Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2009, 19:55   #1
Senior Member+

Help needed for gas oven!

I know its a long shot but my gas oven is broken well i say broken when i turn it on the flame comes on but only comes on low even when i turn it up high it dont move!

Is it broken or is it fixable? will it be expensive? any help would be great otherwise i will be saving up for a new gas cooker!

By the way its a Cannon Oakley oven the grill and hobbs work fine its just the oven.

Thank you all soo much.xx
Old 13-05-2009, 20:50   #2
God Member

Re: Help needed for gas oven!

some only come on low for a short time then come on full after a few minutes

Have you waited to see if it 'picks' up?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 20:55   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
I know its a long shot but my gas oven is broken well i say broken when i turn it on the flame comes on but only comes on low even when i turn it up high it dont move!

Is it broken or is it fixable? will it be expensive? any help would be great otherwise i will be saving up for a new gas cooker!

By the way its a Cannon Oakley oven the grill and hobbs work fine its just the oven.

The thermo couple has packed up I got a new one for ours last year, place of Electricity St, cost just under £50. Fitted in 10 mins then another 10 mins checking for leaks, has worked fine ever since.
Derek Gas should be able to fit one in no time.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 21:19   #4
Senior Member+

If the thermocouple had packed it in only the standing pilot would stay lit. It is more likely to be the temperature control which can be replaced quite easily. Get a couple of estimates first though.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 21:20   #5
God Member

dont save up for one mummiboo, take a look on Preston freecycle x
Old 14-05-2009, 09:22   #6
Senior Member+

Its not that ive had the cooker for a few years so its not that.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:28   #7
Senior Member+

Hiya ian ive had the cooker for a few years so i know its not that but thank you anyway,hiya Retlaw, idont have a clue what it is i look on the internet and i think maybe the ffd or the fsd (cant remember of hand!) will pm derek gas i think. Hiya Ozzykid i will ring around and get a few quotes first thanks. Heya Flashy i am a member of freecycle though ive never had anything from there so if it comes to it i will post there first. thank you all. xx
Old 14-05-2009, 10:10   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Hiya ian ive had the cooker for a few years so i know its not that but thank you anyway,hiya Retlaw, idont have a clue what it is i look on the internet and i think maybe the ffd or the fsd (cant remember of hand!) will pm derek gas i think. Hiya Ozzykid i will ring around and get a few quotes first thanks. Heya Flashy i am a member of freecycle though ive never had anything from there so if it comes to it i will post there first. thank you all. xx
Its whats called the regulo on your oven. Its fitted in the gas supply on the back of the oven, a sensor known as the thermocouple comes from that, thro a litle hole in the back of the oven and sits in the pilot light flame, when it reaches the right temperature, it opens the regulo and allows full gas to the oven, which you then regulate with the tap on the front of the oven.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 13:10   #9
God Member

It is actually called an ffd (flame failure device) and is nothing to do with the regulo (regulator), have sent a pm.
There is a universal one which is ok for some cookers, but if the cannon oakley has a clock on it, the universal one wont do, it also means that the top, side and back panels have to be taken off.
Old 14-05-2009, 13:54   #10

If you don't manage to get your oven fixed I still have a gas oven for sale, did give details in March, £40
Kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:09   #11

Just check it's also not old pizza etc that has dripped onto the burners first
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:13   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Funny your mum and dad have exactly the same cooker and ours works fine the difference is i wont let your mum, children,or grandchildren use it
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 16:58   #13

it sounds like the thermostat coupling,there is a shop next door to james hargreaves plumbres on elecrticity st, accrington that sells these things, go and price one and get back to me,for any further info, gary
big lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 17:03   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lad View Post
it sounds like the thermostat coupling,there is a shop next door to james hargreaves plumbres on elecrticity st, accrington that sells these things, go and price one and get back to me,for any further info, gary
As a first post it is good that you are offering help.(even though that problem is 6 months old)
Best introduce yourself in the section provided for that.
Welcome

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 18:45   #15
Resting in Peace

I made the same mistake.

Am I the only one?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..