Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   Electritian needed , (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/electritian-needed-56680.html)

ian1 01-02-2011 18:15

Electritian needed ,

As above , i need a recomended sparky to have a look at my fuse box at home , and give me a quote on what needs fixing / replaceing , the 30 amp fuse (old baker light ) is getting red hot when we put dryer, wall fire ,deep fat fryer on , i went under stairs and it was full of smoke and could see the fuse glowing !:eek: i turned off the fryer and it cooled down but the fuse box and fuse look a bit sad , and i don't want it to burst into flames !!:dflam:
any help would be brill !
ian

Neil 01-02-2011 18:58

Re: Electritian needed ,

You had 3 pieces of equipment switched on that probably all pull 10 amps or more. Add to that the other electrical equipment plugged in and you were overloading that 30amp fuse which caused it to get warm. A photo of it would have been a nice reminder to other people to get theres checked out. You probably have a bad connection on that fuse causing the heat if it got that hot. The fuse would usually blow if it was that hot. What was glowing? The middle of the fuse or one of the ends?

I am glad you are going to get it looked at, please do it really soon before you have a fire.

ian1 01-02-2011 19:07

I could see it red hot at the top of the fuse , probly were the fuse plugs in to the box , I though too why has it not blown , the plastic cover of the box had started to melt a bit too ,
Thanx
Ian

Less 01-02-2011 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian1 (Post 879913)
I could see it red hot at the top of the fuse , probly were the fuse plugs in to the box , I though too why has it not blown , the plastic cover of the box had started to melt a bit too ,
Thanx
Ian

Unplug everything and do not turn anything on until you have had your electrics checked, unless you like seeing men in firemans uniform.
If you can't find an emergency electrician, I'm sure the fire brigade will recommend one.
Better safe than sorry, by the way, when I say everything I also include your computer.

Less 01-02-2011 19:57

You are still online, I hope you live alone, I don't want to hear about a family burnt to death, stop using your electric, if things are as bad ad you described, don't use anything.

Neil 01-02-2011 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian1 (Post 879913)
Thanx
Ian

Don't think why just turn it off and get it looked at by an expert.
The 30 amp fuse will carry a lot more than 30 amp before it blows. You have a bad connection which is causing the heat. A lot less than 30 amps is needed to create that heat. The more current you pull through that bad connection the more heat you will get.

It is unsafe, do as Less says and turn off your electric or you risk a fire tonight.

Less 01-02-2011 21:21

I think the guy is on something, (or extracting it).

Neil 01-02-2011 21:23

You can lead a horse to water but it can't put your fire out.

ian1 01-02-2011 21:51

All sockets are turned off and fuse is out got able electrics coming round tomorow , it (fuse ) has nearly fell in two when I took it out ,
Thanx for the advice
Ian
And am on mi phone writin this not mi computer ,

ian1 02-02-2011 12:39

Sorted , a new holder was needed as two wires were shorting it out , I have a pic of what's left of the fuse and holder , I'll up load it when I can ,
Ian

Neil 02-02-2011 13:22

Did you fix it yourself?

ian1 02-02-2011 17:59

Nope , I rang a mate who rents houses out and his electrition came round ,
Ian

Neil 02-02-2011 21:59

Please put the pictures on, I am interested to see the damage

ian1 03-02-2011 18:05

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 17408 Pic mi fuse :eek:
ian

Alan Varrechia 03-02-2011 18:31

Mmmmm, that don't look like fuse wire to me. Looks like spmeones put a piece of copper wire in instead, no wonder it didn't blow and got red hot. You were very lucky.:eek: