probably cost that to repair one or two windows nowadays.
Perhaps I am just being thick and missing something obvious, but I am somewhat confused by the stated location "The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road".
Was there ever a Conservative Club on Blacburn Rd, before the Cannon St one was built?
Old 07-04-2010, 14:49   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Perhaps I am just being thick and missing something obvious, but I am somewhat confused by the stated location "The Conservative Club, Blackburn Road".
Was there ever a Conservative Club on Blacburn Rd, before the Cannon St one was built?
I presume that's a mistake.

Only other explanation I can think of is it might once had land in front of it, that opened on Blackburn Road, but that seems highly unlikely.

Old 07-04-2010, 14:53   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It would appear the records are wrong Barrie, unless Blackburn Road has been moved and knowbody tolds us
Old 07-04-2010, 14:55   #12
Give, give, give member

I'm sure there'll be a lady along shortly, who'll settle the matter.

Atarah! You're needed.

Old 07-04-2010, 15:14   #13

The only thing I know of this place, are the current plans and hope for the building. And that is to demolish all except the front off the building, and erecting a 3 sided glass structure. Possibly to be used as office space etc...

Such a shame that somebody has left this place to rot. I went in about 3/4 years ago when I noticed a broken window, that was easy access. It hadn't been trashed really and looked as if the owners had just up sticks. Although one of the upstairs windows had actually fell out(frame as-well) and landed on the carpet. Within weeks the kids had got in, then the local scum and since then I have slowly watched this magnificent building all but die. The council have a lot to answer for as do the local heritage trusts.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 15:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
The only thing I know of this place, are the current plans and hope for the building. And that is to demolish all except the front off the building, and erecting a 3 sided glass structure. Possibly to be used as office space etc...

Such a shame that somebody has left this place to rot. I went in about 3/4 years ago when I noticed a broken window, that was easy access. It hadn't been trashed really and looked as if the owners had just up sticks. Although one of the upstairs windows had actually fell out(frame as-well) and landed on the carpet. Within weeks the kids had got in, then the local scum and since then I have slowly watched this magnificent building all but die. The council have a lot to answer for as do the local heritage trusts.
What the hell as it got to do with the council its private property
Old 07-04-2010, 15:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What the hell as it got to do with the council its private property
They should ensure that a building with such significant history should not be left in such a state. Why have such a lovely building in the town doing nothing? They should at least try to make the owners responsible for its upkeep, not just let it get trashed week in year out.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..