Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   currant cake or east lancs sad cake (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/currant-cake-or-east-lancs-sad-cake-47961.html)

lalad 18-06-2009 20:15

currant cake or east lancs sad cake

does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake

Less 18-06-2009 20:56

Re: currant cake or east lancs sad cake

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalad (Post 722880)
does anyone know a recepe for sad cake or currant cake

It just a google away, here's one example:-

Recipe: Sad Cake

:cook38:

steeljack 18-06-2009 21:57

Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter . :cool: :cool:

Less 18-06-2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 722928)
Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter . :cool: :cool:

Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1290.gif

accyman 18-06-2009 23:14

sad cake.?

is that the one you eat 5 mins before finding out your diabetic ?

steeljack 19-06-2009 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 722950)
Maybe so, but I'm not posting all the results they can look for the one that suits them.
http://planetsmilies.net/person-smiley-1290.gif

I was hoping one of the cooks (Westender or Margaret P ) or any other local cook would chip in with original Accrington/Hyndburn area recipe ;) ;)

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 08:20

Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.

grannyclaret 19-06-2009 08:25

ohhl lovely sad cake,,,,,its just pastry rolled out ,filled with currants or raisins add a blob of best butter and a sprinkling of sugar...bring up the sides just dampen the edges so that they stick together when covering up the fruit ,roll out making sure that the fruit spreads evenly,,(not all in the middle...put on a greased baking tray with the smooth side on top ,brush with egg or milk and stick in in an hot oven until golden brown,,,,,
yummy please send me a slice:):)

Dont forget to plaster it with lurpac

Barrie Yates 19-06-2009 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723002)
Well, i have just seen this....the Google recipe certainly isn't sad cake.......there is no recipe for sad cake.
Sad cake is just a lancashire thrift thing......a way of using up the offcuts of pastry.

the offcuts are made into a ball and rolled out to the thickness of a pound coin........a mound of dried fruit(currants or raisins....but historically it was always currant)......you can add a teaspoon of sugar if you wish, but my grandma was too thrifty to use sugar in this way......brush the edges of the circle of pastry with water, and fold them over to envelope the fruit.......roll gently with a rolling pin, and then turn the flattened mix over and roll out evenly....this will distribute the fruit.......don't roll the cake out too thinly or the fruit will break through the pastry........brush the sad cake with milk and bake at gas mark 7(I don't know what this is in in temperatures....but it is whatever you would bake pastry at) until golden brown.......allow to cool (if you can)....then once cool spread with butter and make yourself a good cuppa and enjoy.
Hope that helps.

Exactly as my Mum used to make it but always with currants only - even sold it in the shop. My wife did a slight variation too the original by using sultanas whch made it juicier. Always better when eaten just warm enough for the butter to melt and soak into it. I still make it when I am having a baking session.

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 09:04

Grannyclaret, yours is the posh version of sad cake.......and if I make it.....not often these days......I add a bit of butter and sugar......but that isn't the 'old way'.
These days when I make pastry, I make exactly enough...only shred of pastry left over...certainly not enough to make sad cake......we do not need the temptation.

south aussie 19-06-2009 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 722928)

Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!

jaysay 19-06-2009 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 723029)
Nowt wrong wi that owd lad!

I'll second that:mosher:

entwisi 19-06-2009 13:44

In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.

jaysay 19-06-2009 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 723088)
In a similar vein potato cake as above but use up cold mash spuds, lovely with a spreading of garlic butter warm from the oven.

My other half's been getting me some shop made ones the last couple of weeks entwisi, I hadn't had any for ages, really enjoyed them. I also like Malt Bread too, can't get enough of it, thick slices with lots of butter :mosher:

flashy 19-06-2009 16:42

i always thought sad cake was the one without the currants

or so the grumpy old man next door always told me