Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2006, 21:20   #1
mez
God Member

coldwater fish....help

just bought a fish tank .... now then ...i need some fish, i would like some nice fishies, the tank is 18" x 10" now how many should i get for a tank of that size.... they must be coldwater fish..not into all the messing with tropical , but i don't just want GOLDFISH.... HELP & ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Last edited by mez; 26-01-2006 at 21:35.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2006, 21:34   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: coldwater fish....help

We used to have some fantails and shubunkins. I'm not sure if that's how you spell them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 21:38   #3

try the aquariam at great harwood they av allsorts and will give you advise.
emmatjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 21:39   #4
Member.

Good luck Mez..........

http://www.thegoldfishbowl.co.uk/

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 22:06   #5
Senior Member+

Goldfish are dirty fish, can be really beautiful but poo a lot . I would suggest about 4/5 goldfish and one loach too keep the glass clean. A really good pump is essential...

Goldfish dont have too look like you are thinking,

Bristol shubinkins are really beautiful goldfish, a good one will have a blue body and red and white patch's(getting close to marine fish colours)

You can get some nice yellow goldfish, or a chocolate coloured oranda, a black Moor, or a real post box red goldfish.

Mixing other types of fish in cold water is sometimes a bit tricky, but goldfish can be really nice colours and shapes and are almost indestructable.

Barlows aquatics in accy are good, but see if you can talk to Giles as he is very informed. Pat Prices place on haslingden ind est is a good place to get quality fish, and good advice if you get the right person, many good breaders sell to Pat Prices.

I am a member of the British Goldfish keepers Society (Sad puppy) and to go to one of there shows is an eye opener, fantastic fish, and you get to buy some top breaders fish

Dont believe everthing someone in 1 shop tells ya, ask a few.

If I can find any usefull links I will post them....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 22:13   #6
Member.

My mum use to breed fish when we lived up church, both Tropical and Fresh Water. I use to love Black Moor's.......I also have vivid memories my dad bring a catfish home one day that had a face full of whiskers, it looked like it had eaten an octopus, my mother couldn’t stand the look of it and ended up cutting it whiskers off…..it live on for quite a while and end up being flushed down the bog…….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 26-01-2006, 22:23   #7
Resident Waffler

Cutting its whiskers off???????

Oh I'd forgotten that we had a black moor once too. It was a daft thing. Used to jump out of the tank. If we found it quick enough it was OK but one day it jumped out when we were out and that was the end of it. We found it dead on the floor.

Now somebody will tell me we should have had a top on the tank.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 22:25   #8
Senior Member+

Flushed down the bog Dead I hope... NOT alive

Catfish will generally eat anything that will fit in there huge mouths fish included I lost a lot of small fish after I inherited a strange catfish of Neil Soon ended up at Barlows Aquatics Catfish feed at night when your little fish are dozzing...

My Brother has had some catfish that ended up so BIG the only people that would take them where Chester Zoo.......
Old 26-01-2006, 22:28   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Cutting its whiskers off???????

Oh I'd forgotten that we had a black moor once too. It was a daft thing. Used to jump out of the tank. If we found it quick enough it was OK but one day it jumped out when we were out and that was the end of it. We found it dead on the floor.

Now somebody will tell me we should have had a top on the tank.
Yep, whiskers off……….I had one that would do that Willow. He ended up down the bog an all…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 26-01-2006, 22:31   #10
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Flushed down the bog Dead I hope... NOT alive
It was 40 years ago Simon....yeah, it was dead, either that or it was a bloody good actor…….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 26-01-2006, 22:33   #11
mez
God Member

thanks for the advice & help all of you, i saw the fish you have mentioned simon on the site doug gave me & was quite taken by the loverly goldfish types .....might swing that way........got a pump in the tank ..a flavel 2, tank set up had pump running for 1/2 hr
seems ok..... just need some fish ....was actually told about the one in haslingden mmmmm feel a car trip tomoz morning . thanks again guys o & gal.
Old 26-01-2006, 22:40   #12
Senior Member+

Mez you need your tank set up and pump running for a good few days before you put fish in.. the most important thing in a tank is Bacteria in the pump and it takes a while too build up, you can put some in out of bottles, but time is best, NEVER let any soap/chemicals anywhere near your tank, they will kill the bacteria and then your fish even if you have washed your hands in anti-bacterial soap and then put your finger in the water....POORLY fish...

Your pump will be a Fluvel 2, which are TOP pumps, a little pump with carbon filters in it would be good as an extra. Carbon 'polishes' the water and makes it really clear..

Enjoy.
Old 26-01-2006, 22:40   #13
Member.

I remember many happy hours watching them Mez, I don’t care what people say but some do develop characters of there own. Lot’s of sad lonely nights waiting net in hand ready to rescue fry before they got to the bottom or worse “eaten”………I last had fish about 20 years ago when I lived in Fleetwood. Lots of happy memories brought to life tonight. Thanks for that. Best of luck Mez, enjoy.

PS. Can we have Photos when your set up.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 26-01-2006, 22:42   #14
Senior Member+

Oh yes and 30% water change every week, using a water conditioner with the new water to cancel out harmful metals/chemicals...
Old 26-01-2006, 22:50   #15
mez
God Member

will still be asking advice simon even when set up, will try for pics doug & will of course name my little fishes .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..