Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2012, 20:15   #1
Senior Member+

The queens visit to accrington may 16th 2012

Hope its ok to start a fresh thread for photographs of Wednesdays visit by our Queen.
Between us, we should get lots of photographs showing this memorable visit to our town. Would be good if folk posted!
Was in town today/tonight, so took a few photos.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2012, 20:38   #2
God Member

Re: The queens visit to accrington may 16th 2012

Should have taken photos down the side of the Town Hall in the Market car park. When you want a policeman in Accrington you can never find one usually, now you can't move for them
Old 15-05-2012, 21:17   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hope its ok to start a fresh thread for photographs of Wednesdays visit by our Queen.
Between us, we should get lots of photographs showing this memorable visit to our town. Would be good if folk posted!
Was in town today/tonight, so took a few photos.
I just read the poster on the last photo, it says your car will be towed away if you park there, then at the bottom it says "Hyndburn the place to be", or not to be that is the question!
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:47   #4
God Member

Here's one of the less glamorous sides of the visit I was refering to earlier, the numbers had increased by 5pm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg q1.jpg (54.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 16-05-2012, 11:50   #5
God Member

Town Hall looking good Atarah -look forward to seeing some photos of the parade and HM.

Security must be quite a nightmare for events like this -hope it all goes well. A lot of people will be looking forward to this -especially the school-children.

A little historical note of interest - my Gt Grandfather wrote in his journals that on July
9th, 1913 he was "playing" ie not working for the King's visit - he was also "playing" a year earlier, June 21st, 1912 for the Coronation! That would have been George Vth -I wonder if any photos exist of that visit -would be interesting for a comparison -almost 100 years ago.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:58   #6
God Member

Town Hall area already packed with several hours to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-16 12.30.41.jpg (245.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 16-05-2012, 12:02   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Town Hall area already packed with several hours to go
Glad to see it isn't raining - people don't seem to have made much of an effort with what they're wearing for the special occasion do they?!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-05-2012, 16:44   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Glad to see it isn't raining - people don't seem to have made much of an effort with what they're wearing for the special occasion do they?!
One Dave Sidebottom, of Lina Street, at least made a bit of an effort.

(Sorry Atarah - Chat in other thread.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 20:31   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
One Dave Sidebottom, of Lina Street, at least made a bit of an effort.

(Sorry Atarah - Chat in other thread.)

If I didn't know better (and the jacket had been blue) I might have been fooled into thinking that was you Garinda - hiding behind the make-up whilst you cheered Her Maj on her way

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 17-05-2012, 08:50   #10
Senior Member+

Mobertol - The use of 'playing', ie not working, was common , probably up to 1960. Equally common was the dialect word with the same meaning - 'laiking'

I think yesterday was a 'not to be forghotten' day in the chronology of Accrington history. Well done to Atarah for starting this off.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:06   #11
Senior Member+

The queens visit to accrington may 16th 2012

Well, fate was NOT on my side yesterday, I went into town bright and early, 10.15am, and got the BEST viewing spot -behind the barrier, directly across from the Town Hall entrance, BUT, had to LEAVE at 2.15pm for my job (can you believe that!) and, just to make it worse, the Queen apparently went up Manchester Road, straight past where I live, and I wasn't even there! So, hope others have some good "Queen" photographs.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:14   #12
God Member

Quote:
the Queen apparently went up Manchester Road, straight past where I live, .

The Hollins school option was the best one, far less packed
Old 17-05-2012, 13:15   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Mobertol - The use of 'playing', ie not working, was common , probably up to 1960. Equally common was the dialect word with the same meaning - 'laiking'

I think yesterday was a 'not to be forghotten' day in the chronology of Accrington history. Well done to Atarah for starting this off.
Thanks for that Bob, I was born in '63 so had never heard the term until recently in that sense as it had obviously dropped out of use. Always thought playing was for children!
Still haven't seen many pics of HM in Accy -does no-one have any?

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 17-05-2012, 13:27   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well, fate was NOT on my side yesterday, I went into town bright and early, 10.15am, and got the BEST viewing spot -behind the barrier, directly across from the Town Hall entrance, BUT, had to LEAVE at 2.15pm for my job (can you believe that!) and, just to make it worse, the Queen apparently went up Manchester Road, straight past where I live, and I wasn't even there! So, hope others have some good "Queen" photographs.
Bloomin' heck Atarah.

That's a great shame.

I know you were eager to take photographs, of this memorable day in Accrington's history.

Hopefully there'll be lots more posted here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:28   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post

Laikin had a different meaning.
Usually, as stop laikin abeyut, un ged on wi job.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..