Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 06:50   #1
Senior Member+

Wallpapering advice please

As a mere female, I have NEVER papered a room before. No one in my house will do it for me!! So, I am gonna have a go myself!!!! I hate to have to confess, but, I dont even know how to work out how many rolls of paper I need. HELP PLEASE!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2004, 07:50   #2
Caz
God Member

Re: Wallpapering advice please

You usually get 3 drops and a bit from each roll. Older houses usually have higher ceilings, but you should still get three. Then just go round your room and count the drops you already have on the walls. You will need to allow extra in case you make a mistake some where, and make sure you can get more of the same paper from the store if you need it.
Be sure to check your batch numbers on the rolls before you buy, otherwise the paper could be slightly different.

It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
The main thing is making sure you use a plumb line to get the first piece up straight.

Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:30   #3
Senior Member+

Thank you so very very much Cazzer. I type this, with wallpapering scraper in hand! (plus a brew) - just about to go and start. Its not a massive room. I keep seeing these DIY programmes on TV and they "fire me up". I have to say they are NOT "fireing anyone else in this house up" so ....."if a jobs worth doing, doing it yourself" - Thanks again. Gonna nip down to Porters later, whilst I am in the mood
Old 12-05-2004, 09:09   #4
mez
God Member

youd be quicker with a steam wallpaper stripper it does the job in half the time //
Old 12-05-2004, 15:52   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have a steam stripper, if you need it Atarah. When you've stripped your walls, go and fill any small cracks with polyfilla before you start. Don't get the ready mixed stuff, as it is too thick, get the powder that you make up yourself. Mix a bucket of watery paste, and paste it directly to the wall, leave it for a short while (your pasted paper will stick better and it will prevent the plaster from soaking up the paste from the paper) and Cazzer is right, use a plumb line to get your first piece up straight, I have one of those you can borrow too, if you need it.
Hang your first piece of paper close to a corner, and leave about half an inch overlapping the corner onto the adjacent wall. Leave enough length for trimming at the ceiling and floor. Hang your paper from the ceiling and brush down in all directions, this should free any trapped air. Also when papering around sockets, turn off the electricity, loosen the face plate of the socket, paper directly over it, then make diagonal cuts from the centre to each corner, trim it and tuck the margin of the paper behind the face plate and retighten, wipe any paste off your socket with a cloth before switching your electric back on. Can you tell my dad used to be a decorator yet!!!!

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 23:14   #6
Senior Member+

Hey thanks a lot Lettie. The advice you have given sounds good. I feel like I can attempt a go myself now! At least I have made a start and I have completely stripped the room today, but am working now for a few days, so it will have to go on hold for a short time.
Old 13-05-2004, 06:23   #7
God Member

i know it seems like doing the job twice but I always use 1000 grade lining paper first, it hides imperfections in walls and when you come to decorate that room again you can strip the wallpaper off in a matter of minutes. Its easy to put on as well, no matching up to do and you put it on horizontally

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2004, 08:45   #8
Senior Member+

Thanks KSH think am gonna use your advice also and get lining paper.
Old 13-05-2004, 10:33   #9
Senior Member+

Atarah as lettie says, you MUST turn off the electricity when papering around the light socket. The first time i did not think to switch it off and got an electric shock, needless to say i always remembered after that.
Old 15-05-2004, 13:49   #10
Senior Member+

If you have no steam stripper use a steam iron.Works the same but has a smaller surface.Only thing to say is enjoy stripping

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..