Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 12:28   #1

Need a Mechanic!!!!

Hiya

Is anyone, or does anyone know a good, cheapish mechanic or garage. My Car is refusing to do anything,not even turn over. Battery is charged, have tried bump starting it, but still nowt....

Can anyone please help????????????
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2008, 14:28   #2
I am Banned

Re: Need a Mechanic!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Hiya

Is anyone, or does anyone know a good, cheapish mechanic or garage. My Car is refusing to do anything,not even turn over. Battery is charged, have tried bump starting it, but still nowt....

Can anyone please help????????????
If its a petrol engine, then most likely seeing the weather we've been having, sounds like ice in the carb or fuel line.

When you say won't turn over, do you mean the stater motor won't spin the engine. Could be the battery connections, when did you last clean them.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 14:33   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If its a petrol engine, then most likely seeing the weather we've been having, sounds like ice in the carb or fuel line.

When you say won't turn over, do you mean the stater motor won't spin the engine. Could be the battery connections, when did you last clean them.

Retlaw.

I cleaned the contacts the other day when i put the jump leads on. The battery is fine and seems to be holding power and its lighting everything up etc. When you turn the key theres nothing, I tried bumping it earlier but nothing at all happened
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 16:54   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You said the engine will not turn over - do you get any noise at all? Switch your lights on and then try to start it. Do your lights dim at all. If they don't I would say that the starter is not trying to turn the engine over at all. That could be a solenoid problem or it could be an immobiliser fault. Do you have a spare key? - if so try and start it with that. What car is it as well please - the more info you can give the more we can help - is it petrol or diesel - what reg/year is it.
Old 06-12-2008, 17:07   #5

hiya everyone

Thanks for all your help, I've given in and sent it to a garage, well theyre picking it up on Monday. Hopefully its only a little poorliness as oppose to terminal

Thanks again tho
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 17:13   #6
Resting in Peace

Aah poor Onlyme .. 'tis rotten when they don't behave isn't it ? Probably nowt much.

Presume you were not in the AA or anything ... might be worth strongly considering. One of those things you take a gamble at, but even a flat tyre is difficult to change at the road side for us ladies, due to the tightness of the nuts. They are brilliant these days.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 17:28   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Aah poor Onlyme .. 'tis rotten when they don't behave isn't it ? Probably nowt much.

Presume you were not in the AA or anything ... might be worth strongly considering. One of those things you take a gamble at, but even a flat tyre is difficult to change at the road side for us ladies, due to the tightness of the nuts. They are brilliant these days.
hehe those tight nuts are a real pain arnt they . She is with an auto service Kate but not sure just what they did for her, Hubby seems to think it may be her starter motor. But even we give up with the car lmao!!!! oops sorry nic
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 18:03   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
hiya everyone

Thanks for all your help, I've given in and sent it to a garage, well theyre picking it up on Monday. Hopefully its only a little poorliness as oppose to terminal

Thanks again tho
Did you do what I suggested? I like to see if my remote diagnostic skills are accurate. If it is the key you could same yourself the hastle and money of the garage.
Old 06-12-2008, 18:33   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Our car was doing something similar, changed the battery and hey presto!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 20:06   #10
God Member

I will go with the starter motor.
Old 06-12-2008, 20:08   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I will go with the starter motor.
Wouldnt it still bump start if it was the starter motor?
Old 06-12-2008, 20:59   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Wouldnt it still bump start if it was the starter motor?
Yes it would. That is why I suggested the immobiliser circuit and suggested trying a spare key if she has one. Many cars now will not even turn over the starter motor if the immobiliser circuit does not recognise the key in the ignition, my Mondeo is one that wont. Most garages will be unable to repair immobiliser faults and will get an autoelectrition in to fix it. Then again many autoelectritions dont have the equipment to cure immobiliser faults either and end up getting a certain (infrequent) member on here to fix it for them.

Some people get mixed up between jump and bump starting - I am not suggesting this is the case here but I have heard many people say bump start when they have used jump leads.
Old 06-12-2008, 21:02   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes it would. That is why I suggested the immobiliser circuit and suggested trying a spare key if she has one. Many cars now will not even turn over the starter motor if the immobiliser circuit does not recognise the key in the ignition, my Mondeo is one that wont. Most garages will be unable to repair immobiliser faults and will get an autoelectrition in to fix it. Then again many autoelectritions dont have the equipment to cure immobiliser faults either and end up getting a certain (infrequent) member on here to fix it for them.

Some people get mixed up between jump and bump starting - I am not suggesting this is the case here but I have heard many people say bump start when they have used jump leads.
Tried both jump starting and bump starting (I know the difference luckily ) and tried both keys for her and still no joy
Old 06-12-2008, 21:04   #14
God Member

Sounds like its broke then!
Old 06-12-2008, 21:15   #15
Senior Member+

did you try kicking it and swearing at it?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..