Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2004, 12:51   #1
God Member

Terry Pratchett advice?

My daughter is just about to finish her last harry potter book. I am suggesting she read Terry Pratchett ... But I just had a thoguht.. I ahvent actually read any... I know its fantasy and comedy... But whats the content aimed at... not over 18 type humour is it?

I dont want to reccomend it then find not suitable for a young lady to read .
Old 23-06-2004, 12:52   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Terry Pratchett advice?

Not sure about the humour or adult content but I believe it's quite heavy going. What age is she?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 12:53   #3
God Member

16..heavy going?
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 12:54   #4
Resident Waffler

Not as easy to read - difficult to get into.

Old 23-06-2004, 12:55   #5
God Member

haaa .. Maybe a bigger leap than i thought from harry potter then
Old 23-06-2004, 12:59   #6

I only read a couple of chapters of a Discworld novel, but from what I read there was nothing in there unsuitable for a 16-yr old. Why dont you just buy/loan one and give it a browse yourself - nothing to lose have you?!
Old 23-06-2004, 12:59   #7
Resident Waffler

Somewhere in between Harry Potter and Lord of The Rings there's "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. Magic/dwarves/dragons/fantasy with a bit of elvish and celtic woven in for good measure.

Old 23-06-2004, 13:31   #8
Member.

Try her with The Wee Free Men and a hat Full of Sky - Terry Pratchett

I have enjoyed then both and will read them again.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 13:35   #9
God Member

Nice one... She reads the forum anyway.. so she will now know which to try first... No school for three months so she is gonna need a good read... Collledge next so a loong break for all the school leavers..
Old 23-06-2004, 16:35   #10
God Member

Unfortunatly i can't assist. My teenage reading years were 30 years ago...I've never read Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings stuff, although I did see & enjoy one of the HP films. I could only suggest starting on the Modern Classics...possibly Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451"....I could'nt possibly give the plot away, but needless to say it does involve a teenage girl exposing the fireman hero to free thought and speech in a society otherwise engaged in constant drivel.

Possibly some Orwell as well.......and possibly William Golding?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 16:43   #11
God Member

Never seen a HP film myself either.. thats quite a feat actually considering we have three video players and two dvd players in the house that have them on enough times.. not to mention sky constantly showing them.

I have seen trailers of the films and from the jist I got ..I thoguht she might like Terry Pratchet which I believe to be fantasy and funny... However as I am sure most will understand.. You dont really want to reccomend a book to a 16 yr old girl then find its full of adult content... its like your asking them to read it... So I thought I would play safe and simply ask if anyone who already reads them knew of any reason not to reccomend

I ahve always meant to read one (TP) myself .. but no time.. I ahve a book now that i wanted and its probably the first one in 2 years or more... and i only get short bursts of time to rad that.. ho hum.
Old 23-06-2004, 16:49   #12
God Member

I've never read Terry Pratchett, either, so I can't comment there. I've read alot of other modern stuff and in terms of structure, style and content most leave an awful lot to be desired...I can only think of one or two decent Booker prizes in the last 20 years...Mind you, Captain Corelli's Mandolin is well written & should appeal to a mid-teen girl (If she's not seen the piccy)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 20:06   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Captain Corelli's Mandolin is a lovely story. i have never seen the film but I was on holiday in Kefalonia when they were making the film, a beautiful setting and well described in the book. There is no adult humour or sexual content in the book, and I have a copy of it. If you would like to borrow it send a pm..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 09:03   #14

The best novel that I have read for some considerable time is "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier. I think it would be quite suitable for a young girl (I have given a copy to my grand daughter who is 15), as it is beautifully written, and does not use bad language or has any sexual connotations. It is very descriptive and has a strong story line, but contains many gentle parts. The film of the same name I found not to be very good and not fully representative of the book.

It's not fantasy, just a different story about different times.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 16:07   #15

Terry pratchet is so cool
he makes reading fun and is great to introduce to children aged 9-16

*this is not an advertisment and i do not have a gun to my head as a type this and they did not pay me a tenner to advertise the books and terry pratchet is a rightfully owned slave for ASDA not a real person but i shouldnt have told u that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..