Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2014, 08:11   #1
Resting in Peace

New Section

After reading some of your posts I am thinking of starting a new section
for those that need help with photo editing etc
but first I need to know a few things
1) do you think this is a good idea ?
2) would you be prepared to moderate that section ? (I have enough to do)
3) what editing software is the most popular as you will be concentrating on only one ie photoshop as the person who mods the section will be answering the questions and posting examples so you must be very knowledgeable with that software.

at the minute this is just in the thinking stage your views will help
or any questions you have about this please let me know
thanks for your help

Last edited by Mick; 12-04-2014 at 08:19.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-04-2014, 08:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: New Section

Yes it's a good idea Mick , but not everyone uses the same software and it would need someone who is pretty well versed with most types of software to moderate it.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49   #3
Senior Member+

I think it is a good idea, and I also think it would be self moderating as the Photography section is probably the only section that does not attract all the negative attitudes and comments that are present on other threads.
As for software I don't know anything about Photoshop, I use a free one.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 13:02   #4
Senior Member+

New Section

Excellent idea, are you open to suggestions for sub-sections or is that something better added later. I'm think along the lines of a before and after section where you post original pic along with the edited version.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 22:38   #5
Senior Member+

I have just checked my Karma, something I don't do as often as I should, and for my comments that the photographic threads are self moderating, and not as hostile as other threads. For this comment I received a negative karma, also with a comment "up yours", can I just say, you are too subtle for me.

P.S. it was unsigned.......cowardy custard.

Last edited by davemac; 02-05-2014 at 22:42.
Old 02-05-2014, 22:48   #6

Wow davemac. It speaks volumes that, doesn't it? About cowardice, I mean.

Great idea for a new section, Mick. I agree it may be difficult to find someone who's entirely knowledgeable in one or more editing software packages. Folk may be able to contribute helpful tips and tricks, without being experts.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45   #7
Resting in Peace

still thinking about this
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46   #8

Don't let it bother you, Davemac - I got a negative Karma a little while back also from an unknown sender. I have got several of the positive ones so who cares about the one from an anonymous source. The ones I enjoyed getting and did appreciate included the name of the senders.
Remember, what goes around comes around....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:51   #9

...also I can't understand why your comments should have attracted a negative Karma.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:12   #10

Back to the thread. It's a great idea, Mick - sorry I'm not clever enough to help with it though. As you know, I even stuffed up with the photography competition ages ago (hence why I don't have any entries anymore - although I do always vote!) - so would be more hindrance than help.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Back to the thread. It's a great idea, Mick - sorry I'm not clever enough to help with it though. As you know, I even stuffed up with the photography competition ages ago (hence why I don't have any entries anymore - although I do always vote!) - so would be more hindrance than help.
This is what the section would be for to help members with photo editing and other problems relating to photographs
like a "HOW TOO " section
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I think it is a good idea, and I also think it would be self moderating as the Photography section is probably the only section that does not attract all the negative attitudes and comments that are present on other threads.
As for software I don't know anything about Photoshop, I use a free one.

Quote:
I have just checked my Karma, something I don't do as often as I should, and for my comments that the photographic threads are self moderating, and not as hostile as other threads. For this comment I received a negative karma, also with a comment "up yours", can I just say, you are too subtle for me.

P.S. it was unsigned.......cowardy custard.
Just goes to show, doesn't it?

negativity is omnipresent, however I don't think that was why Mick wanted a moderator, I think it was more to ensure the advice given is as correct as possible and that a mod' for the section could quickly correct any mistakes without bothering Mick!
As for karma, there are plenty of threads about it without raising it's ugly head in a brand new photography idea.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 15:58   #13
Senior Member+

When I was a newbie on here I got a few red squares, I took umbridge at the time, now I don't give a rats, but it does prove me wrong, so yes we do need a moderator should the thread become active. This could be the sticking point though, unless someone steps forward to accept the mantle of command.
Old 03-05-2014, 16:18   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

New Section

Quote:
When I was a newbie on here I got a few red squares, I took umbridge at the time, now I don't give a rats, but it does prove me wrong, so yes we do need a moderator should the thread become active. This could be the sticking point though, unless someone steps forward to accept the mantle of command.

Obviously you aren't trying hard enough.

It's very easy to gain reds, just speak your mind, the strange thing is, for every red you get when you are being honest with an idiot usually it will be surrounded by greens for the same post.
Please though, do not confuse cowardice with anonymity, I choose not to sign either colour, but on the rare occasions I give red I always mention the fact it's coming their way in the thread, just so they know not to blame someone else.
I do by the way find it amusing when some poor soul has been hurt by receiving red then jump in their tantrum inspired conclusion to the fact that it came from me, strangely, they give what they think is tit for tat, without signing it, what does that say about them?

Personally I dislike karma red or green, but the worse is signed green with a pm following a few days later complaining that I haven't returned the compliment, how sad is that?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 22:01   #15

Quote:
I don't think it can be self-moderating (unless it's going to be full of amateurs asking advice on taking pics with their phones).

Photographers - whatever their ability - are renowned for being opinionated to the point of abuse. My response to the question "What lens should I buy" on Yahoo Answers was voted best, but it still yielded four times more downvotes than upvotes.

As for the bad karma - surely the mods or site admin can see who posted it? The IP will be logged in case they post unacceptable comments...
Less likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..