Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2009, 08:18   #1
Senior Member+

Rabbit advice please..

I would like some advice on what rabbits eat.

I know of all the foods & treats etc you can buy for them, and that they should eat fresh veg but was wondering what is the best for them and what do they like the best??

I have a good idea of how to look after them but better asking and knowing than guessing and getting it wrong

Thanks in advance
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2009, 11:30   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Rabbit advice please..

The vet does not recommend that we use a flake type food in the park. She says rabbits are like children and will eat the bits they like and leave the rest. What they leave is usually the pellets which are the good bits they should be eating. She says we should always use a completely pelleted food that contains everything rabbits need. In this way they can't pick and choose the bits they like best.

This site has good advice, except the bit about keeping your rabbit in the house.
Old 17-01-2009, 15:32   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

My rabbits were fed on Wagg rabbit food, you can get it at any pet food store, also i sometimes gave them cream crackers, cauliflower leaves, NOT lettuce......I gave em carrots, sometimes them choc treats oh and the odd weetabix......
NEVER kept em indoors either.
Old 17-01-2009, 15:36   #4
Senior Member+

it goes nice in a pie

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 15:43   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
My rabbits were fed on Wagg rabbit food, you can get it at any pet food store, also i sometimes gave them cream crackers, cauliflower leaves, NOT lettuce......I gave em carrots, sometimes them choc treats oh and the odd weetabix......
NEVER kept em indoors either.
Its inside tonight (in its hutch) just until i get its hutch outside tomorrow (wanna make sure the gardens rabbit proof first) have given it a carrot, its happy enough at the mo anyway, will be going outside tomorrow.
Old 17-01-2009, 16:01   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
i sometimes gave them cream crackers, cauliflower leaves, NOT lettuce......I gave em carrots, sometimes them choc treats oh and the odd weetabix.....
You naughty girl, did you see this bit on the link I posted?

Quote:
Also do not feed: iceberg lettuce, cookies, crackers, nuts, seeds, salty or sugary snacks, breakfast cereals (including oatmeal) or other starchy snacks. These promote obesity, intestinal disorders and liver damage. Don't do it!
The Wagg food is the type the Vet recommends http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/products.aspx?ProductID=12
Old 17-01-2009, 16:07   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You naughty girl, did you see this bit on the link I posted?

The Wagg food is the type the Vet recommends Wagg Optimum Premium Rabbit Food – Wagg Foods UK
Well i must have done something right...my rabbits lasted nearly 10 years:....not bad eh?
Old 17-01-2009, 16:08   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I fed em the bunny brunch they wouldnt touch the pellet one, and its gave em the plops

Wagg Bunny Brunch Rabbit Food – Wagg Foods UK
Old 17-01-2009, 16:24   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I fed em the bunny brunch they wouldnt touch the pellet one, and its gave em the plops

Wagg Bunny Brunch Rabbit Food – Wagg Foods UK
That is the type the vet said to avoid because our rabbits were only eating the bits they wanted too

I am sure it is fine if your rabbit eats all of it. It is easier to control your rabbits feeding at home in a hutch. Ours are semi wild really and end up sharing their food with peacocks, pheasants, hens and a turkey
Old 17-01-2009, 16:29   #10
Senior Member+

Will she be ok being kept inside tonight and put out tomorrow??
Old 17-01-2009, 16:34   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Better to be inside just for tonight cuz its gonna be really windy, unless she has really good protection

Oh neil, i never do what a vet says....probably why my rabbits never went to the vets cuz they were always healthly, im sure vets say things so ya have to take em back....well...they have to keep in business dont they
Old 17-01-2009, 16:38   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Better to be inside just for tonight cuz its gonna be really windy, unless she has really good protection

I can tell, my doors are whisteling already......and the wind and rain are really battering my windows, would feel awful putting her out on a night like this, and she is so soft aswell, very friendly
Old 17-01-2009, 16:44   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I take you have only just got her. how old is she?
Old 17-01-2009, 16:52   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
I take you have only just got her. how old is she?
Yeah, shes about 18 months old, settling down now, but my house is kinda mad and the dogs being very friendly and following her round lol
Old 17-01-2009, 16:54   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Well if she are owt like mine, ya could have her for another 8 years!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..