Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Terry Pratchett advice? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/terry-pratchett-advice-4658.html)

mattylad 25-06-2004 10:49

Re: Terry Pratchett advice?

Let her read one & make her mind up.

She will need to understand sarcasm & some experience of murphys laws of life :D

The early ones were the funniest, but heck - whatever you can get would be fine to start her off, I'd suspect a desire to read them all once she has been hooked.
The library is a good place to get them from, they generally stock them.

KIPAX 25-06-2004 11:07

Quote:

Let her read one & make her mind up
You missed the point my friend :)

I ahve no intention of making the decision for her. I ahve no intention of even advising her what book to read. She is quite capable of making those decisions on her own. as is anyone old enough to read :)

The original post I made asked if anyone knew a reason why I should not suggest terry pratchett.. ie content?

Would anyone here like to reccomend a book to a 16 yr old then find out the content is X rated. I doubt they would.. So to play safe I asked first.

Now we know the authors work is suitable and many other titles that have been suggested (thanks everyone) she can and will make up her own mind as she is reading the thread :)

i merely wanted to check that I wasnt about to reccomend an x rated book to my daughter.... having seen posts in other threads calling me a control freak for asking in here... i really wish I had not sought help from this forum now:( however i do thank those that took the time and effort to respond and understand the original question :)

mattylad 25-06-2004 11:09

I guess I did miss the point, point taken.

Oh most definately not x rated.

quite the opposite in fact.

I have my 11 & 14 year olds reading them.

Darby 25-06-2004 11:35

I think your point was quite clear and very understandable, and I admire your approach and the care you show in trying to ensure your daughter does not read some of the extremely poor literature that is around these days.

But I think your statement "having seen posts in other threads calling me a control freak for asking in here... i really wish I had not sought help from this forum now" doesn't need to be in this thread at all. You were right in the first instance, and I still think you are right to seek other opinions.

Well done.

WillowTheWhisp 25-06-2004 11:42

It's simply like asking if anyone has read any good books they can recommend isn't it? Don't we all do that either on our own behalf or on behalf of others? I know I do. Sometimes somebody might come up with a suggestion you'd never even thought of and that makes life much more interesting. :)

KIPAX 25-06-2004 11:45

Absoloutly :)

mattylad 25-06-2004 11:47

"Rat on a stick" anyone?

Or perhaps you'd prefer one of Dibbler's pies.... maybe not.

KIPAX 25-06-2004 11:51

I am currently reading (When I get time) "The Sword of night and day" by David Gemmell. I ahve read all his books and this is his latest. Its not too heavy (reading duh) and can best be described as pure escapism I guess :)

pendy 19-08-2004 17:16

I am a total Pratchett fan - I just hope he isn't getting worked out. He can appeal to a wide range - kids will love the sheer lunacy of it (adults do, too) but there are so many layers. Both my children are keen Pratchettites, too, although much older than your daughter, but I think my son started reading TP about the same age. They are, however, the sort of books you don't read on the tube, train, bus, otherwise everyone thinks you're barmy - people lying on the floor writhing with laughter can have that effect!

Conclusion: would heartily recommend!

Bazf 19-08-2004 22:22

Anyone who puts DEATH in capital letters has to be funny so marks out of 10? at least 12!

But that was before DEATH started pondering the existential. Of course, the last thing anyone needs is a squeamish Grim Reaper and soon his Discworld bosses have sent him off with best wishes and a well-earned gold watch. Now DEATH is having the time of his life, finding greener pastures where he can put his scythe to a whole new use.

But like every cutback in an important public service, DEATH's demise soon leads to chaos and unrest -- literally, for those whose time was supposed to be up, like Windle Poons. The oldest geezer in the entire faculty of Unseen University -- home of magic, wizardry, and big dinners -- Windle was looking forward to a wonderful afterlife, not this boring been-there-done-that routine. To get the fresh start he deserves, Windle and the rest of Ankh-Morpork's undead and underemployed set off to find DEATH and save the world for the living (and everybody else, of course).

mattylad 20-08-2004 09:10

A trip to the library is called for, they usually have lots of them available.