Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: covering up air vents

Until Derek is back off his Hol's
Ventilation requirements for Fireplaces, Stoves and gas fires
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45   #17

Or

Carbon Monoxide
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
ok i know air vents are there for a reason but i've got one here that is making my living room freezing (especially being sat under it on the pc) its as if i've got a window open, is it ok to cover it up?
Thank you for you're curiosity and being sensible enough to ask when bringing this subject up.
If because of it you have caused someone else on here to check their vent's and if blocked have cleared them, you might just have saved an innocent life.

karma on it's way.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:03   #19
God Member

i won't say thanx because you may just bite my head off for saying it...but thanx anyway
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Good find Less

Quote:
Gas fires (Open) For 7kW input and below, there is no need to fit additional ventilation. Above 7kW, you must fit a 100cm² vent to floor or wall.
That explains why my fire is 6.9KW, just below the need for a vent. I would guess a lot are under 7KW. I will say on your fire somewhere Shaz
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10   #21
God Member

just had a look at the fire Neil and i can't see anything
Old 03-01-2010, 12:54   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Mine is a pretend coal one and the rating plate is where the gas knob is. I am sure there will be a rating plate on it somewhere.
Old 03-01-2010, 13:53   #23
God Member

mine is one of the cheapo council (sorry 'Twin Valley') ones, i still can't find it, its been in for 6 years (they did the windows, doors and kitchen at the same time just as T.V where taking over) its a monstrosity, a few months after putting these fires in they decided the rest of Blackburn where getting the flat to the wall fires with nice fire surrounds and we where left with this crap
Old 03-01-2010, 14:30   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

They should have left you with the instruction book for the fire. The info should be in that.
Old 03-01-2010, 14:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They should have left you with the instruction book for the fire. The info should be in that.
I think you will find there should be a plate easily visible on the fire, otherwise although only a technicality, it would be a reason for failing it, anyway our tame expert will know.

It is certainly the case when doing PAT testing on electrical/electronic equipment.
Old 03-01-2010, 14:47   #26

Less is right in what he says don,t cover them,be safe.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:07   #27
God Member

thanx for that Mallard
Old 03-01-2010, 19:15   #28
God Member

I have spoken to Flashy, there used to be a back boiler in the room, in which case it could be life threatening to block the vent up, as the replacement boiler was installed into the kitchen, and the current fire is less than 7 kw input, then in this instance it is safe to block up the vent, I am most impressed that Flashy had the sense to ask the question prior to blocking the vent, I happen upon blocked vents fairly regularly, and it is usually because the owners are experiencing nausea or the appliances are not working properly! If you have a vent in a room with a gas appliance please, for your own safety, DO NOT cover it up without taking advice from someone who is QUALIFIED to give that advice.
Trickle vents in windows are NOT to aid the burning of fossil fuels in appliances or grates, but to help prevent condensation.
Old 03-01-2010, 23:24   #29

Don't have air bricks or anything like that in my flat but have the vents in the windows which I have open 24/7.............which seems to work ok........when I was in my own house always had windows open to some degree as i have to have some fresh air flow or I cough my lungs up....so I think it's wise to have fresh air flowing through the house......
Old 04-01-2010, 07:06   #30
God Member

thanx for the phone call Derek, your a star

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..