Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2005, 17:22   #1
I am Banned

nhs direct

some ppl

Last edited by removal-man; 24-01-2005 at 03:58.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2005, 17:57   #2
I am Banned

Re: nhs direct

or u can access their website:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 21:32   #3
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by removal-man
had to use them today so here is the number 08452 262626
Odd, that isn't the phone number on the website.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 21:40   #4
Senior Member+

That's because the number is for removal men only!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 22:40   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
try ringing the number, thats the easiest way.
Old 23-01-2005, 22:41   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
change it to moron.
Old 23-01-2005, 22:53   #7
Resident Waffler

I wouldn't want to ring it without good reason because I'm sure they get a lot of phone calls anyway.

In fact I'm not even sure I would want to ring them unless it was an absolute last resort because I'm not altogether keen on the idea. The whole idea of health service by phone doesn't really fill me full of confidence.

I much prefer a real live doctor if I can get one - which isn't easy these days.

Old 24-01-2005, 03:57   #8
I am Banned

this service was used for my lad. we telephoned them, gave his symptoms, she had a qualified nurse ring back in less than 5 mins, she gave a appointment with a emergency doctor at queens park, the doctor saw him, said it was his appendix, rang blackburn royal, sorted a bed, he was being operated on 2 hours after the first phone call. quicker than trying to get your own doctor to come .
Old 24-01-2005, 07:01   #9
Resident Waffler

That's excellent service. The only previous accounts I've heard from other people were very discouraging ones where they were more or less fobbed off. Good to know that in an emergency situation they reacted so well.

Old 24-01-2005, 08:06   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have never dealt directly with them, but we get a lot of referrals from them, most of which are completely unnecessary. It is difficult trying to get a history from somebody over the telephone. Most people are very wishy- washy about their symptoms. If you mention a symptom to someone they suddenly have it, even if they have never mentioned it before. It happens where I work all the time. It's good to hear that they can react well in an emergency but all we see are the hundreds of needless admissions to us and I'm not exaggerating. We have just over 3700 deliveries per year but well over 12000 admissions to labour ward roughly 3.5 admissions per person. Bear in mind that some people don't attend until they are actually in labour therefore only have 1 admission and a small number of people who do attend before labour are genuinely in need of admission. The majority of people we see could be treated by the GP or take 2 paracetamol at home.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 08:41   #11
God Member

I've used them in the past, I ended up with a nosebleed during the night. After 60 mins of gushing I was getting a little worried, SWMBO rang them and they said I should play safe and go to casualty. It bled like billyho all the way there and stopped just as the doctor started looking at me.

I think it is a good idea to run symptons past someone. Perhaps their training needs be balanced between filtering out needless referrals and making sure that all true emergecies are identified. Imagine the outcry if 1 case was missed.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 09:51   #12
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
..........if 1 case was missed.
That's the possibility which worries me. I'm just not at ease with the whole idea of NHS direct.

Old 24-01-2005, 10:41   #13
Senior Member+

i had to ring nhs direct when my daughters face swelled up, i rang gave the symptoms they said a nurse will call shortly a hour later i got a call saying dont worry we havent forgotten you the nurse will call a couple of hours later the nurse called i went through it all again they said she needs to see the doc that night and ive to call my own doctor this was a sunday night and the monday was a bank holiday, tried to get through to the doc on the moblie number given after trying and trying to no avail i rang back to the nhs direct as instructed to do so if i couldnt get through to the doc, ran through the symptoms again and got the nurse will call back shortly couple of hours later (10pm) i got a call dont worry we havent forgot the nurse will call at this time i told them to cancel the nurse i would try agin the next day. The first call was made around 3pm by 10pm my 5 year old little girl had not been seen by anyone. Lucky enough the swelling went down the next day and she was ok but what if she hadnt of been.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 11:36   #14
Resident Waffler

Glad to hear she was OK but it's stories like this which really make me think that instead of creating nhs direct the money would have been better used in improving what we already have/had.

Old 06-02-2005, 21:24   #15

i cannot knock NHS direct, i called them for the 1st time in august 04 at about 3AM, with really bad toothache (thought i was dying), and the got me an emergency appointment for 9AM the same day to have it yanked!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..