Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2005, 23:45   #1
Resident Waffler

Curious tree

We actually noticed this tree from the entrance to Haworth Art Gallery. Initially the only branches which were noticeable were the three top ones but then when we came out of the art gallery, perhaps seeing it from a different angle, we noticed the lower branches. At first it seemed as if it had suddenly sprouted extra branches.

So curious were my daughters and myself that we persuaded Busman to drive round there so we could get a closer look.

The nearest we could get to it was along Southwood Drive, and seeing it between the houses.

There appears to be something resembling a satelite dish near the top and the higher part of the tree also seems to have something like metalic attachments. The whole thing is surrounded by a fence so presumably whatever it is needs to be protected.

Does anybody know what it is?

Please excuse the quality of the photos. The light was going and I was photographing it between the houses so I couldn't get a really good shot of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Art Museum Strange tree3a Jan 05 012.JPG (43.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Art Museum strange tree1a Jan 05 016.jpg (35.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Art Museum strange tree2a Jan 05 015.JPG (42.0 KB, 57 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2005, 23:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Curious tree

I do not know.... but could it be a mobile phone mast to blend in with surroundings????
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 00:07   #3
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: Curious tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I do not know.... but could it be a mobile phone mast to blend in with surroundings????
Thats what Willow thought...but B.T. are not known for conservation issues! I think it is a Scots pine or similar with the top lopped off and a communications company has discretely put their gubbings up there!
Old 24-01-2005, 05:04   #4

I can't make it out properly Willow, but it has the look of a "monkey puzzle" tree.

The guy next door to us in Boston use to have one and it had a similar shape!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 05:10   #5
God Member

It is an Orange phone mast. There was a big outcry in the Observer when it was put up. I for one am glad its there. Where I live there was zero mobile reception when we moved in on any network. Being on-call I need to be able to use my work mobile day or night. Its not fun at 3am trying to get a signal long enough to listen to a voicemail telling you which system is down so you can logon and fix it.At least I now get some reception albeit only on my personal mobile.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 06:57   #6
Resident Waffler

A-Haaaa! I knew it was something not quite normal. It is more pine looking than monkey puzzle. I must have missed the story in the Observer at the time. It was probably when I was elsewhere.

We could do with one of those here up Willows Lane in that case because Orange reception leaves a lot to be desired here. (I'm on 02 so it doesn't bother me until I'm trying to phone Busman who is on Orange.)

Old 24-01-2005, 07:10   #7
Resident Waffler

P.S.

Entwisi, was that tree previously a tree before it was a mast or is it a mast disguised as a tree? I just don't recall seeing such a large pine tree there on previous occasions. From Haworth Art Gallery it just looks like an out of context tree.

Old 24-01-2005, 07:46   #8
God Member

Its a mast disguised as a tree, there wasn't a tree there before.

Some of the outcry was from the people who lived nearby as they put it up but didn't organise any electrickery so it was running 24/7 from a noisy diesel genny for about a month.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 09:05   #9
Always EVIL within us

As Chauffeur to the Waffler, why do I get the feeling that I may be driving back up Manchester Road this morning for a closer look at said tree/mast??

Last edited by Busman747; 24-01-2005 at 09:06. Reason: spelling error
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 09:48   #10
Resident Waffler

Old 24-01-2005, 11:57   #11
Resident Waffler

In the cold light of day it certainly looks more metallic than wooden, especially when viewed from the vicinity of another tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree 007a.jpg (20.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg tree 009a.jpg (85.4 KB, 32 views)

Old 24-01-2005, 17:27   #12

I'm presuming this is up Bash somewhere, but I can't make out where. Can someone please shed some light on this for me?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 17:30   #13
Resident Waffler

It's at the back of Southwood Drive, about halfway down on the right as you go down there from Manchester Road.

Old 24-01-2005, 20:08   #14

Thank you Willow.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 19:25   #15

simon is right you can see it off soouthwood drive and it is for orange users after customer complaints

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..