Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2004, 16:00   #1

For The Local Historians

Not so much a case of where is this ( but go on have a guess) but what about PEEL HALL ? Over to you lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peelhallstone.jpg (49.7 KB, 75 views)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2004, 12:51   #2
God Member

Re: For The Local Historians

I'll have a guess...somewhere up around Oswald Street.....?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2004, 06:24   #3

Local Historians -- where are you ? -- and just as a matter of interest,--a question for Tealeaf: on what do you base your guess ?
Old 19-03-2004, 08:09   #4
God Member

It's that area..towards the old Peel Park/Accrington Hall..........I can't be more specific than that because even when I lived here full time (30 years ago) it was'nt a part of town I knew very well.
Old 19-03-2004, 11:03   #5
Senior Member+

I have to say, I have never come across a Peel Hall at all in my searches!

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2004, 09:11   #6
mez
God Member

is it on burnley rd.,/ im just guessing //
Old 26-03-2004, 14:13   #7

Reckon no one else is going to post on this issue so -- First of all facts: Think it is accepted that the Peel family built Accrington House and lived in it until about the 1880`s (come in Atarah) when they moved to Knowlmere nr Slaidburn. Also a fact that the House was located on what is now the top terraced row on the left going up from Park St. Also a fact that the "Peel Hall" stone is built into the aforesaid terraced row. Now to just opinion -- reckon the building contractor wasn`t prepared have a stonemason chip away at the fairly lengthy "Accrington House" name and came up with "Peel Hall" thus saving a bob or two.
Over to you.
Old 26-03-2004, 15:07   #8
God Member

I think the problem may not have been so much as saving on cost (the stonemasons were probably paid a farthing per half dozen letters) but also the balalce of the stone....It would have had to be quite rectangular & possibly a bit on the large side..but there is another possibility. Assuming for a moment that the house was built on land held by the Peels, it could well have been that they specified this as a reminder as to who had once been there. They liked their memorials did the Victorians - go to any cemetary and you'll see.
Old 26-03-2004, 18:40   #9

Good point Tealeaf -- I can go along with that. Just realised that in my previous posting that when I mentioned "top terraced row on left ---- " I forgot to say I was talking about Oswald St.
Old 26-03-2004, 23:22   #10
Senior Member+

Accrington House

Hi, am led to believe that this mansion house was "sort of" by the top of Oswald Street and the bottom end of Bold Street, at an angle. Still am puzzled by this Peel Hall datestone, I really am.
Old 27-03-2004, 09:43   #11

No problem Atarah -- See mine & Tealeafs suggestions. Can you come up with a better one? Yes, Accrington House was at an angle and I have seen an intersting map in the Local History Room at the Library which has the site of Acc.House superimposed on a map dated if I remember correctly 1929. It was certainly after all the surrounding houses had been built. The drive to Acc.House followed the line of to-days Avenue Parade and approx about Pembroke St curved to the right towards the entrance.
I agree that there doesn`t seem to be any reference to a Peel Hall in any of the old books I have referenced.
Old 27-03-2004, 15:19   #12
Senior Member+

Peel Hall

Well Bert, I have to say, I am still puzzled with this one. I have put my thinking cap on and have come up with this question
Is it an original datestone do you think, or ....could it have come from somewhere else and been "stuck" on.
I know for a fact that near to where I live, high up on a wall is the plaque "Friar Court" - it puzzled me for years, until I found out that Friar Court used to be just off Burnley Road, and that a man had got it off one of the demolition men, just because "he liked it", and put it on the wall, near his own house.
Old 27-03-2004, 20:53   #13

Ah well --there`s no answer to that I suppose that would pass the censor.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..