Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2007, 18:25   #1

How to keep a plastercast dry in the shower?

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep a plastercast dry in the shower/bath?

My son was pushed over at school on Monday and has broken both bones in his forearm and is in plaster from his hand to well above his elbow. We just got back from the hospital this afternoon, he had to go to theatre and have it snapped back into place

I'm going to try a bin bag and masking tape in the morning unless anyone else has any better suggestions!
Old 18-12-2007, 18:27   #2
God Member

Re: How to keep a plastercast dry in the shower?

Wrap it in cling film first. You can get special waterproof covers but they don't come cheap.
Old 18-12-2007, 18:28   #3
God Member

The bin bag was my method when my daughter broke her wrist
Old 18-12-2007, 18:29   #4
Resident Waffler

Bin bag and masking tape has always been my solution but take it well above the cast and make sure it's well sealed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 18:30   #5
God Member

Here's the link for the covers if your'e rich

ProtectaCast, Cast and bandage protector, Plastercast cover, Leg Cast Cover, Plastercast protector, Cast protector
Old 18-12-2007, 19:04   #6
Resting in Peace

the bin bag is good but also try to keep arm upwards so that water runs away from the sealed part of bag
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 19:06   #7
Senior Member+

nikki, how old is your lad?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 21:07   #8

bleedin ekk bet that hurt
Old 18-12-2007, 21:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
nikki, how old is your lad?
He's 13, year 9 at Rhyddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_firth View Post
bleedin ekk bet that hurt
Poor thing was in agony, it happened about 3pm, the school first-aider gave him an ice pack and they let him walk home from school as normal without so much as a phone call to me! He couldn't even put his coat on or carry his bag, thankfully one of his friends walked him home.
Old 18-12-2007, 21:31   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkival View Post
He's 13, year 9 at Rhyddings

Poor thing was in agony, it happened about 3pm, the school first-aider gave him an ice pack and they let him walk home from school as normal without so much as a phone call to me! He couldn't even put his coat on or carry his bag, thankfully one of his friends walked him home.
Surely that is unacceptable. Have you spoken to the school?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 21:34   #11
Senior Member+

was thinking that he is gunna struggle and might need help.... doubt a 13 year old lad wants his mum helping him have a bath....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 18-12-2007, 21:46   #12

Haven't really had the chance to speak to them, as I've been at the hospital since 3.45pm on Monday. I did send them an e-mail while I nipped home to pack an overnight bag for him to let them know he won't be in school and got the following reply this afternoon -

Thank you for your email. I have spoken to the staff who attended Daryl and have confirmed that Daryl's injury was the result of "horseplay" by another student. I have been informed by the first-aider who saw Daryl that she did not detect any signs that would indicate a fracture.

Obviously, I apologise on behalf of the student who caused the injury and I have excluded the individual and will arrange to meet his mother in the near future.

I have yet to speak to other members of staff who I believe may have been involved with the incident and will let you know if any further information comes to light.

Yours sincerely

B T Burke
Headteacher

He couldn't move his arm, was crying in pain, as soon as I saw it I knew it was broken, you could actually feel the bones protruding on the underside of his wrist! His form teacher rang me and left a message this morning asking how he was, I'll be speaking to them tomorrow after a good nights sleep and hope that I've calmed down a bit before then!
Old 18-12-2007, 21:47   #13
Senior Member+

ffs!! i am a first aider and i treat ALL injuries as fractures until i can see otherwise!

Old 18-12-2007, 21:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
was thinking that he is gunna struggle and might need help.... doubt a 13 year old lad wants his mum helping him have a bath....
LOL - I have had to help him dress & undress, and promise not to look at his bits! He's gonna wear a pair of boxers in the shower!
Old 18-12-2007, 21:49   #15
Senior Member+

awww, poor lad!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..