Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2009, 19:05   #1
God Member

Water Pressure

Anyone know roughtly what the water pressure is round this area?
Got a slight problem with a new washing machine, just wanna make sure its within the regs before I fall out with anyone.
The max allowed is 10 bar, thats about 145psi, cant see the water pressure being so high so just checking

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2009, 19:11   #2
God Member

Re: Water Pressure

Many terraced houses are still on a common supply pipe so any problems are likely to be due to lack of pressure.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 19:18   #3
God Member

Mine isn't, I'm convinced its a fault but their 1st excuse is the water pressures too high, thats what I want to make sure about before I go any further

www.ubuntu.com

Old 17-08-2009, 19:26   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Mine isn't, I'm convinced its a fault but their 1st excuse is the water pressures too high, thats what I want to make sure about before I go any further
Maybe Derek Gas will see this and respond.
My idea would be to turn the main water stop tap off a bit to reduce the pressure in your pipes.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 19:32   #5
God Member

LOL, so because of a faulty brand new washer I have to have reduced power to my taps, shower, bath, dishwasher, hose pipe etc
For the sake of the guy who will be on the other end of the phone I hope he doesn't suggest that
PS IIRC if the pipe supplying my house is 100psi and I have a 2 inch pipe coming in the house it will still be 100 psi, if I reduce that to a 1 inch pipe the pressure won't go down, the flow rate will but not the pressure

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 17-08-2009 at 19:36.
Old 17-08-2009, 20:36   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You are correct about the pressure being the same if the tap was only partly open.

Your water pressure will be no where near 10 bar mate. Last time I checked at a house I lived in it was about 30psi (2 bar)

What fault have you with washing machine?
Old 18-08-2009, 07:27   #7
God Member

Water pressure varies from area to area, there are parts of Accrington that dont have enough pressure for a combi boiler (under 1.5 bar on Hollins Lane), and others that have to have reducing valves fitted (Near Dill Hall Lane). You can reduce the pressure to the washing machine without affecting the rest of the property, most boilers and associated equipment have a max rating of 10 bar, but is rare that anything has to be slatered around here.
Old 18-08-2009, 07:41   #8

Reduced with one of these by chance?
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 15:11   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Water pressure varies from area to area, there are parts of Accrington that dont have enough pressure for a combi boiler (under 1.5 bar on Hollins Lane), and others that have to have reducing valves fitted (Near Dill Hall Lane). You can reduce the pressure to the washing machine without affecting the rest of the property, most boilers and associated equipment have a max rating of 10 bar, but is rare that anything has to be slatered around here.

The hydrants in the Fire Station yard in Manchester Rd were 110 psi.
When we used to test hydrants the only ones which were useless were those from Mitchells reservoirs down to heights farm, by the time it reached Broad Oak factory the pressure was ok. Nevr found any below 60 psi in Accrington.
Pressure is height of reservoir to where you live divided by .45 and the answer is near enough in psi. Accrington also gets a lot of its water via Gt Harwood.

Water board were recently working in Woodnook area cross linking some of the pipes one of our feeds comes down Royds St, the other comes off Manchester Rd.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 15:14   #10

Would a simple inline tap turned 1/2 off reduce the pressure rather than an expensive PRV?
Old 18-08-2009, 17:20   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Would a simple inline tap turned 1/2 off reduce the pressure rather than an expensive PRV?
There are two, types of pressure in the water main staic pressure when all is turned off, and flow pressure which is lower that static, turning the tap 1/2 off only reduces the flow, try sticking your finger under the tap when its full on, and then try to stop the water coming out, turn it down a bit and try again, you'll still get sprayed only not as much.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 21:52   #12
God Member

Thanks for your replys.
I DO NOT want to fit a valve though, I'm sure our pressure isn't over the top of the recommended 10 bar, might just buy a guage to check it, there only £11.
Thing is when the machine (about 3 week old) is running and it goes onto the conditioner cycle it spills water out of the drawer, the manual says it will operate between 0.5 bar and 10 bar, If I'm above that then fair enough I'll fit a valve, we must have had about half a dozen washing machines in the 20 year we've lived here and its never happened before so why should I change anything, they'll get it back if my pressures OK and they cant fix it
Anyway, made a call today, there sending me a new drawer out to try, now either there just trying to help or they know about the fault and they have a modified drawer, have to wait and see what the new ones like

www.ubuntu.com

Old 18-08-2009, 22:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
No, it would only reduce the flow.
Imagine lets say a 2 foot diameter pipe, at the top of it there are two pipes coming out of it, one is 6" diameter and the other is 3" diameter, if the system is closed and put under pressure, the pressure will be the same in all 3 pipes, when open though the flow will be a lot greater from the 6" pipe

www.ubuntu.com

Old 18-08-2009, 22:10   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Thing is when the machine (about 3 week old) is running and it goes onto the conditioner cycle it spills water out of the drawer
Should have said splashes rather than spills, its not overflowing, the water hits the drawer and splashes it everywhere and it eventually runs out the bottom of the drawer

www.ubuntu.com

Old 19-08-2009, 09:47   #15

When you pull the drawer out, on the top of it is there a little sprung bit of plastic?

It adjusts the angle of the spray.

I had that on a washer years back.

WARNING! If you have & your going to move it, for gods sake do a little drawing of how it was beforehand or mark the position with a permanent pen.
When I moved mine it was never right afterwards - lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..