Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   home made cow heal pie (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/home-made-cow-heal-pie-27973.html)

jaysay 07-10-2011 17:44

Re: home made cow heal pie

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfashioned (Post 938441)
Maybe all of you should start to learn the English language & how to spell, before you try dangerous things like cooking with knives and flames?

or, try this, you might understand it better ...

maibe awll of u shud start to lurn the english langwage & how to spell,b4 u tri dangerouse things liyk cooking with knifes and flayms?

:confused:

I see this is your first post on The Accrington Web Site, I do pray it will be your last numpty

emamum 07-10-2011 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 938469)
OK -failing that you could always look up the following cookbook in Accy library -as recommended in the Magazine article:
"Testicles: Balls in Cooking and Culture" by Blandine Vié - a curious Gallic combination of philosophy, history and humour that aims to "honour them and rehabilitate them into their rightful place at table".:D;):D

Although i could think of a few people whos balls i'd like served on a plate, i'll pass on that one aswell ;)

Tex 07-10-2011 22:45

I still cook Black puddings the way my mum used to- boil them in in a pan as you buy them- with their skins on until they swell. Frying them kills the flavor IMO.

Tex 07-10-2011 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 402892)
Amazing how talk of food brings back the memories ... Oxtail soup, ham shank and peas, and steak and kidney pudding UBI SUNT!! Food is part ... and a very important part ... of any culture. The strongest sub-cultures in Canada are the ones that have "ethnic" foods: the Quebecois ,the Newfies with seal flipper pie (Don't try it, it's an aquired taste). Can't get black puddings, but there is Bloudin, a sort of Black Pudding from Quebec.

Ham shank and peas- i would love the recipe for this as my mum used to cook this for us every week. Also a recipe for sage and onion stuffing which i vaguely remember but never get the same taste to. I remember the oven came into the recipe after but have tried to get the same taste but never achieved it.

talentedbutslow 08-10-2011 00:09

Made me hungry too......but my problem is......I.m so poor I have to regurgitate breakfast to eat my tea.......:help:

jaysay 08-10-2011 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 938570)
I still cook Black puddings the way my mum used to- boil them in in a pan as you buy them- with their skins on until they swell. Frying them kills the flavor IMO.

Thanks Tex, you've just reminded me to take an haggis out of the freezer I'm having one for diner:D

Michael1954 08-10-2011 09:09

As a child I was regularly served up tripe and chips for tea, and other meals included black pudding. It put me off for life and I haven't had any since!

jaysay 08-10-2011 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 938603)
As a child I was regularly served up tripe and chips for tea, and other meals included black pudding. It put me off for life and I haven't had any since!

Black pudding Tripe and chips Michael, thats the stuff to put hairs on the chest:mosher:

mobertol 08-10-2011 12:00

Don't mind a slice of black pudding myself in a fry up. The best i've ever had was when staying with a friend in Belfast -An Ulster Fry -they called it, that had a white as well as a black pudding and loads of other stuff too -a real cholesterol bomb but very tasty!

mobertol 08-10-2011 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 938561)
Although i could think of a few people whos balls i'd like served on a plate, i'll pass on that one aswell ;)

Well, in case you ever do get your hands on them:
Remove the external white membrane and you will find they are peachy-pink and have the texture of a fine paté when uncooked. The article advises slicing and frying in butter! ;) Yummy?

Bob Dobson 08-10-2011 18:47

On holiday in Kenya, I asked in a restaurant for 'elephant's balls on toast'. ****** me - they had run out of bread.

accyman 08-10-2011 19:21

when i rented a bedsit many years ago the landlady either took pitty on me or took a shine to me and used to bring me breakfast in the morning in a plastic bag usually considting of a few rashers of bacon,eggs,sausage and black pudding which i would cook myself.

occasionally she would waltz accross with either cowheel or tripe as an extra treat .So as not to offend and keep the good stuff coming i used to pretend i was saving it for later and dispose of it when i went out on my travels.No matter how much i tried to eat it just looking at it put me off lol

Even my grandpa use to try giving it to me when i was a kid assuring me it was good for me but once a fussy eater always a fussy eater lol

Gordon Booth 08-10-2011 19:45

Shortly after we met my (future) wife invited me to dinner with her family. Her mother had cooked a special meal of tripe as she said I was so thin, I needed feeding up.
As I needed feeding up, she gave me an extra large portion! I'd never had it and didn't like the looks of it( I hated fat and this looked similar to raw fat ). They all sat waiting for me to approve- I cut off a small piece, put it in my mouth and was immediately sick all over the table!
Not a good first impression and I've never touched it since.

emamum 08-10-2011 20:03

boiled black puddings from a stall on burnley market are the best, they're only 70p :)

mobertol 08-10-2011 20:35

I remember my Grandad used to love tripe cold with salt, pepper and vinegar.

I can't stand it.

Here in italy they cut it into thin strips and cook it in a sort of Minestrone soup -it's still disgusting!

One thing I did love - which mum used to get on the market, was Broth -she used to get the ready made mix and add Ham shank and then dumplings. Delicious -great on a cold winter's day.:p