Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   potty training (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/potty-training-35118.html)

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:32

potty training

Anyone got any hints/tips RE potty training?

emamum 29-11-2007 19:33

Re: potty training

boy or girl?? and how old?

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:34

2.5 yr old boy x

harwood red 29-11-2007 19:34

Crikey that takes me back a few years, only thing I can advise is clap like mad when they do something in the potty and leave them to run around in the house with no nappy then a quick move to the potty if you spot something happening :o

Then when they have used it take them up to the toilet and show them where it goes, then flush.... when they are using it regularly have another potty by the toilet and get them used to going in the bathroom to use it...gradually progressing to using the loo

Good luck, :rolleyes:

derekgas 29-11-2007 19:36

Hi Misskitty, I have always done it the same way, found it works for me, sometimes messy, but hey! You need time, obviously no nappy, and take the little one to the potty regularly, not too much, or they won't want to go on it, after several hundred attempts (seems that way), and a lot of hit and miss, the target will be hit (the potty), make a fuss! treats, and hand clapping! The little ones soon get the message.

emamum 29-11-2007 19:38

use undies, not pull ups, it helps if they can feel the wet, lots and lots of praise and tell them it doesnt matter if they have an accident..get an interesting potty.. the chair ones are good.. use it as a chair for a while, then change it to the pot.. try buying toys and books they are only allowed when they are sat on the pot...

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:38

I have had him a whole week without a nappy on....what does he do???.............

keeps all his wee n poo in till i put a nappy on for either his afternoon nap or bedtime nappy :(
i keep asking him if he needs to go n he just says no,
he does sit on the potty but wont do owt.....
Thankyou so much for the replies PLS keep them coming x

emamum 29-11-2007 19:39

and remember, no matter how stressed you get and how long it seems to take.... how many children start school wearing nappies?? it will click eventually

emamum 29-11-2007 19:40

try putting a nappie in the pot and putting the pot where he cant be seen...some like to do it in private

flashy 29-11-2007 19:41

Reece was just 2 when i potty trained him, as HR has just said make a fuss of him when he does something, dont ever be tempted to put him back in nappies once you've started though, it may be tough at first but persivere (sp) buy about 50 pairs of underpants because believe me you'll need them for little accidents, always take at least 2 spare pairs out with you wherever you go, if i was out shopping and Reece had an 'accident' i used to take nappy bags with me for the soiled underwear...this sounds silly but you'll need to do it (or at least i needed to)

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 498916)
try putting a nappie in the pot and putting the pot where he cant be seen...some like to do it in private

Thanks for that!we are gona start doing that tomorrow...

emamum 29-11-2007 19:43

potty training is a lot more fun when you have 10 starting at the same time!

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 498918)
R dont ever be tempted to put him back in nappies once you've started though

should i just get rid of the nappies for the day time altogether now then?

Once again thankyou so much for all these replies :):):)

mrskitty 29-11-2007 19:45

I assume you work in a nursery or something emamum23???

flashy 29-11-2007 19:46

i never put him in nappies at night when i stopped them during the day...he only ever wet the bed twice, i guess i was lucky, it is tempting to go back to nappies at night though, but i saw that as a step back, each child is different