Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hints/Tips/Advice (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/)
-   -   how do I get rid of cat wee on my carpet? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f74/how-do-i-get-rid-of-cat-wee-on-my-carpet-64949.html)

flashy 07-09-2013 09:19

how do I get rid of cat wee on my carpet?

I have stupidly got another cat, had her 2 weeks, she's managed to scratch everything in sight, new wallpaper, my leather suite, new curtains, me, the other cat, but I don't want to get rid of her, she is 2 year old like my Bella, I got up for work yesterday morning and she had wee'd somewhere in the livingroom, and it stinks, I know it wasn't Bella marking her territory because Bella sleeps in my bedroom with the door shut, the cats are getting on now and I know the new cat (lady lemonade) will be trying to mark it as her own and all that.....so my problem is, how do I get rid of this awful smell? I know about white vinegar and I've already put down pure lemon juice, but it still stinks....HELLLLPPPP lol

PLEASE

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2013 09:58

Re: how do I get rid of cat wee on my carpet?

You need to find the place where the wee is......bare feet works well......unless it is a male cat and it is just spraying, in which case you have to trust your nose and treat the place where the smell is strongest.
A solution of bicarbonate of soda in water works well......sponge the area with the solution and sop up any moisture left behind with old towels.
You can sprinkle dry bicarb onto a place where the cat has wee'd...leave it overnight and then vac off. You may need to repeat this more than once to get rid of the pong.
Thankfully bicarb is cheap.
There are other commercial products on the market, but they aren't as cheap as bicarb.
Hope this helps Shaz.

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2013 10:00

just noticed it isn't a male cat so it is unlikely to be spraying.

Lemon oil will stop the new cat from scratching your leather furniture...or it has always worked for me...but you need to make sure the cat does have something to scratch...so a scrathing post is a must.

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2013 10:49

another way is if you know someone who has a steamer....either hand held or one of those steam mop things...the high power steam kills the bacteria that cause the pong.

cashman 07-09-2013 15:38

Don't shoot it shaz, or yeh will have crap on it as well.:D

flashy 07-09-2013 17:23

Thankyou Marg, I use bicarb all the time to get rid of smells in the fridge and on furniture etc, I bought a bottle of spray vinegar earlier and sprayed that, I took the carpet up and cut out the underlay underneath it that was smelling, I also sprinkled bicarb all over the corner where it is, I usually get my bicarb from Morrisons, where I THOUGHT it was cheap at £1.68, found it today at Aldi for 69p

Now my house smells like a pickle, but its better than stinking of cat wee I suppose

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2013 18:18

Aldi had a steam mop the other week for 30 quid, and while that might seem a bit expensive, it isn't when you look at what Argos and other places want to charge...and these are great if you have animals that sometimes have accidents...and they only use tap water so no harsh chemicals to go into the air or your fabrics.

flashy 08-09-2013 07:06

My dad has one of those green steamer things, works lovely on my kitchen floor, I'll use that, thanx again

Gremlin 09-09-2013 12:08

If the cat has a bed you wee in it, that will teach the little devil what it is like and maybe it won't do it on your carpet again.

Margaret Pilkington 09-09-2013 12:15

I don't think 'lady wee' is as pungent as cat wee Russell :)

Gremlin 09-09-2013 12:36

I will accept your observations Margaret.
I have never had a cat.

flashy 09-09-2013 13:06

Gremlin, do I reallư need to stoop as low as the cat? Lol, the smell went for a day and it was back this morning, its either done it again or it needs re-doing

Margaret Pilkington 09-09-2013 13:30

Russell, I have had quite a few cats...so I think I know a bit about the subject.
Shaz, it probably needs doing again...get that steamer on the go!

Gremlin 09-09-2013 14:32

Sorry for any offence ladies, I was only joking.

Less 09-09-2013 14:54

how do I get rid of cat wee on my carpet?

I've only ever had one cat, by coincidence supplied by flashy. (Nice cat shame it had your attitude). ;)

However, I suspect that because you take your first cat into the bedroom then shut the door, the new cat is trying a dominance thing.
Either let it in the bedroom or shut both out, the new cat will learn it's place when your first one gets annoyed with it.
At least then you'll only have blood and guts to clean off the carpet.