Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2007, 17:19   #1
God Member

Help!!!!!

anyone know how i should clean vertical blinds???

i have six windows with them on (they're pink)

in a moment of madness today i decided i wanted to clean them, so i took the one down in my bedroom, this blind has 24 drops on it so i took them down individually and put them all in the washing machine...........

45 minutes later...........

the blinds are lovely and clean but have now frayed at the edges, ive put them back up in my bedroom wet, put all the weights back in them but they seem to of shrunk a little and dont seem as thick as they did.......but my room smells lovely thanx to the washing tablets i used

ok rant over...anyone any suggestions as to how it should REALLY be done?
Old 19-03-2007, 17:23   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Help!!!!!

Shaz you daft sod did you not put them inside a pillow case first?Thats what we got told by the manufacturers when we got ours for the last house.
Old 19-03-2007, 17:23   #3
Senior Member+

If its just dust, I'd get one of the Pledge Dusters. They come with a long handle for jobs like this. Otherwise, i'd have probably done the same as you and washed them.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 17:25   #4
God Member

oh ******....lol....when i had them fitted they told me nowt, i remember the green one's you had at the other house..................i'll remember to put them in a pillow case when i do the next window..cheers eebo
Old 19-03-2007, 17:26   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
If its just dust, I'd get one of the Pledge Dusters. They come with a long handle for jobs like this. Otherwise, i'd have probably done the same as you and washed them.

these are material blinds lolly, not metal ones love
Old 19-03-2007, 17:30   #6
Senior Member+

I figured that with you putting them in the washing machine. lol. I meant i thought it just might have been a bit of surface dust.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 17:47   #7
God Member

they're so dirty cos ive constantly got the windows open, and cos reece is a nosey ****** with dirty hands
Old 19-03-2007, 18:10   #8
Resting in Peace

Blooming hek Flashy ! What a shame .. don't know 'owt about this, but can't see that washing, even in a pillowcase, will help .. it's the water/temperature that will shrink them .. suspect should have been dry cleaned or summat.

Go into your local dry cleaners and have a word with them.

Hope they still look OK though, and tell that Reece not to be such of a 'blind twitcher' in future .. bless him
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 18:12   #9
God Member

for a more delicate wash, shove them in the bath with some washing powder and give then a gentle swish. If they are white then adding a dolly blue to the rinsing water will give you lovely bright whites.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 18:49   #10
I am Banned

god help us when she tries to clean thoose metal blinds we will be able to hear the racket from her wshing machine trough out lancashire
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 19:17   #11
God Member

Flashy i did all mine last year but i had to do them buy hand in warm soapy water then rinsed in warm clear water then drip dried em on the washing line , to me 4 days in all as i did a room a day..its hard work but it works good luck with the rest of em ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 19:18   #12
God Member

Flashy i did all mine last year but i had to do them by hand in warm soapy water then rinsed in warm clear water then drip dried em on the washing line , to me 4 days in all as i did a room a day..its hard work but it works good luck with the rest of em ..
Old 19-03-2007, 19:18   #13
God Member

grrrrrrr sorry about the double post ...
Old 19-03-2007, 20:41   #14
Senior Member+

flashy i do mine in the washer all the time just on a 40 wash though,when you wash them in the washer on a 40 wash then let them dry on the line buy some starch spray or just iron them and when you come to put them up again ,you will notice that they all dont measure the same length well guess what they prob didnt before you put them in the wash ,try to rearange them when you put them back up,a little rearanging goes a long way
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 22:43   #15
Yank in King Art's Court!

Take a guys advice, just turn em around!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..