Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2008, 21:44   #1

Give him a ring!

I lost a small diamond out of a ring about six years ago and was quoted £25 to replace it by a local jeweller - seemed expensive, so I left it.
Enquired again last week and the price was £40.
Then I was told about John Berry in Peel Street - Took the ring in yesterday - he measured it, had a diamond to fit, picked it up today-the cost £12, so if you have any jewellery repairs, you know where to go!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 22:01   #2
God Member

Re: Give him a ring!

Yes he is very good and I am lead to believe that all the other jewellers use him for repairs. The obvious difference being you pay extra to cover using their services!!!
Old 16-07-2008, 22:14   #3

Just to clarify ossylass. Did you get replacement diamond inset into your ring for that amount or did you find the lost one and have that set in place ?
Old 17-07-2008, 08:11   #4
Senior Member+

Ooooh might have to take my ruby ring in there to get the stone secured (before i lose it)

Is this the one just on the left just past the market?
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 08:24   #5
God Member

Yes Emzy just round the corner from cigarette kiosk
Old 17-07-2008, 08:27   #6
Senior Member+

Thanks, know where it is now, just wasnt sure
Old 17-07-2008, 11:33   #7
I am Banned

Are you sure it was a diamond, I have seen stones at gem merchants that take special equipments to ensure they are real.
Many man made stones can be made to resemble the real thing.

I went to Manchester Minerals and replaced a stone in the wifes ring, she still thinks its a true diamond, it would take an expert to prove its not.

Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
I lost a small diamond out of a ring about six years ago and was quoted £25 to replace it by a local jeweller - seemed expensive, so I left it.
Enquired again last week and the price was £40.
Then I was told about John Berry in Peel Street - Took the ring in yesterday - he measured it, had a diamond to fit, picked it up today-the cost £12, so if you have any jewellery repairs, you know where to go!
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 11:51   #8
God Member

Even if the diamond is real, they have quality differences - yellowish ones are dirt cheap and blueish ones are the most expensive. Internal flaws are how they determine whether a diamond is real -manmade ones don't have them, but a serious visible flaw in a real diamond also lowers the price

all info gained from watching QVC - sad life I led at one time

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:16   #9
Senior Member+

Cant they make diamonds?? Am sure its more or less the same way as natural (although with some mechanical help) so the process is sped up so they are real only cultured?? If that makes any sense at all, am sure I saw it on TV once.........
Old 17-07-2008, 12:28   #10
Senior Member+

I have been there , cost me the same to replace my diamond of a ring, i lost it at work nd of course never found it, to replace the diamond cost me 12 pounds as well and th ring was nice and shinny when i got it back
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:30   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Cant they make diamonds?? Am sure its more or less the same way as natural (although with some mechanical help) so the process is sped up so they are real only cultured?? If that makes any sense at all, am sure I saw it on TV once.........
Man Made Diamond Information

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:40   #12
Senior Member+

Thanks, am with it now ( i think )
Old 17-07-2008, 12:51   #13
Senior Member+

how about one of these?

Welcome to the LifeGem Home - Memorial Diamonds created from a lock of hair or cremated remains / ashes / cremation

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 14:10   #14
Resident Waffler

Those man made rubies and emeralds just don't look right to me. They look too perfect and artificial, but with a diamond it is probably less easy to tell if they are natural or artificial. Making them seems to detract from the beauty of having one though to me.

If it looks good and pleases you I don't suppose it matters what quality of stone is in there - unless you came to want to sell it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:51   #15

The diamond which Mr Berry replaced was only a small one - one of ten at each side of an emerald, but it looks perfect, I can't even tell which one he replaced. He measured it and said he thought he had a diamond to fit, and it was ready the next day.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..