Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 07:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Any suggestions anyone??

OK, have given in and have rung NHS direct, just waiting on a call back form them now. Was up during the night, had to take painkillers etc for earache and I feel like ive done 10 rounds with Tyson, my eyes and face are sore to touch and my chest is no better so gave them a ring.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41   #17
Senior Member+

They have rang back and advised that I get in contact with my GP tomorrow and as for all the other symptoms, to take co-codamol so havent really helpep much (although if i get worse ive to ring them back)
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34   #18
Beacon of light

Emzy, if you are a patient at Pals Centre, there is a very good chance that you won't get to see a Doctor tomorrow.......!

A first aid measure...not instead of the Doctor, but until you CAN see someone.
Give yourself some steam inhalations....you need to do this every two hours.
A plastic/or pyrex kitchen jug is ideal for this......put an inch of boiling water in the bottom of the jug......put your mouth and nose over the opening of the jug(your nose fits into the little v shaped pourer) and breathe in the steam through your nose and mouth, until there is no steam left.
It works even better if you have some menthol crystals in it, but just steam alone will work.
It will make you cough, but the liquid in the steam will loosen the thick mucus and make it easier to cough up.....it will also loosen the thick secretions in your nose and sinuses....and this in turn may ease your earache.

if you have some lemon and honey drinks too they will help(it needs to be real lemon juice though....this seems to cut through the thick secretions too).

I hope this helps until you can get to see someone......and I hope you feel better soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Emzy, if you are a patient at Pals Centre, there is a very good chance that you won't get to see a Doctor tomorrow.......!

A plastic/or pyrex kitchen jug is ideal for this......put an inch of boiling water in the bottom of the jug......put your mouth and nose over the opening of the jug(your nose fits into the little v shaped pourer) and breathe in the steam through your nose and mouth, until there is no steam left.
It works even better if you have some menthol crystals in it, but just steam alone will work.
It will make you cough, but the liquid in the steam will loosen the thick mucus and make it easier to cough up.....it will also loosen the thick secretions in your nose and sinuses....and this in turn may ease your earache.

if you have some lemon and honey drinks too they will help(it needs to be real lemon juice though....this seems to cut through the thick secretions too).

I hope this helps until you can get to see someone......and I hope you feel better soon.
Luckily im not with pals, should be able to get an appointment at my drs tomorrow if i ring early enough, the always seem to manage to fit me in when I play the "single mum of 2 yr old twins" card lol
Old 07-12-2008, 14:02   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

pals is pretty good, me and ty always get in on the same day.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 14:52   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post

You are one of the lucky ones then................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:07   #22
God Member

Emzy did you go to the docs?
Old 08-12-2008, 15:42   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Emzy did you go to the docs?
No, couldnt get through to them this morning to get an emergency appt

Am gonna be trying again tomorrow though, most of my other symptoms seem to have cleared (or eased) now but am suffering with dizzy spells, guessing its to do with sinus' or ear or something but it aint nice and not good at all, especially with kids to look after. Am managing with them, thats not a problem, its just the feeling faint that is lol
Old 08-12-2008, 15:44   #24
God Member

Keep on at them till you get sorted, you can't be ill with two toddlers to look after
Old 09-12-2008, 19:18   #25
Senior Member+

Been doctors, my chest seems to be clearing up without medication so didnt bother him about that but did get my ear checked out and have an ear infection which hes give me something for so should be on the mend very soon lol
Old 10-12-2008, 08:53   #26

Anything with menthol in is good, such as eucalyptus, tea tree or peppermint essential oil (Olbas oil is a good mix too) - put two drops in a bowl of water, head over the water under a towel (careful of the steam) and breathe in the menthol. The steam will kill bugs in the throat and open up the chest.

A bath with a drop of tea tree in it is also good - dont use the other types of oil mentioned though as they're not good on the skin.

Echinacea is a good natural antibiotic. Capsules are available from health shops and pharmacies. Works a treat.

Garlic is also a powerful natural antibiotic - in food is best but capsules will do if you dont like the taste.

Dont forget sleep - its the best medicine around.

I also like to have a hot toddy if im really bad - shot of whisky, spoon of honey, fresh lemon juice topped up with hot water in a tall mug.

Hope you feel better soon.
Pamperqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:35   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
bet ya won't be saying that when yer older n tys grown up.
Old 10-12-2008, 14:54   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
bet ya won't be saying that when yer older n tys grown up.

Quite right there cashy....................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..