Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2004, 10:49   #16

Re: Terry Pratchett advice?

Let her read one & make her mind up.

She will need to understand sarcasm & some experience of murphys laws of life

The early ones were the funniest, but heck - whatever you can get would be fine to start her off, I'd suspect a desire to read them all once she has been hooked.
The library is a good place to get them from, they generally stock them.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2004, 11:07   #17
God Member

Quote:
Let her read one & make her mind up
You missed the point my friend

I ahve no intention of making the decision for her. I ahve no intention of even advising her what book to read. She is quite capable of making those decisions on her own. as is anyone old enough to read

The original post I made asked if anyone knew a reason why I should not suggest terry pratchett.. ie content?

Would anyone here like to reccomend a book to a 16 yr old then find out the content is X rated. I doubt they would.. So to play safe I asked first.

Now we know the authors work is suitable and many other titles that have been suggested (thanks everyone) she can and will make up her own mind as she is reading the thread

i merely wanted to check that I wasnt about to reccomend an x rated book to my daughter.... having seen posts in other threads calling me a control freak for asking in here... i really wish I had not sought help from this forum now however i do thank those that took the time and effort to respond and understand the original question
Old 25-06-2004, 11:09   #18

I guess I did miss the point, point taken.

Oh most definately not x rated.

quite the opposite in fact.

I have my 11 & 14 year olds reading them.
Old 25-06-2004, 11:35   #19

I think your point was quite clear and very understandable, and I admire your approach and the care you show in trying to ensure your daughter does not read some of the extremely poor literature that is around these days.

But I think your statement "having seen posts in other threads calling me a control freak for asking in here... i really wish I had not sought help from this forum now" doesn't need to be in this thread at all. You were right in the first instance, and I still think you are right to seek other opinions.

Well done.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 11:42   #20
Resident Waffler

It's simply like asking if anyone has read any good books they can recommend isn't it? Don't we all do that either on our own behalf or on behalf of others? I know I do. Sometimes somebody might come up with a suggestion you'd never even thought of and that makes life much more interesting.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 11:45   #21
God Member

Absoloutly
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 11:47   #22

"Rat on a stick" anyone?

Or perhaps you'd prefer one of Dibbler's pies.... maybe not.
Old 25-06-2004, 11:51   #23
God Member

I am currently reading (When I get time) "The Sword of night and day" by David Gemmell. I ahve read all his books and this is his latest. Its not too heavy (reading duh) and can best be described as pure escapism I guess
Old 19-08-2004, 17:16   #24
Resting in peace

I am a total Pratchett fan - I just hope he isn't getting worked out. He can appeal to a wide range - kids will love the sheer lunacy of it (adults do, too) but there are so many layers. Both my children are keen Pratchettites, too, although much older than your daughter, but I think my son started reading TP about the same age. They are, however, the sort of books you don't read on the tube, train, bus, otherwise everyone thinks you're barmy - people lying on the floor writhing with laughter can have that effect!

Conclusion: would heartily recommend!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 22:22   #25
Senior Member+

Anyone who puts DEATH in capital letters has to be funny so marks out of 10? at least 12!

But that was before DEATH started pondering the existential. Of course, the last thing anyone needs is a squeamish Grim Reaper and soon his Discworld bosses have sent him off with best wishes and a well-earned gold watch. Now DEATH is having the time of his life, finding greener pastures where he can put his scythe to a whole new use.

But like every cutback in an important public service, DEATH's demise soon leads to chaos and unrest -- literally, for those whose time was supposed to be up, like Windle Poons. The oldest geezer in the entire faculty of Unseen University -- home of magic, wizardry, and big dinners -- Windle was looking forward to a wonderful afterlife, not this boring been-there-done-that routine. To get the fresh start he deserves, Windle and the rest of Ankh-Morpork's undead and underemployed set off to find DEATH and save the world for the living (and everybody else, of course).

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 09:10   #26

A trip to the library is called for, they usually have lots of them available.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..