Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   carpets (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/carpets-34833.html)

Yolanda25 14-11-2007 20:36

carpets

Hiya, i was wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice in where to find a cheap place for carpets, im in desperate need of changing mine as the one i got is turned horrible over the past year with my child and dog getting it all dirty, i have tried to clean it but im just fed up and im in need of a darker colour, anyone's advice?
thankshttp://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...ons/icon11.gif

MargaretR 14-11-2007 20:54

Re: carpets

It always works out cheaper if you buy 'roll ends'. These are pieces which vary in size but you will rarely find one that is big enough for a room more than 13ft wide, which is the standard width for carpet rolls.
There are numerous places which sell roll ends locally.
Two I have used in the past-
Accrington Carpet & Bed centre on Blackburn Rd near Antley. I am not sure whether they are still in business because they had a bad fire less than a year ago (other forum members wil know)
John West carpets on Moscow Mill St opposite the Ossy Mills car park.
Both these have a carpet fitting service if you need it.

Winfields used to sell carpets but I have never bought there, may still sell them.
No doubt other member here will know of more retailers - you will be spoilt for choice :D

lancsdave 14-11-2007 21:01

Accrington Carpet & Bed Centre reopened this week.

We used one near Asda, can't think of the name now. It's on Electricty St

Lilly 14-11-2007 21:08

I have used Wests on Moscow Mill Street in the past.

I have also used Mears in Preston.

I would recommend both.

lancsdave 14-11-2007 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 493700)

Found it now

J B Carpets
Electricity House/Electricity St
Accrington, BB5 1EF

Bonnyboy 14-11-2007 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 493700)

JB Carpets. I've used them to. Decent price, helpful staff, came when they said they would to fit. No complaints.

WillowTheWhisp 14-11-2007 21:45

There's one in Blackburn, jut as you approach Eanam, what used to be the Hopwood Arms on Accrington Road.

buttonsmum 14-11-2007 21:50

We have always used Wests on Moscow Mill Street, never had any problems and reasonably priced.

katex 14-11-2007 22:02

All good advice Yolande .. lots of place, including the one down Victoria Street in Clayton .. 'Select Carpets' or summat.

I have learned over the years, having had dogs, budgies, cats, children .. gonna' pay a little more for wool, no dark ones ..yuk .. show every crumb dropped !

Wool will clean, particularly with a pattern .. no plain please. Heard lots of people state that they don't want to pay a lot 'cause they have above mentioned creatures living in their house .. :D, but worth it in the end ..no polypropolenes (new buzz description for synthetic carpets).

Sure you will be able to pick up a good bargain .. but go for wool mix please.

Bonnyboy 14-11-2007 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttonsmum (Post 493742)
We have always used Wests on Moscow Mill Street, never had any problems and reasonably priced.

I've used Wests in the past and they are all that you say. I went elsewhere due to one thing. Last time I nearly had to start arguing with the fitters to take the old carpets away. Wests most likely contract out the carpet fitting ( like everyone else ) I just dint need the hassle tho. :)

cashman 14-11-2007 22:27

some good advice there yolanda, would suggest you give the "retail parks" a miss, have used differant ones twice in 30 odd yrs, both times was Not satisfied,never had a complaint with those mentioned.;)

Yolanda25 15-11-2007 07:26

thank you very much to all for your advice, it is much aprecciated, i have taken notes of all the places and i would be ringing tomorrow to get quotes and see wich one is best.
Thank you

MargaretR 15-11-2007 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yolanda25 (Post 493892)
thank you very much to all for your advice, it is much aprecciated, i have taken notes of all the places and i would be ringing tomorrow to get quotes and see wich one is best.
Thank you

If you just ring up with your room size they are likely to quote you the 'off the roll' price. The roll ends are like remnants to a fabric shop - they aren't likely to know the price and size of them all for a phone call because every one is different in size, quality and price.
Better to go and look - and try bartering the price down :D

Yolanda25 15-11-2007 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 493893)
If you just ring up with your room size they are likely to quote you the 'off the roll' price. The roll ends are like remnants to a fabric shop - they aren't likely to know the price and size of them all for a phone call because every one is different in size, quality and price.
Better to go and look - and try bartering the price down :D

Thank for the hint, i will be doing that hehehhttp://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...ons/icon12.gif

AccyMad 15-11-2007 09:01

Another good one to try is Archers Carpets on Belgarth Road in Accrington, very reasonable - they usually have a selection of roll ends too.