Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2014, 14:49   #7261
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
That old boy will have to go a bit faster if he's after chasing them Wimmen!
Lol! He did get up pretty quickly once they'd gone past!

He does a 5 mile walk every day Dave, apparently he used to go around on a bike till last year then his daughter hid it as she was afraid he'd have a fall!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2014, 14:49   #7262
Beacon of light

It was 10 goes for a pound and she won it on the third go.

It was a fluke and she was as surprised as the rest of us....especially when she saw the fiver round its neck.
She gave the fiver to her mum...her mum bought a scratchie and won 20 quid with it.
So all in all it was a lucky day. The tin lids had big ice creams...and we had a bottle of very good wine. I don't mean that the wine was expensive(it was from M&S)but that it was to our taste and we shared it over a couple of nights.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 14:52   #7263
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Not new, but from my travels last week.
1) across the rocks.
2) Dog on West Beach.
3) this one is in colour(you've had the black and white version)
4) Aged...by now these boys will be grandparents.
5) Teddy that Marnie won in one of those grab machines - it had a fiver round its neck too. Didn't expect that!
6) Red crane against blue sky. Work being done to get a Travel Lodge ready for business.
7) young girls on the beach - no thoughts of One direction.
8) The pier in Mono.
9) she can't wait to get her shoes off.
10) A whole beach to ourselves. The tinlids on West beach.
I do so like your selected "aged" photos Margaret - that one of the pier is stunning though, perhaps my favourite - you waited till the lady got to just the right point to give a sense of contrast or it's height would have been lost.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-04-2014, 15:00   #7264
Beacon of light

It was serendipity...a happy accident.
Because of the sun on the screen of the camera(it, like many modern compact cameras, has no viewfinder) it was a shot taken 'blind'.
It was only when I got back to the house that I realised what picture I had taken.
I had many happy hours while on holiday 'messing' with the pics....and still more fun since I got back home.

I splurged on a transfer lead for the Ipad....it allows me to transfer the pics direct from the camera to the Ipad. I thought it was an expensive bit of kit, but I have had my money's worth out of it.
Thank you for you lovely comments Dianne.....they make me think I can take pictures
mobertol likes this.
Old 14-04-2014, 15:24   #7265
Beacon of light

You can see more here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16506530@N07/
mobertol likes this.
Old 14-04-2014, 19:28   #7266
God Member

Quote:
I must be in need of some sun and sand -feel a great affinity with your English seaside holiday shots! Recognised quite a few of your photos on Flickr - you only show us the tip of the iceberg here...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-04-2014, 20:05   #7267
Beacon of light

I nearly forgot the ten a day rule and posted some more on here
Old 14-04-2014, 21:40   #7268
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Promise of things to come, davemac! The bluebells that is. I particularly like the shots of the unfurling fern and the hawthorn. I have ferns like that in my little shady garden patch. They spread themselves vigorously (translation: I'm always pulling them up!).
I seem to remember a faint scent from hawthorn. Am I right, or is it fanciful imagining?
Hawthorns do indeed have a smell, most noticeable after a shower and when the sun comes out again, its difficult to describe the smell apart from to say it is a bit of an earthy smell, and not unpleasant. The last few days here have seen things go green rather rapidly, and the Bluebells, Wild Garlic, and anemones are just about to come into bloom, dependant on the temperature though. Ferns here are generally not a problem, however the Bracken Fern is very invasive and on some of my walks takes over very large areas, it has no predation as it has a poison in its sap, so is not grazed or infested with pests.
mobertol likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 21:58   #7269

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Hawthorns do indeed have a smell, most noticeable after a shower and when the sun comes out again, its difficult to describe the smell apart from to say it is a bit of an earthy smell, and not unpleasant. The last few days here have seen things go green rather rapidly, and the Bluebells, Wild Garlic, and anemones are just about to come into bloom, dependant on the temperature though. Ferns here are generally not a problem, however the Bracken Fern is very invasive and on some of my walks takes over very large areas, it has no predation as it has a poison in its sap, so is not grazed or infested with pests.
Thank you I seem to remember hawthorn as having a creamy, peppery smell, that could also be earthy. Sometimes on a summer's drive here, I fancy I've gone by some hawthorn. Maybe just my imagination though.
The young ferns are eaten here - we call them 'fiddle heads', so they can't be related to your brackens!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 22:07   #7270
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, One of those walks that was a pleasant experience, and was over too soon.

1. On the way down to Castle Clough, Hapton Quarry in the distance, the stream that flows off the quarry ends up flowing through the clough.
2. The top end of the Clough, that's the dry bit over, the next bit is water all the way.
3. The sun is shining through the new leaves.
4. So time to play at balancing stones.
5. The sun shining through Anemones.
6. Wild Garlic (Ransomes) just budding up, but smell very strong when you walk close to them.
7. Some signs of putting the water to use, but what, I have no idea.
8. Wood Sorrel, a nice flower when you get down and look, often overlooked.
9. An unfurling fern frond basking in the sun.
10. Almost out of the clough, a bridge walked over without noticing it.

A separate item about karma, I don't check it as often as I should and have just checked, and noticed a few people have submitted karma to myself, apologise for not responding to the persons who posted in a timely fashion, so a thank you to all who gave me the Karma. I must try harder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080920.JPG (450.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1090055.JPG (493.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1067.JPG (491.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1101.JPG (437.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1128.JPG (440.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1090110.JPG (461.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1090131.jpg (104.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1090145.JPG (478.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1090200.JPG (486.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1090235.JPG (409.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 14-04-2014, 22:15   #7271
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thank you I seem to remember hawthorn as having a creamy, peppery smell, that could also be earthy. Sometimes on a summer's drive here, I fancy I've gone by some hawthorn. Maybe just my imagination though.
The young ferns are eaten here - we call them 'fiddle heads', so they can't be related to your brackens!
Fiddlehead fern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had never heard the word fiddle head fern so I used Mr Google, if you click the link and read about them, the "fiddle head" is the furled frond of any fern, it does give a health warning for the Bracken Fern.
Turtle likes this.
Old 14-04-2014, 22:31   #7272

Today was warm (about 17 degrees!) but dull and blustery. Most of the snow has melted, making for a lot of water. In my travels around town I took a few snaps with my cell phone.

1. Swollen Creek. I had to drive over the bridge that spans this usually calm stream. Quite muddy water, but I liked the colour of the dogwood branches (red).
2. Fast River. The geese were being very careful not to get swept away.
3. Whitecaps. I daren't wade into this. Sorry if I wimped out, davemac!
4. Snail's graveyard. Maybe they were eaten before the snows came, maybe they perished beneath it.
5. Debris. Piles of downed branches from December's ice storm await the municipal garbage trucks.
6. Some colour in my little garden! Don't know what this is, but it's from a little bulb I planted 20 years ago. Every year it reappears - so glad to see it now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swollen Creek.jpg (394.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Fast Running River.jpg (336.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Whitecaps.jpg (360.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Snails Graveyard.jpg (107.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Debris.jpg (361.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Blue 1.jpg (377.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BLue 2.jpg (314.1 KB, 7 views)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 05:25   #7273
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I nearly forgot the ten a day rule and posted some more on here

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 06:38   #7274
Beacon of light

Yes Mick, it was the thought of you and a big stick tha brought me firmly to my senses
Old 15-04-2014, 07:29   #7275
Senior Member+

Quote:
Today was warm (about 17 degrees!) but dull and blustery. Most of the snow has melted, making for a lot of water. In my travels around town I took a few snaps with my cell phone.

1. Swollen Creek. I had to drive over the bridge that spans this usually calm stream. Quite muddy water, but I liked the colour of the dogwood branches (red).
2. Fast River. The geese were being very careful not to get swept away.
3. Whitecaps. I daren't wade into this. Sorry if I wimped out, davemac!
4. Snail's graveyard. Maybe they were eaten before the snows came, maybe they perished beneath it.
5. Debris. Piles of downed branches from December's ice storm await the municipal garbage trucks.
6. Some colour in my little garden! Don't know what this is, but it's from a little bulb I planted 20 years ago. Every year it reappears - so glad to see it now
Its always a problem, melting snow, if it all melts at once it has to go somewhere, plus it leaves a mess behind.
The blue bulb you planted, not totally sure, but best guess Scilla.
Don't even think about wading into swollen water flows...............unless you have a waterproof camera.
mobertol and Turtle like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..