Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2006, 10:16   #1
Always EVIL within us

Thumbs up Vinegar

I often see THAT advert regarding the sale of a book with umpteen uses for vinegar and always considered it a bit of a con however, I came across this today and it seems vinegar is far more versatile than I thought

Vinegar: A 10,000-year-old discovery with 10,000 uses

I spent most of the weekend cleaning out the garage. I like the energy surge I get from the act of alphabetizing clutter. Unfortunately I left "Plumbing" out of my Dewey Decimal system. I tried horsing the plumbing supplies between "Pliers" and "Rags", but it didn't fit. I shoved the box of solder, fittings and flux under a table and imperiously moved on to alphabetizing all the solvents, chemicals and garden products that I've collected, most sitting in acrid little puddles of their own making.

A lot of these products smell bad. I noticed that most labels display skulls or pictures of explosions. Not convinced I would ever need to dissolve flesh or blow something up, I boxed the aging chemicals and stored them (unalphabetized) for the next hazardous waste day. Then I went to the grocery store and stocked up on a few gallons of distilled vinegar.

Vinegar has been around since people have been drinking alcoholic beverages. Early civilisations as far back as the Sumerians used vinegar as a condiment, a preservative, a medicine, an antibiotic and a detergent. It's non-toxic, inexpensive, and wickedly effective. It doesn't pollute, combust or eat bodily tissue. It's readily available, won't rot, and never loses its strength.

In a salute to the wisdom of the ancients, I suggest pouring yourself an alcoholic beverage and studying this list of unusual uses for vinegar, the ancient miracle fluid.

Outdoors

If you park outside in winter, mix 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and spray it on your car windows in the evening to prevent frost and ice from forming.

If your cat leaves buried treasure in the kids' sandbox, pour vinegar around the edges of the sandbox every couple of months. The cat will take his business to the neighbour's sandbox.

Bug spray: Put undiluted vinegar in a spray bottle and add several drops of dish detergent. Blast the bugs with the spray. No fog, no fumes, no toxicity, no bugs.

Workshop
White vinegar is a solvent for many glues (including stubborn old wallpaper paste); Apply vinegar to the unwanted bond and let it soak in until the bond weakens.

Mix white vinegar with water-based inks to create gorgeous stains for wood. The resulting finish has a silvery sheen and a deep, transparent tint. Pour vinegar into a mixing jar, add ink until the desired concentration is achieved. Apply with brush or rag, wiping away excess.

Age new lumber by brushing on a solution made in the following way: Soak a bunch of rusty old stuff in a jar of white vinegar. After two or three days, the solution will be ready to apply. Depending upon the amount of tannin in the wood, the 'stain' will turn the wood either silvery or almost black. Try a test patch first.

Pickling wood - Soak a handful of galvanized nails in white vinegar for 2-3 days. The vinegar dissolves the galvanizing and when applied to oak will produce a beautiful grey "dusty" look to the oak.

Indoors
Remove stubborn mildew smell (or pet odours) from fabric by adding 2 cups of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.

Vinegar is a great solvent for grease. Clean deep fryers by boiling vinegar and water in them. Use straight vinegar to clean range hoods and greasy appliance surfaces.

Insider's Tip: Make a cheap cleaner for flooring, including Pergo and laminates: 1/3 part white vinegar, 1/3 part rubbing alcohol (to speed drying), 1/3 part water, several drops of dishwashing liquid. Spray and mop.

To set a permanent knife-edge crease in pants, dip a cloth in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Wring out the cloth and then press the creases.
De-skunk the air when people visit wearing too much perfume; spray the air with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar.

If you habitually leap out of bed in the middle of the night trying to ease foot or leg cramps, try boosting your potassium level: Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of honey and a cup of hot water, and drink before hitting the sack.

Cure hiccups instantly by swallowing a teaspoon of vinegar. Your body will shudder like a ship hitting a reef and you may swear in disgust, but your hiccups will stop.
Old 27-12-2006, 10:21   #2
God Member

Re: Vinegar

Like the idea of spraying it onto car windows to stop them freezing, BUT it is acidic isn't it so I don't think I will be trying it

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 10:28   #3
Resident Waffler

It says it's non-corrosive. Maybe we coul try it on a bit of something else first?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 10:40   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It says it's non-corrosive. Maybe we coul try it on a bit of something else first?
Really? you seen the bit further down about galvanised nails
If you have ever chipped galvanising off you'll know how hard it is - its like sheet metal

www.ubuntu.com

Old 27-12-2006, 11:29   #5
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Like the idea of spraying it onto car windows to stop them freezing, BUT it is acidic isn't it so I don't think I will be trying it
I agree K.S.H. I might give it a try..........but under controlled conditions, Acetic acid on the cars paint work sounds a bit iffy to me
Old 27-12-2006, 11:49   #6
God Member

Try it on the car that belongs to the next door neighbour's that you don't get on with

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:12   #7
Resident Waffler

I'm going to try the one about ironing trousers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:18   #8
Give, give, give member

My mum was seduced into buying the book because of 'those' ads.

Bit disappointing, the adverts have nearly as many facts as the book, or indeed some uses we already knew.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 18:38   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

good on chips too, oh and stops hiccups!
Old 27-12-2006, 18:39   #10
God Member

Anyway - 10,000 uses, have you got the rest for us to browse through?

www.ubuntu.com

Old 27-12-2006, 18:57   #11
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
good on chips too...
Balsamic vinegar is better!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 21:28   #12
I am Banned

Put an egg in a cup if it for a couple of days the shells goes and you are left with an egg in a bag lol.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 21:30   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadah View Post
Put an egg in a cup if it for a couple of days the shells goes and you are left with an egg in a bag lol.
Well put that with the car window/ice theory and your well and truly ****** if you have eggshell paint finish

www.ubuntu.com

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..