Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 15:35   #1
God Member

Bleaching Kids Socks

I am fed up to the back teeth of Reece 'nipping' next door with nothing on his feet but socks, i buy him 20 pairs at a time (primark £2 for 10 pairs) and i'm naffed off with the colour the white ones end up in, in the washer

I've just put a load of washed(still filthy) white socks in a bowl of bleach and hot water

BUT....................

how long do i leave them in there for?

i must buy at least 80 pairs of socks a year, he goes through them like mad....and yes that is 80 pairs for just ONE child
Old 18-08-2008, 15:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bleaching Kids Socks

Have you tried something like napisan to soak them in? I used to do the boys babyclothes in them and they came up white again (it managed to get away the food and puke that often stains ) I used to leave them overnight in a bucket and then washed them and they came up a treat, it might work the same on his socks, worth a try
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:44   #3
God Member

ooooo i've never heard of that Em, might have a scout about for that next time i go th'asda, cheers cocker
Old 18-08-2008, 15:46   #4

wish my lad could keep hold of his socks long enough for them to have the problem
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:48   #5
God Member

Any sort of bleaching will rot the fabric eventually, but since he will probably outgrow them before they go thin and drop in bits, I don't suppose it matters

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:48   #6
Senior Member+

not too sure if asda sell it, i used to get mine from wilkinsons but it was great. Try them in the bleach overnight though, that might shift it but if there that bad (which they probably always are) pre-treat them before washing them. Washing them washed the dirt into the fibres and can make the stains impossible to shift
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:52   #7
God Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, i wonder if that net curtain stuff will work on them too?
Old 18-08-2008, 16:15   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, i wonder if that net curtain stuff will work on them too?

DYLON....? It works on dirty white bra`s...............................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 16:20   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
DYLON....? It works on dirty white bra`s...............................

is that for dying nylon by any chance?
Old 18-08-2008, 16:21   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
is that for dying nylon by any chance?

No idea...........
Old 18-08-2008, 16:23   #11
Senior Member+

or you could dye them all blue or black, then the dirt wont show lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 16:24   #12
God Member

but that would totally defeat the object wouldnt it? i buy him black socks AND white socks, he wears different colours depending on what he's wearing
Old 18-08-2008, 16:26   #13
God Member

Just buy back, they go with everything, same goes for bra`s, no need to DYLON them........
Old 18-08-2008, 16:30   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Just buy back, they go with everything, same goes for bra`s, no need to DYLON them........

no they dont go with everything, when he's wearing trackies he wears white socks

whats with the bra thing you plank? you got a fixation with them?
Old 18-08-2008, 16:38   #15
God Member

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..