Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 17:08   #1
God Member

Soapnuts

I have bought some soapnuts and done one washing machine load using them.
I am quite impressed. I want to know whether any of you use them and are you pleased with them?

If you do, how much do you pay for them? Mine cost me £5.99(incl delivery) for 500grams - which is a large bagful measuring about 9"x 7". I put them in an old popsock so the bits wouldnt mix amongst my clothes but some suppliers provide a small bag.

I haven't counted them but you only need 3 or 4 per machine load and they can be used 3 or 4 times if you wash on cool.
They can be used for more than just laundry ie- hair and body washing, and general household cleaning too

I am well stocked up with body wash, face wash and shampoo at present but intend to give it a try for that too when my stock runs out.

It is true what they say that clothes dont need fabric conditioner when using soap nuts. I also knocked off the 'super rinse' facility on my machine because it is a natural biodegradable way of doing laundry so there are no chemical irritants to be sure of rinsing away. So doing laundry with them is very enviro friendly. I am sure that they are a boon to anyone with delicate problem skin.

I am not sure yet whether it is cheaper to use them rather than traditional powder and conditioners, but my websearches assure me that it is, and the potential for many many machine loads from my bagful makes think they are right

Here are some of the websites I read before buying -
FAQ, Soapnuts, Discuss, How to use, Shelf Life, Allergy, Gentle, Natural Detergent
How to use Soapnuts, Laundry, Dish Washer, Shampoo, Natural Cleaner, Organic Cleaner, Soap nut, wash nut
How to Use Simply Soap Nuts. The green alternative for laundry, organic gardening, natural cleaning.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-10-2007, 17:39   #2
God Member

Re: Soapnuts

oh my goodness, ive never heard of them
Old 01-10-2007, 18:01   #3
God Member

They grow on trees
Soapnuts natural soap from soapnut shells @ Go Green Online Shop

Old 01-10-2007, 18:10   #4
mez
God Member

those seem reasonable margaret, was looking for something like this earlier this year but the ones i found were £20 i found that expensive .......think i'll give these a go ...thanks margaret.

Last edited by mez; 01-10-2007 at 18:12. Reason: sp
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 18:19   #5
Give, give, give member

Damn.

I thought this was a thread where we could ask things like who took over the drapers run by Miss Emily Nugent and Mr. Leonard Swindley in Coronation Street.

It was Gamma Garments, by the way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 18:20   #6
Resident Waffler

I thought this thread was going to be about people who are addicted to Corrie and Eastenders!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 18:21   #7
Resident Waffler

GMTA Rindy!

Old 01-10-2007, 18:22   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
GMTA Rindy!
...or you knew some sad Corrie freak like me would bring it up.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 18:52   #9
God Member

I too thought the thread was about soap operas, I've never heard of soapnuts, my other half bought some washballs to take to sea with him (just rubber ball things) so doesn't use detergent, not sure if they contain anything but he thinks there ok, personally I like my clean washing to smell clean.
Old 01-10-2007, 18:55   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I too thought the thread was about soap operas, I've never heard of soapnuts, my other half bought some washballs to take to sea with him (just rubber ball things) so doesn't use detergent, not sure if they contain anything but he thinks there ok, personally I like my clean washing to smell clean.
The wash I did today is totally free of any smell - you have the option of adding essential oils to the rinsewater if you want a smell - lavender would be nice for bedding.

Old 01-10-2007, 18:59   #11
God Member

Never thought of that Margaret, how are they with sensitive skin, I know they're natural but can still sometimes irritate eczema?
Old 01-10-2007, 19:06   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Never thought of that Margaret, how are they with sensitive skin, I know they're natural but can still sometimes irritate eczema?
I did extensive websearch and all the sites I visited said that they are an ideal laundry product for anyone with skin problems - can even make liquid soap and shampoo from them - totally non irritant and natural (the webpages I have given links to will give you more info if you are thinking of using them)

Old 01-10-2007, 19:11   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Damn.

I thought this was a thread where we could ask things like who took over the drapers run by Miss Emily Nugent and Mr. Leonard Swindley in Coronation Street.

It was Gamma Garments, by the way.
God you are sad, I love Coronation Street but you sound like a walking encyclopedia
Old 01-10-2007, 19:20   #14
Resident Waffler

Was Gamma Garments run by Mr. Papadopoulous?

Old 01-10-2007, 20:20   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I did extensive websearch and all the sites I visited said that they are an ideal laundry product for anyone with skin problems - can even make liquid soap and shampoo from them - totally non irritant and natural (the webpages I have given links to will give you more info if you are thinking of using them)
Thanks Margaret, will have a read.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..