Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2009, 20:15   #1

currant cake or east lancs sad cake

does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake
lalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2009, 20:56   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: currant cake or east lancs sad cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalad View Post
does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake
It just a google away, here's one example:-

Recipe: Sad Cake

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 21:57   #3
God Member

Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 22:21   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter .
Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 23:14   #5
God Member

sad cake.?

is that the one you eat 5 mins before finding out your diabetic ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 00:53   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
I was hoping one of the cooks (Westender or Margaret P ) or any other local cook would chip in with original Accrington/Hyndburn area recipe
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:20   #7
Beacon of light

Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:25   #8
white rabbits

ohhl lovely sad cake,,,,,its just pastry rolled out ,filled with currants or raisins add a blob of best butter and a sprinkling of sugar...bring up the sides just dampen the edges so that they stick together when covering up the fruit ,roll out making sure that the fruit spreads evenly,,(not all in the middle...put on a greased baking tray with the smooth side on top ,brush with egg or milk and stick in in an hot oven until golden brown,,,,,
yummy please send me a slice

Dont forget to plaster it with lurpac

Last edited by grannyclaret; 19-06-2009 at 08:27.
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 08:45   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.
Exactly as my Mum used to make it but always with currants only - even sold it in the shop. My wife did a slight variation too the original by using sultanas whch made it juicier. Always better when eaten just warm enough for the butter to melt and soak into it. I still make it when I am having a baking session.
Old 19-06-2009, 09:04   #10
Beacon of light

Grannyclaret, yours is the posh version of sad cake.......and if I make it.....not often these days......I add a bit of butter and sugar......but that isn't the 'old way'.
These days when I make pastry, I make exactly enough...only shred of pastry left over...certainly not enough to make sad cake......we do not need the temptation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 09:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 10:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!
I'll second that
Old 19-06-2009, 13:44   #13
God Member

In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 15:57   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.
My other half's been getting me some shop made ones the last couple of weeks entwisi, I hadn't had any for ages, really enjoyed them. I also like Malt Bread too, can't get enough of it, thick slices with lots of butter
Old 19-06-2009, 16:42   #15
God Member

i always thought sad cake was the one without the currants

or so the grumpy old man next door always told me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..