Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2009, 20:36   #1
God Member

UK postcodes full version available here

Database containing 1.8m UK postcode locations leaks online • The Register

probably worth grabbing a copy whilst its out and about

20Meg download, you need a compression tool capable of bz2

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2009, 22:15   #2
I am Banned

Re: UK postcodes full version available here

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

Just tried it. 1st you would need the Ordnance Survey maps 1:50,000 series and a roamer to make sense of the numbers. There are 204 maps in the series. Found my own postcode and it was near enough.

I deleted it, then had to clean out the registry, over 200 useless entries had been added

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 06:46   #3
God Member

eh? its a database, it contains just numbers, nothing in the link from the register installs anything........

or was it the bz2 tool you downloaded that added all the rubbish ( Linux can deal with bz2 by default)

what makes this data useful is that you can use it within other programs to work out distances etc.

Old 17-09-2009, 06:56   #4

downloading it - should be useful for Freegle group owners so we can check new members... errr... how do you open it & use it?

Last edited by mattylad; 17-09-2009 at 07:02.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 09:07   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
eh? its a database, it contains just numbers, nothing in the link from the register installs anything........

or was it the bz2 tool you downloaded that added all the rubbish ( Linux can deal with bz2 by default)

what makes this data useful is that you can use it within other programs to work out distances etc.
You mean like seeing how far it is from Mallard Place to Haworth Street entwisi
Okay I'll get my coat
Old 17-09-2009, 10:00   #6
God Member

decompress it using anything that supports bz2 compression

its a basic text file with data listed as per teh colum headers on line one. You could import it into a spreadsheet ( Excel/Openoffice Calc etc) or into a Database program ( Access, OpenOffice Base, MySQL, Oracle, Cloudbase etc

From there its up to you how you use it depending on what you want it for. Information is only valuable if you have a use for it

Old 17-09-2009, 12:33   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
decompress it using anything that supports bz2 compression

its a basic text file with data listed as per teh colum headers on line one. You could import it into a spreadsheet ( Excel/Openoffice Calc etc) or into a Database program ( Access, OpenOffice Base, MySQL, Oracle, Cloudbase etc

From there its up to you how you use it depending on what you want it for. Information is only valuable if you have a use for it
I did all that, and opened in office, okay it does give post code and map ref numbers, but I'll stand by what I said you need the ordnance survey maps and a roamer, to use the thing. It may be ok for businesses but most of them already have it. I you want to know how far to Merlin Close Google Earth is more accurate.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 14:04   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Oh dear me, how sad that a member of accyweb should suggest stealing someone else's software?

I was given to believe that accyweb was above such thing's indeed there have been many posts from members of the 'Software' fraternity stating how not only is it illegal to download, (pirate), software, chip playstations, x boxes etc, etc, but state that such action is not only 'stealing' but that it actually takes money from the 'Software Engineers' and their families, what a shame that we get such a terrible example from someone that should know better, to quote from a mildly illegal software thread example,

Quote:
Theft, is theft, and should not be condoned in any shape or form
(I'm working from memory it may not be an exact quote, can't be bothered to search through each of his highly principled post's).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 18:02   #9

but its not theft, its been given away for free.
Old 17-09-2009, 19:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Yes, but is it the owner giving it away or is it some modified Pirate version that is being given away free?

Quote:
The list is a 241MB plain text file that runs to more than 100,000 pages and was last updated on 8 July. WikiLeaks has zipped the database up to 20MB and made it available for download via the site as well as providing a fast BitTorrent version of the file that can be grabbed over at The Pirate Bay.
Old 18-09-2009, 02:41   #11
God Member

Quote:
Limewire and the like give music away "free".. but someone owns the original.. I see what Less is aying.. a very upright law abiding member has jumped all over those downloading pirate stuff, calling such activities as "theft".. seems to me thieving is in the eye of the beholder when it suits em!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 18:20   #12

Its only theft if someone is being stolen from.

If you can identify that this is in fact stolen property then please show it otherwise please stop the hyperbole about it being theft until you have some proof that it is so.

Just because something is online for download does not make it copyright protected or stolen data.
It could quite legitimately be placed online.
IN fact, I paid for this database so I should be able to use it.

Back to the original subject, so is anyone using it for owt?

Last edited by mattylad; 18-09-2009 at 18:29.
Old 18-09-2009, 19:16   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Quote:

Just because something is online for download does not make it copyright protected or stolen data.
It could quite legitimately be placed online.
IN fact, I paid for this database so I should be able to use it.
now i'm confused make yer mind up. Free or ya Paid.
Old 18-09-2009, 19:16   #14

Quote:
Its only theft if someone is being stolen from.

If you can identify that this is in fact stolen property then please show it otherwise please stop the hyperbole about it being theft until you have some proof that it is so.
Good grief! Talk about turning a blind eye!, just because it suits you to pretend there is nothing wrong just because it suits you. I have already quoted from the original link something that shows it is an iffy download!

No doubt if I was incorrect the original poster would have been back on protesting in strong terms as to how I have done him wrong, knowing how good he is at gleaning information from the WWW he would show us how this was freeware or at least a legitamate gift from the original source and not something ripped off, if he does do that then I will apologise, (I actually have a large amount of respect for him), otherwise don't defend the indefensible.

Database Containing 1.8m UK Postcode Locations Leaks Online | CyberInsecure.com

Quote:
(from the above link)
On the other hand, online availability of the PAF could prove a big blow to the Royal Mail, which has repeatedly ignored requests from freedom of information campaigners to publish the postcode database free of charge.
Campaigners have long argued that the PAF should be freely available to help businesses create services around the taxpayer-funded data, and while this leak might get a few wannabe-web entrepreneurs mildly excited, the real juicy postcode stuff remains locked behind closed doors - for now.
Royal Mail statement should be available soon.
Just because freedom of information junkies want it to be free does not make it free, it just means someone has stolen it and anyone using it is breaking someone's copyright, (that itself is objected to by the thread starter), so perhaps it should be done by those of you that wish to continue with this type of theft somewhere other than accyweb?
Old 19-09-2009, 07:06   #15

Don't know why anyone wants to have all that on their computer......if you need to get a post code it's simple enough to get it on the computer if your not to lazy to look

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..