Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 20:36   #1
Senior Member+

Red face carpets

Hiya, i was wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice in where to find a cheap place for carpets, im in desperate need of changing mine as the one i got is turned horrible over the past year with my child and dog getting it all dirty, i have tried to clean it but im just fed up and im in need of a darker colour, anyone's advice?
thanks
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2007, 20:54   #2
God Member

Re: carpets

It always works out cheaper if you buy 'roll ends'. These are pieces which vary in size but you will rarely find one that is big enough for a room more than 13ft wide, which is the standard width for carpet rolls.
There are numerous places which sell roll ends locally.
Two I have used in the past-
Accrington Carpet & Bed centre on Blackburn Rd near Antley. I am not sure whether they are still in business because they had a bad fire less than a year ago (other forum members wil know)
John West carpets on Moscow Mill St opposite the Ossy Mills car park.
Both these have a carpet fitting service if you need it.

Winfields used to sell carpets but I have never bought there, may still sell them.
No doubt other member here will know of more retailers - you will be spoilt for choice

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-11-2007 at 20:57.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 21:01   #3
God Member

Accrington Carpet & Bed Centre reopened this week.

We used one near Asda, can't think of the name now. It's on Electricty St
Old 14-11-2007, 21:08   #4
God Member

I have used Wests on Moscow Mill Street in the past.

I have also used Mears in Preston.

I would recommend both.
Old 14-11-2007, 21:10   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Found it now

J B Carpets
Electricity House/Electricity St
Accrington, BB5 1EF
Old 14-11-2007, 21:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

JB Carpets. I've used them to. Decent price, helpful staff, came when they said they would to fit. No complaints.
Old 14-11-2007, 21:45   #7
Resident Waffler

There's one in Blackburn, jut as you approach Eanam, what used to be the Hopwood Arms on Accrington Road.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 21:50   #8
Senior Member+

We have always used Wests on Moscow Mill Street, never had any problems and reasonably priced.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 22:02   #9
Resting in Peace

All good advice Yolande .. lots of place, including the one down Victoria Street in Clayton .. 'Select Carpets' or summat.

I have learned over the years, having had dogs, budgies, cats, children .. gonna' pay a little more for wool, no dark ones ..yuk .. show every crumb dropped !

Wool will clean, particularly with a pattern .. no plain please. Heard lots of people state that they don't want to pay a lot 'cause they have above mentioned creatures living in their house .. , but worth it in the end ..no polypropolenes (new buzz description for synthetic carpets).

Sure you will be able to pick up a good bargain .. but go for wool mix please.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 22:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
We have always used Wests on Moscow Mill Street, never had any problems and reasonably priced.

I've used Wests in the past and they are all that you say. I went elsewhere due to one thing. Last time I nearly had to start arguing with the fitters to take the old carpets away. Wests most likely contract out the carpet fitting ( like everyone else ) I just dint need the hassle tho.
Old 14-11-2007, 22:27   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some good advice there yolanda, would suggest you give the "retail parks" a miss, have used differant ones twice in 30 odd yrs, both times was Not satisfied,never had a complaint with those mentioned.
Old 15-11-2007, 07:26   #12
Senior Member+

thank you very much to all for your advice, it is much aprecciated, i have taken notes of all the places and i would be ringing tomorrow to get quotes and see wich one is best.
Thank you
Old 15-11-2007, 07:34   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
thank you very much to all for your advice, it is much aprecciated, i have taken notes of all the places and i would be ringing tomorrow to get quotes and see wich one is best.
Thank you
If you just ring up with your room size they are likely to quote you the 'off the roll' price. The roll ends are like remnants to a fabric shop - they aren't likely to know the price and size of them all for a phone call because every one is different in size, quality and price.
Better to go and look - and try bartering the price down

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 07:57   #14
Senior Member+

Wink Re: carpets

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you just ring up with your room size they are likely to quote you the 'off the roll' price. The roll ends are like remnants to a fabric shop - they aren't likely to know the price and size of them all for a phone call because every one is different in size, quality and price.
Better to go and look - and try bartering the price down

Thank for the hint, i will be doing that heheh
Old 15-11-2007, 09:01   #15
God Member

Another good one to try is Archers Carpets on Belgarth Road in Accrington, very reasonable - they usually have a selection of roll ends too.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..