Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2004, 16:56   #31
God Member

.....Looks like by this voyage things had quietened down a bit. This time, there were only 12 deaths, all children under the age of 3. Statistically, this is somewhat unusual in so far as allowing for the high rates of child mortality at the time, we nevertheless should anticipate some adult mortality over the course of the voyage. Could there have been a child murderer on board?

If there was, no one probably noticed. There were, quote .."to many irregularities on the voyage", such as the "Master's authority being openly defied by the crew".....No surprise, this one, when you think about what happened on the Calcutta Cruise.

But the real shock/horror of this piece surely arose "....in one instance (The Sailors) forcibly entered the compartments of the female sailors..." Whatever did they do that for, we wonder, and why don't we have more details?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2004, 19:26   #32
Senior Member+

SS Accrington

This is from the 1860 London Illustrated News 7th January

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssaccrington.jpg (63.6 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Mick; 15-09-2009 at 08:57.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:18   #33

65 deaths occurred????

From poisoning? or from ??? We'll never know!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 15:28   #34
God Member

Re: SS Accrington

I got so peeved off with not getting the SS Accy piccy from ebay that I thought I'd barrow it anyway...do you think they'll notice? For those of you who have not seen this thread before, this is a piccy of the second ship to be called "Accrington"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59_1ss.Accy.jpg (22.4 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Mick; 15-09-2009 at 08:53.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:31   #35

It looks quite large for a rescue ship, and it cuts a dash doing about 18 knots. Thanks for the view Tealeaf....
Old 05-04-2004, 17:50   #36
mez
God Member

i didnt know they had female sailors in those days, mm quite liberated wernt they.
Old 05-04-2004, 20:24   #37
Accrington Web Mascot

If only the Accrington of today looked as stunning as either of the ships. Really interesting stuff everyone - keep it coming.

Mez - I don't think the woman were actually sailors at the time - they seem to have been taken along for recreation purposes!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff
If only the Accrington of today looked as stunning as either of the ships. Really interesting stuff everyone - keep it coming.

Mez - I don't think the woman were actually sailors at the time - they seem to have been taken along for recreation purposes!
I must go back to sea again if that's the case
Old 17-04-2005, 10:07   #39
God Member

To resurrect a fascinating thread, I have come across the following while searching for something else and thought it might add a bit more to the story.

From the list of Absent Voters (1919) and Record of War Service (1914-1918)
I have found the following names of men of Grimsby who served on the SS Accrington.

Fairburn, Alfred John. 27 Yarborough St, Grimsby.
Goodwin, Frank Arnold. 1 Augustine Street, Grimsby.
Henson, George Henry. 41 Railway Street, Grimsby.
Old 17-04-2005, 14:17   #40
Resident Waffler

You've reminded me that I'd always wondered how Arago St. got its name too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2005, 15:36   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

fascinating and brilliant thread,just come across it.you deserve a jaffa cake tealeaf,an nobody gets them!
Old 17-11-2005, 15:21   #42
God Member

Well, after all this time I finally picked up a report on the trial after the Captain & 1st Mates murder.....here's the link. There is also a secondary link to a passengers letter, well worth reading. Sounds very much like a hell hole to me. Just like Accy town centre every saturday night.

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/ACCRINGTON.html
Old 10-12-2008, 19:51   #43

Sorry Tealeaf

SS Accrington was a MN ship not Royal Navy ie HMS All rescue ships were manned by merchant navy crews .My father in law served on all it's voyages during WW11. One of the threads mentioned 18 knots .Not a chance If you want more info let me know
Regards Pete
peter drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46   #44
God Member

fascinating thread , thanks to the above poster for reviving it , sure it will be of interest to many newer Accy-web users like myself who missed it first time around
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:24   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
This is from the 1860 London Illustrated News 7th January
How can I get an enlargement of this thumbnail? I am researching the Accrington story
patroglov is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..