Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2005, 12:36   #1
God Member

Surprise visit

An hr ago this little squirrel paid us a visit.. well it was near by.. next doors wall and the land behind us.. But 14 yrs in the house I aint seen one before..

Last edited by KIPAX; 28-09-2005 at 13:03.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2005, 13:54   #2
God Member

Re: Surprise visit

Amazing!

Kipax, are'nt you aware that Gray squirrels are a pest and that in some parts of the country are actively culled in order to protect the native red squirrel? Why did'nt you attempt to kill it? You should have done so..apparently,unlike other vermin it tastes very good in a stew with red wine, garlic, shalots and nutmeg.

So next time you see it ,shoot with the airgun, not the camera.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 28-09-2005 at 13:57. Reason: ...sticky keyboard....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 00:27   #3
land of hope and glory

good piccies , but as tea -leaf said its a pest! if you can get me 6/7 of them i will put them in a curry and we all can decide on the outcome?not right much meat in em so we will chuck some chicken in as well!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 05:07   #4
God Member

Staggers, com up to our house, the woodlands at the top of the grove is full of the blighters, they keep digging up Julies bulbs. The cat has had one of them.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2005, 23:50   #5
land of hope and glory

keeping my eye open for a powerfull .22 airgun got to feed the kids on summat........lol
Old 30-09-2005, 10:20   #6
Resident Waffler

Great photographs but pesky creature, shouldn't be any of em here at all by rights. Are there many red squirrels left do you know?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 12:11   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

not many reds about nowadays the greys have done for em! but vermin or not i wouldnt harm em, love watching em !
Old 30-09-2005, 12:17   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Great photographs but pesky creature, shouldn't be any of em here at all by rights. Are there many red squirrels left do you know?
There's a colony of 'em over at Sefton, south of Southport In fact, a protection scheme has just been announced for them there. There are similar colonies and schemes up at Penrith and on the Kelder dam in Northumberland. Otherwise, thats just about it for England.

The gray squirrel should be killed, and if possible, eaten.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 12:28   #9
Give, give, give member

I saw a red squirel in Malham recently. Poor little ****** being in Yorkshire. It should make its way to the grey squirel no go area at Formby like Tealeaf said.

My neighbours feed them everyday and one little nutkin scratched my car.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 17:25   #10
land of hope and glory

gary if you let me have a few ducks and the odd goose i will get shut for you!
Old 30-09-2005, 18:23   #11
Roy
Administrator

gonna make myself look really thick here... Why are grey squirrels considered vermin? I thought they just ran around being cute and eating nuts?!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 18:35   #12
God Member

I went over to Sefton the other week and saw the red squirrels. They're so much smaller than grey ones, it's no wonder the grey ones were able to beat them all up.

BTW, I was over there because I went to visit Anthony Gormley's Another Place which is currently on Crosby beach - worth the visit.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 18:37   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
gonna make myself look really thick here... Why are grey squirrels considered vermin? I thought they just ran around being cute and eating nuts?!
Supposedly just rats with bushy tails.

We only used to have red squirrels in this country then someone brought a few grey ones over. The grey ones beat up all the red ones and ate all their nuts.

I think they're cute too!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 00:36   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
They will eat anything, or should I say chew through anything from electrical leads to roof tiles, if you have them in your Garden they will chew your plants. Vermin just get rid of them.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04   #15
land of hope and glory

kill them all! yes they are cute but the damage they do is tremendous!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..