Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18   #1
God Member

Teenage spots

my not so little man has developed teenage spots, yes i know its part of growing up (although i never grew up so i never got them) but can anyone recommend any good spot treatments for them?

he has cleanser and witch hazel, i've even tried TCP (evil me) and nothing seems to work
Old 03-01-2010, 12:27   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Teenage spots

I always thought typical teenage spot's where outside an off-licence asking for someone to buy their fags or in the Park at night time drinking White Lightening.

(Only kidding I know you teens aren't all like that, some of you have parent's that are too mean with the old spending money!).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nitric acid shifts em.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nitric acid shifts em.
You must have a very good memory if you can remember teenage spots
Old 03-01-2010, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You must have a very good memory if you can remember teenage spots
Yes, he can, all he has to do is look in the mirror every morning and view that attractive leathery complexion the treatment left him with.
Old 03-01-2010, 14:31   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Is that what carbolic soap does to you?
Old 03-01-2010, 18:35   #7

Treat them from within, change the diet.

Do not whatever you do, use the OXY10 stuff, it leaves you scarred.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 18:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Treat them from within, change the diet.

Do not whatever you do, use the OXY10 stuff, it leaves you scarred.
So does bad parenting!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34   #9
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
my not so little man has developed teenage spots, yes i know its part of growing up (although i never grew up so i never got them) but can anyone recommend any good spot treatments for them?

he has cleanser and witch hazel, i've even tried TCP (evil me) and nothing seems to work

Diet is a big part of it and all these skin cleansers are OK but after a while the skin rebels and ends up over-producing sebum to compensate. Don't forget that hormones are different for everyone but if he's in his teens then the 'female interest gland' will be firmly switched on by now and there's very little to be done about that.

The only thing I found that helped me was going for a sunshower once a week. I don't mean getting a perma tan, but three minutes per week on a shower (NOT a bed as you end up lying in your own sweat) just dries the skin enough to compensate for the trials of growing up. It's not a very PC thing to suggest nowadays but I'm still suffering with terrible skin even now and it's the only thing that helped really.

I also spend a fair bit of time working outside and the fresh air and sunshine (in Summer, naturally) does wonders for your skin. Also, advise him only to shave when he's due to go on a night out or something as over-shaving (as I did) leaves terrible scarring. Never electric shave either, wet shaving is the way.

Hope that helps!
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 13:10   #10
God Member

isn't tea tree meant to be good for them?

I was lucky and never really suffered from them.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 13:24   #11
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
isn't tea tree meant to be good for them?
Good grief, no. You're quite right in saying that it's a suggested remedy but I found that it inflamed all the ones I aready had and brought out a load more in response. I know I'm not the only one to have suffered because when it first became widely available tea tree oil was peddled as the cure for all ills.
Old 01-02-2010, 14:20   #12
God Member

he uses an electric razor at the moment but only on his top lip, where he has no spots, he doesn't need to use it anywhere else, i didn't want him shaving with a razor until he really needed to, as for the tea tree YES Ian, it does work, as Ken said though it makes the spots very red THEN dries them up, the TCP seems to be working for him at the moment, he puts it on every couple of days
Old 01-02-2010, 15:03   #13
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
he uses an electric razor at the moment but only on his top lip, where he has no spots, he doesn't need to use it anywhere else, i didn't want him shaving with a razor until he really needed to, as for the tea tree YES Ian, it does work, as Ken said though it makes the spots very red THEN dries them up, the TCP seems to be working for him at the moment, he puts it on every couple of days
Different things work for different folks but the one thing all men seem to agree on is the long-term benefits of a wet shave. You need a decent razor (Gillette Mach 3 is superb) and good shave gel (again, for poor skin a brand name is best).

Don't be taken in with all these 'turbo' blades that need batteries - complete waste of time. My wife found the same with the Venus women's blades.
Old 01-02-2010, 15:11   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You need a decent razor (Gillette Mach 3 is superb) and good shave gel (again, for poor skin a brand name is best).
I don't like the foaming gels. It like having whipped cream on your face and trying to shave (save the whipped cream for other things).

I use the non foaming ones. Much better and you can see where your shaving.
Old 01-02-2010, 15:23   #15
Common Sense Member

I can also recommend Palmolive Shaving Cream although it's not sold everywhere. Rays Cutprice Store in Rishton does it and it gives an extremely close shave.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..