Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   currant cake or east lancs sad cake (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/currant-cake-or-east-lancs-sad-cake-47961.html)

Margaret Pilkington 19-06-2009 17:17

Re: currant cake or east lancs sad cake

Nope Flashy, it is called sad cake because it hasn't anything in it to make it rise.

flashy 19-06-2009 17:26

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok, thanx for that

Barrie Yates 19-06-2009 19:14

When we were in Saudi Arabia - where alcohol is strictly banned, my wife had another variation to sad cake - and fruit cake. She had a large glass jar full of currants ans sultanas topped up with "siddique"" the home distilled sugar spirit - similar to Bacardi, but had to be cut with water 2:1 as it was over 100% proof. The sad cake or fruit cakes were fantastic. :-)))

Retlaw 19-06-2009 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 722928)
Think, maybe he/she is asking about the stuff Grandmas used to make during the 50s (no fancy ingrediants, just stuff in cupboard , it was about 1/2" thick and you slathered it with butter . :cool: :cool:

That sound like a Lancashire mon talking, "slatherd".

My mam used to make loads of it, she put plenty of sugar in, she use to fetch me one tu Fire Staion every wednesday, which were bakin day. One day I was out at a fire and she left it wi slop chute, (that wert nickname of one of the firemen, he'd eat owt) the lousy bu**er went and ate it.
Got mi own back, is next mug o tay ad Wigan squares in it.
Retlaw.

Mancie 19-06-2009 22:48

Sad cake?...sounds like an end of season treat for Liverpool and Newcastle supporters!:D

grannyclaret 20-06-2009 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 723141)
i always thought sad cake was the one without the currants

or so the grumpy old man next door always told me

no thats not sad its HEARTBROKE

jaysay 20-06-2009 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723149)
Nope Flashy, it is called sad cake because it hasn't anything in it to make it rise.

I know the bloody feeling Margaret:s_cry::s_cry::D

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 11:49

Retlaw, will you please enlighten me....and probably many others too.......what are Wigan Squares......and would this do the chap irreparable damage??

I have heard of all kinds of things, but never heard of Wigan Squares. I guess I have led a sheltered life. :D

jaysay 20-06-2009 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723352)
Retlaw, will you please enlighten me....and probably many others too.......what are Wigan Squares......and would this do the chap irreparable damage??

I have heard of all kinds of things, but never heard of Wigan Squares. I guess I have led a sheltered life. :D

If I remember rightly Margaret the are like current squares a bit tasty if I'm thinking of the same things as Retlaw

grannyclaret 20-06-2009 12:04

I've never heard of Wigan Squares either,,sounds nice

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 12:31

With Retlaw saying he got his own back by putting Wigan Squares in his tea....I thought they were perhaps laxative tablets...or something equally noxious.

Retlaw 20-06-2009 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 723352)

Okay Margaret.
Wigan Squares were the size of a sub minature Rowntrees choc block, not more than 1" long, you broke one of the squares off when needed.

After that don't stray too far fom a toilet.

They were powerful little beggars.
Don't ask me why they were called Wigan Squares.
Last time I ever bought any were at Dicky Scents, he was a chemist on Nuttall St, near bottom of South St.

Retlaw.

Margaret Pilkington 20-06-2009 15:39

Thankyou Retlaw for furthering my education, I thought that they might be something along those lines, but wasn't sure.

I know Nuttall Street quite well.....it was not far from there that I spent my formative years.
We used to go to Harry Booths butchers, and of course the Co-op grocer and greengrocers.... Mc Cartneys selling out shop,Bob Wilkinsons ironmongers shop as well, but strangely I cannot remember a chemists being along there.

Gayle 20-06-2009 15:49

Sounds just like an eccles cake or chorley cake - is it the same thing?

West Ender 20-06-2009 16:51

I was about to say that, Gayle. A Chorley cake is the plain pastry one, Eccles cake uses pastry made with butter, and both contain raisins. I used to make both, regularly, and never heard them called sad cakes. My Chorley cakes, like my mother's before me, were always plate sized and cut into "pie slices" before being buttered. :)