Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2007, 18:16   #1
Resting in Peace

Exclamation Lights on bikes.

Driving home tonight from Henry Street onto Dunkenhalgh Way to Clayton, encountered 4 young teenagers on bikes at varying distances. They were riding on the pavements, but did cross the dual carriageway/Blackburn Road dangerously without lights. One was riding a bike (he was the one that nearly met his maker) far too small for his build.

Just a mention, that if you buy your children expensive bikes this Christmas, at least provide them with bl**dy lights !!

Oh yes, and if possible, helmets and high viz jackets. None of these four young cyclists had any of these.

Last edited by katex; 15-11-2007 at 18:18.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2007, 18:19   #2
God Member

Re: Lights on bikes.

I remember when i was young, My dad put lights on my new bike.
I used to always forget to switch them on when it went dark!!

he caught me one night out on the street, yep no lights on!!

Next day he fitted lights with a big dynamo so that I didn't have to remember to switch them on

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 21:03   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

might be an idea if bikes could NOT be sold without lights? or would that be too simple? ya dont get a motorised vehicle without em, goverment should make manufacterers take some responsibility, after all they are "Road Vehicles"
Old 15-11-2007, 21:10   #4

Yes i do agree with you a bout that its the same were i live just off john st osw, and they are the same round this end.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 21:16   #5
God Member

Some people are just asking to be knocked down.
Old 16-11-2007, 08:46   #6
Senior Member+

Dont you think its strange how its illegal for a bike to be sold without a BELL! but its not the law that a helmet or lights be used!

Seems pretty stupid to me!
Old 16-11-2007, 10:59   #7
Senior Member+

I have bought many a bike without a bell !. I didnt know that mummiboo.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 16:14   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
I have bought many a bike without a bell !. I didnt know that mummiboo.
Yep all new bikes now come with a bell (usually a crappy little silver bell but a bell just the same!).
Old 16-11-2007, 16:54   #9
Resting in Peace

Even worse when there dressed in black(can we say black)nearly racked up a few points myself
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 17:06   #10
Resting in Peace

I think that they ought to pay road tax too.....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 18:04   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I think that they ought to pay road tax too.....
cant agree with that,not much wear @ tear to the road surface with a push bike. road safety for all is the objective.
Old 16-11-2007, 20:45   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Lights on bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
Dont you think its strange how its illegal for a bike to be sold without a BELL! but its not the law that a helmet or lights be used!

Seems pretty stupid to me!
Eh! Since when?

Go to Halfords! Not one of their bikes has a bell.

Highway Code for cyclists states:
“60
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.”

“64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

“66
Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted
Old 16-11-2007, 20:59   #13
Senior Member+

my lad got a bike christmas before last... boxing day i took the bell off!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 01:24   #14
Resting in Peace

YOU MUST NOT RIDE BIKES ON THE PAVEMENT,very true but half of the pavement on SCAITHCLIFFE St is a cycle track, well done HYNDBURN COUNCIL
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 07:09   #15
Resident Waffler

Have you noticed how the cycle track is next to the wall and the pedestrian bit is between the cycle track and the road. Clever bit of planning that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..