Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 21:05   #1
Senior Member+

Lens Coffee Bar

Arrgh, who remembers this? It was of course on Church Street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens.JPG (78.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg lens2.JPG (37.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Mick; 04-02-2010 at 07:07.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2010, 21:55   #2
Super Moderator

re: Lens Coffee Bar

That's strange...don't remember it at all, and it looks like just the sort of place I would have spent a lot of time idling around in back in the 60's!
Old 03-02-2010, 22:37   #3
I am Banned

re: Lens Coffee Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That's strange...don't remember it at all, and it looks like just the sort of place I would have spent a lot of time idling around in back in the 60's!
That picture is a lot older than the 1960's.
I don't remember ever seeing it.
I do remember a Lens cooked meats in the market hall.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:13   #4

Re: Lens Coffee Bar

Yea I remember it around 1966 used to go in there quite a bit , it didnt last long though. typical of 60s decor. maybe it was a chinese restaurant after that.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:46   #5
Super Moderator

You're one up on me, Al. Can't even recall walking past it. Definitely not up there with the legendary places like the Dahlia and Olympus!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47   #6
Senior Member+

i cant recall this cafe... melbo yes
blue dahlia..yes. the outside of this reminds me of the chippy on church st

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:35   #7
Beacon of light

I vaguely remember it, wasn't it on the same side that Moffitts and Baileys was on?

Can't say that I ever went in there though....but then I only went in the Blue Dahlia once or twice.......and never in the Melbo.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 13:01   #8
Senior Member+

I cant remember that at all, but going off the layout it definately looks like the same building which later became a Chinese restaurant, it was on the same side as Baileys, i can recall going in there a few times in the 80's and there were stairs to the left just after the entrance which you can see on the photo of the inside.

Incidently, does anyone remember a cafe/milk Bar on Blackburn Road near where the old Raleigh Bike shop was? Can anyone recall what it was called or the name of the owner? He was a rather rotund gentleman, quite jovial as i recall. He had a small lump/wart on his face. Used to go in there as a kid with my parents, when just going for a walk along Blackburn Road was actually quite a plesant experience!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:18   #9

Im pretty sure Wyn it was only there for about a year, Len was trying to get in on the 60s cafe bar scene, but alas it was a flop. Just because you've got a good name in the Market Hall, it just does'nt always transfer.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:24   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Im pretty sure Wyn it was only there for about a year, Len was trying to get in on the 60s cafe bar scene, but alas it was a flop. Just because you've got a good name in the Market Hall, it just does'nt always transfer.
Well, looking at weighing scales, while you sip your expresso might have been a bit of an off-putter and there doesn't seem to be a jukebox in there...always essential for any good 60's coffee bar, as you know, Al!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..