Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2006, 18:08   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Mobile Phone Scam

I have just received this warning, I am not sure if it is genuine but be careful just in case.

This is an URGENT WARNING received from HAMPSHIRE POLICE
18/01/06
Dear All,

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press # 90 or #09 or any other number. End this call immediately without pressing any numbers. There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your "SIM" card and make calls at your expense. Forward this message to as many colleagues, relatives and friends as you can, to stop it.
Old 21-01-2006, 18:23   #2
God Member

Re: Mobile Phone Scam

This as been around before Neil, have a look here

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 08:15   #3
God Member

Aye, Urban myth I'm afraid.

I'm surprised you didn't check it out first Neil!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 10:58   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I'm surprised you didn't check it out first Neil!
Why have a dog and all that
Old 22-01-2006, 11:30   #5
God Member

There is a scam, where people knock on your door claiming to be a bt engineer needing to check your phone, or that they've broken down and need to use your phone. They then dial a number thats 50 quid minute, three minutes talking to themselves and you end up with a 150 quid phone call to pay for.
Thats true, it's been on the news a while back
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 14:16   #6
God Member

We've done that one as well. The most that a call from a UK number can charge is £1.50/minute. So I'm afraid that t too should be placed in the realm of Urban Myths.

Old 22-01-2006, 15:07   #7
Senior Member+

they can scam my sim card if they want as I hav no cash on it !!
and I would suss the bt thing out staright away as I dont have a bt phoneline...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 18:04   #8
God Member

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...y/aa021898.htm
Old 22-01-2006, 18:07   #9
God Member

hows about this one http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07..._west_wickham/
Old 22-01-2006, 18:11   #10
God Member

Can't find it, but it happened locally to me, and it was 50 quid a minute in the report, so either they got it wrong, or they found some other way of doing it. If i find it i'll link it.
Old 22-01-2006, 18:32   #11
God Member

The £150 mentioned in the Registers report was built up over a period of time and was never a 'three minute call. Here is ICSTIS page on it http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/p...e_money_go.asp

Old 22-01-2006, 20:57   #12
God Member

Strange, so how did that work then, it would hardly be worth gaining access to someones house for that would it, yet it was in the local paper. several businesses were conned it said.
Old 23-01-2006, 07:34   #13
God Member

And papers never get it wrong? I have seen numerous occasions where a lazy journo has just printed something without checking it first only to find out it was incorrect all along.

There was a superb and elaborate 'sting' a few years back on a motorcycle group I frequent. It was noticed that stuff that was being discussed on the group was turning up as an 'exclusive' in MCN the week after. So a few of the guys planted this seed that Honda were about to release this revolutionary engined motorcycle that would absolutely blow the competition into the weeds. There was discussion about the engine config etc. Sure enough the week after a full 4 page spread including 'artists impressions' was there in all its glory. One of the regulars on the group is a journo in the motorcycle press and pointed all the monthly mags at this sting. MCN had very red faces for quite some time!

Old 23-01-2006, 21:18   #14
God Member

they must have, but apparently it had come from the local police, reported by a local paper. could it have been a number in another country?
Old 24-01-2006, 08:06   #15
God Member

Nope, the police themselve have been known to get it wrong. I actually remember this as I rang the police up at the time to point out their mistake. As usual I was fobbed off.

International calls max out at £2.18 a minute as well so not possible their either

Last edited by entwisi; 24-01-2006 at 08:09.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..