Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 07:58   #1
Resident Waffler

Flying over Accy 1962 vintage

Especially FAO Rosegrove.

This is the photo which was in the press in 1962 of the school trip in an aeroplane flying over Accy.

Recognise anybody here?

Sorry about the quality of pic. It's next to impossible to recognise myself let alone anybody else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flight.jpg (132.8 KB, 240 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2005, 09:51   #2
BOB

Re: Flying over Accy 1962 vintage

Yes On The Same Day 1962 There Where 2 Planes Sliver City Cargo Planes I Was On One That Was Flying Over The Haslingden Area Long Time Ago
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16   #3
Member.

Nice one Willow. The aircraft is a Bristol 170 Freighter, the same type of plane that crashed on Winter Hill in thick fog on February 27th, 1958, killing 35 people, only 7 survived. The plane was carrying businessmen from the Isle of Man to an exhibition in Manchester.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 23:27   #4
Resident Waffler

I remember the tiny little windows and having to stretch to try to see out.

Old 10-01-2005, 23:28   #5
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Nice one Willow. The aircraft is a Bristol 170 Freighter, the same type of plane that crashed on Winter Hill in thick fog on February 27th, 1958, killing 35 people, only 7 survived. The plane was carrying businessmen from the Isle of Man to an exhibition in Manchester.
I don't think I heard of that Doug. It doesn't ring any bells. It must have been quite a sensational tragedy at the time.

Old 10-01-2005, 23:39   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I don't think I heard of that Doug. It doesn't ring any bells. It must have been quite a sensational tragedy at the time.

Being a lover of flying it's not something you like to dwell on; I thought some people might remember the incident. If I remember right there's a plaque to commemorate those who lost there lives that nigh on the side of the transmitter building up on Winter Hill. The Bristol 170 Freighter was quite a big aircraft and theirs still bits of it lying around up there. For who may be interested the last flying example went to a museum in I believe Western Australia at the end of last summer.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..