Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2007, 19:41   #1
Resting in Peace

home made cow heal pie

home made cow heal pie

anyone know how to make this, my gran used to make when I was little...
said the gravy would stick to me ribs....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2007, 19:43   #2
God Member

Re: home made cow heal pie

eeewwwwww sorry magpie that sounds awful
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 19:47   #3
Resting in Peace

no really it was very good. but I can't think what she put in it apart from the cow heal, when it was cooked my little brother used to suck on the cow's heal to help him with his teething:

unless this was an early form of child cruelty hm I wonder, I thought all the kids had this to eat:
Old 23-01-2007, 19:55   #4
Senior Member+

Had it myself when iwas younger.Loved it,sucked sticky bones the lot.Believe me that gravy does stick to your ribs.Tripe and onion soup as well,great for those freezing winter days.Alas i've had neither since i was a teen & could'nt tell you how to make it.
Old 23-01-2007, 19:57   #5
Resting in Peace

ah thank goodness for that Mawell silver .... thought it was my gran being mean to me: yes it did taste really good:
Old 23-01-2007, 19:59   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

tripe and onion!!! omg thats yuk!!! i feel ill now
Old 23-01-2007, 20:12   #7
Senior Member+

a traditional lancashire dish from ww2 when rations were scarce
here's my interpretation whether it wil be exact i don't know i only made this a couple of times down south to bring in a bit of tradition to theme nights etc.
here goes.

1/2 lb cows heels cleaned and scraped
1/2 lb shin beef
1 large onion
salt and pepper

for the pastry

1/2lb plain flour
1/4lb marge
1/4lb lard
4 tbsp water

add the cows heels, beef chopped & onion to a pan of water bring to the boil and simmer for at least 3 hours

cover with the pastry and bake for 45 mins (about 180 oC)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:19   #8
God Member

You can buy cow heel on the market on the black pudding stall. My mum still buys it and makes it. She prefers to use Skirt beef but any tough old cut is suitable (Don't use steak as it needs to be tough to survive teh long cooking time, it will become lovely and tender)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:21   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
You can buy cow heel on the market on the black pudding stall. My mum still buys it and makes it. She prefers to use Skirt beef but any tough old cut is suitable (Don't use steak as it needs to be tough to survive teh long cooking time, it will become lovely and tender)

i agree skirt good too as it makes a lovely rich gravy
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:29   #10
God Member

think there used to be a chain of shops which sold that stuff , cowheels, tripe , oxtails etc. U C P springs to mind , for some reason seem to remember they had a restaurent/cafe in Blackpool in the 50s , but could be wrong .

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/hext...aspx?id=443675

Last edited by steeljack; 23-01-2007 at 20:35. Reason: addendum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 21:01   #11

Now this sounds like my type of grub, will be givin it a try this weekend ill
try it with a couple apound ashin, washed down with a bottle or so of last years elderberrie wine.
moonshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 23:55   #12
Senior Member+

I really love blackpudding. I spotted some here once, bought it and then found that it was sweet and had nuts in it. It looks exactly the same but is more like Xmas pud. Such a disappointment.

I donīt remember ever having cow heel pie but tripe was a favourite of mine. Tripe and trotters for tea with chips. Didnīt like it cooked though.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 00:38   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Didn´t like it cooked though.
I've wondered about this for years, was the tripe we ate as kids raw , straight from the cow ? or when our Mums cooked it were they cooking it a second time ? I allways remember it being on show on white marble slabs and kept semi-chilled , but did it come straight from the slaughter house to our plates without any processing , one thing we never heard of mad cow in them days
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 06:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Will make you big and strong, after all, was it not Desperate Dan who used to gain his strength from this ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 06:21   #15
God Member

Its been boiled and bleached when you buy it, you then cook it a second time (usually in Milk) with onions.

The blackpudding they have at our canteen in a morning is absolutely disgusting. I won't even try it anymore.

The 'stickiness' from cowheel comes from the gelatin in the bone and gristle. Its tasty too..

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..