Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   currant cake or east lancs sad cake (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/currant-cake-or-east-lancs-sad-cake-47961.html)

lalad 18-06-2009 20:15

currant cake or east lancs sad cake

does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake

Less 18-06-2009 20:56

Re: currant cake or east lancs sad cake

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalad (Post 722880)
does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake

It just a google away, here's one example:-

Recipe: Sad Cake

:cook38:

steeljack 18-06-2009 21:57

Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter . :cool: :cool:

Less 18-06-2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 722928)
Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter . :cool: :cool:

Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1290.gif

accyman 18-06-2009 23:14

sad cake.?

is that the one you eat 5 mins before finding out your diabetic ?

steeljack 19-06-2009 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 722950)
Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1290.gif

I was hoping one of the cooks (Westender or Margaret P ) or any other local cook would chip in with original Accrington/Hyndburn area recipe ;) ;)

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 08:20

Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.

grannyclaret 19-06-2009 08:25

ohhl lovely sad cake,,,,,its just pastry rolled out ,filled with currants or raisins add a blob of best butter and a sprinkling of sugar...bring up the sides just dampen the edges so that they stick together when covering up the fruit ,roll out making sure that the fruit spreads evenly,,(not all in the middle...put on a greased baking tray with the smooth side on top ,brush with egg or milk and stick in in an hot oven until golden brown,,,,,
yummy please send me a slice:):)

Dont forget to plaster it with lurpac

Barrie Yates 19-06-2009 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723002)
Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.

Exactly as my Mum used to make it but always with currants only - even sold it in the shop. My wife did a slight variation too the original by using sultanas whch made it juicier. Always better when eaten just warm enough for the butter to melt and soak into it. I still make it when I am having a baking session.

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 09:04

Grannyclaret, yours is the posh version of sad cake.......and if I make it.....not often these days......I add a bit of butter and sugar......but that isn't the 'old way'.
These days when I make pastry, I make exactly enough...only shred of pastry left over...certainly not enough to make sad cake......we do not need the temptation.

south aussie 19-06-2009 09:28

Quote:

Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!

jaysay 19-06-2009 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 723029)
Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!

I'll second that:mosher:

entwisi 19-06-2009 13:44

In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.

jaysay 19-06-2009 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 723088)
In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.

My other half's been getting me some shop made ones the last couple of weeks entwisi, I hadn't had any for ages, really enjoyed them. I also like Malt Bread too, can't get enough of it, thick slices with lots of butter :mosher:

flashy 19-06-2009 16:42

i always thought sad cake was the one without the currants

or so the grumpy old man next door always told me

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 17:17

Nope Flashy, it is called sad cake because it hasn't anything in it to make it rise.

flashy 19-06-2009 17:26

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok, thanx for that

Barrie Yates 19-06-2009 19:14

When we were in Saudi Arabia - where alcohol is strictly banned, my wife had another variation to sad cake - and fruit cake. She had a large glass jar full of currants ans sultanas topped up with "siddique"" the home distilled sugar spirit - similar to Bacardi, but had to be cut with water 2:1 as it was over 100% proof. The sad cake or fruit cakes were fantastic. :-)))

Retlaw 19-06-2009 21:00

Quote:

That sound like a Lancashire mon talking, "slatherd".

My mam used to make loads of it, she put plenty of sugar in, she use to fetch me one tu Fire Staion every wednesday, which were bakin day. One day I was out at a fire and she left it wi slop chute, (that wert nickname of one of the firemen, he'd eat owt) the lousy bu**er went and ate it.
Got mi own back, is next mug o tay ad Wigan squares in it.
Retlaw.

Mancie 19-06-2009 22:48

Sad cake?...sounds like an end of season treat for Liverpool and Newcastle supporters!:D

grannyclaret 20-06-2009 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 723141)
i always thought sad cake was the one without the currants

or so the grumpy old man next door always told me

no thats not sad its HEARTBROKE

jaysay 20-06-2009 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723149)
Nope Flashy, it is called sad cake because it hasn't anything in it to make it rise.

I know the bloody feeling Margaret:s_cry::s_cry::D

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 11:49

Retlaw, will you please enlighten me....and probably many others too.......what are Wigan Squares......and would this do the chap irreparable damage??

I have heard of all kinds of things, but never heard of Wigan Squares. I guess I have led a sheltered life. :D

jaysay 20-06-2009 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723352)
Retlaw, will you please enlighten me....and probably many others too.......what are Wigan Squares......and would this do the chap irreparable damage??

I have heard of all kinds of things, but never heard of Wigan Squares. I guess I have led a sheltered life. :D

If I remember rightly Margaret the are like current squares a bit tasty if I'm thinking of the same things as Retlaw

grannyclaret 20-06-2009 12:04

I've never heard of Wigan Squares either,,sounds nice

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 12:31

With Retlaw saying he got his own back by putting Wigan Squares in his tea....I thought they were perhaps laxative tablets...or something equally noxious.

Retlaw 20-06-2009 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723352)

Okay Margaret.
Wigan Squares were the size of a sub minature Rowntrees choc block, not more than 1" long, you broke one of the squares off when needed.

After that don't stray too far fom a toilet.

They were powerful little beggars.
Don't ask me why they were called Wigan Squares.
Last time I ever bought any were at Dicky Scents, he was a chemist on Nuttall St, near bottom of South St.

Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 15:39

Thankyou Retlaw for furthering my education, I thought that they might be something along those lines, but wasn't sure.

I know Nuttall Street quite well.....it was not far from there that I spent my formative years.
We used to go to Harry Booths butchers, and of course the Co-op grocer and greengrocers.... Mc Cartneys selling out shop,Bob Wilkinsons ironmongers shop as well, but strangely I cannot remember a chemists being along there.

Gayle 20-06-2009 15:49

Sounds just like an eccles cake or chorley cake - is it the same thing?

West Ender 20-06-2009 16:51

I was about to say that, Gayle. A Chorley cake is the plain pastry one, Eccles cake uses pastry made with butter, and both contain raisins. I used to make both, regularly, and never heard them called sad cakes. My Chorley cakes, like my mother's before me, were always plate sized and cut into "pie slices" before being buttered. :)

Barrie Yates 20-06-2009 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 723421)
I was about to say that, Gayle. A Chorley cake is the plain pastry one, Eccles cake uses pastry made with butter, and both contain raisins. I used to make both, regularly, and never heard them called sad cakes. My Chorley cakes, like my mother's before me, were always plate sized and cut into "pie slices" before being buttered. :)

I though Eccles Cakes were made using a type of puff pastry, whereas Sad Cake was ordinary pie crust pastry

West Ender 20-06-2009 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 723423)
I though Eccles Cakes were made using a type of puff pastry, whereas Sad Cake was ordinary pie crust pastry

So Sad cake is Chorley cake. :)

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 17:31

Historically sultanas were not used in sad cakes.......it was always currants.
And the pastry was off cuts which had been rolled many times so it wasn't as 'short' as Chorley cakes.
Extra rolling makes the pastry tough.....edible but tough.
Chorley cakes tend to be small individual size, but true sad cake is about the size of a dinner plate.
I have been known to use mixed fruit or sultanas when I have made sad cakes....and I have never made pastry just to make sad cakes it has always been off cuts.

West Ender 20-06-2009 18:22

I never made a Chorley cake unless I had pastry left over from pies etc. so I think we're talking more or less the same thing. I didn't use currants, though, only raisins.

The off-cuts from pies were, when my children were young, the bits that they made into a jam tart "for daddy". The pastry was rolled and stretched around until it was grey, usually fashioned into a vaguely round shape with a depression in the middle, filled with jam or similar and put in the oven along with the pies. It would emerge dark brown with black edges, the jam having bubbled out over the sides, and be presented to daddy who, brave man that he was, always ate it and said how lovely it was. :D

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 18:32

Yes, the children and pastry thing was something that we did too.
Dads have to eat what their children have made them......with love, however unpalatable it might look.
I am not sure that many mothers bake today........I cannot buy frozen pastry.......I just cannot see that it is right(I know I am sad)......I much prefer to make my own, the same with batter for pancakes and yorkshire puddings.

Retlaw 20-06-2009 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723397)
Thankyou Retlaw for furthering my education, I thought that they might be something along those lines, but wasn't sure.

I know Nuttall Street quite well.....it was not far from there that I spent my formative years.
We used to go to Harry Booths butchers, and of course the Co-op grocer and greengrocers.... Mc Cartneys selling out shop,Bob Wilkinsons ironmongers shop as well, but strangely I cannot remember a chemists being along there.

All that area I'm referring to was facing towards the bottom of South St, on the last bit before you get to Wellington St. There was a French Polishers shop on there as well as Dicky Scent. What you are refering to was further up, the Co-op was on the corner with Edmund St. Thorpes Greengrocery was 1/2 way along the left hand side, next to joiners shop, between Royds St, and Edmund St.
Retlaw.

Gayle 20-06-2009 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723456)
Yes, the children and pastry thing was something that we did too.
Dads have to eat what their children have made them......with love, however unpalatable it might look.
I am not sure that many mothers bake today........I cannot buy frozen pastry.......I just cannot see that it is right(I know I am sad)......I much prefer to make my own, the same with batter for pancakes and yorkshire puddings.

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at my friend's house down the road. Her mum was a proper mumsy sort of mum, always rustling up cakes and pies - especially in summer.

A few years ago I phoned her up for the recipe for blackberry pie, just to check how she made it. She said, 'just get some frozen pastry, put the clean blackberries in, add sugar and bake'. I said, 'I'm shocked, all these years I thought you were a fabulous baker and I didn't realise you were a big cheat'. She laughed and said 'well, I'm not mad!'.

Ironically now, I discover that my mum always starts from scratch these days. :D

Barrie Yates 21-06-2009 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723437)
Historically sultanas were not used in sad cakes.......it was always currants.
And the pastry was off cuts which had been rolled many times so it wasn't as 'short' as Chorley cakes.
Extra rolling makes the pastry tough.....edible but tough.
Chorley cakes tend to be small individual size, but true sad cake is about the size of a dinner plate.
I have been known to use mixed fruit or sultanas when I have made sad cakes....and I have never made pastry just to make sad cakes it has always been off cuts.

That is exactly as I remembered, Chorley and Eccles cakes were much smaller - 3" or so diameter, but sadcake was dinner plate size. I also suffered with a smile as I ate the efforts of 3 sons but that proved to be a worthwhile sacrifice as they are all very competent cooks now.