Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2010, 22:21   #1
God Member

Why does it only pack up in winter?!

That bloomin boiler! Grrrrr!

It won't let me top the bar pressure up
Which means it won't work
Grrrr

Would have to happen when it's freezing!

Any ideas anyone?.... Put the blonde/female jokes back in ya pocket please

Pressure on taps is fine so nowt is frozen... I even resorted to looking in the manual
Old 15-01-2010, 22:44   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Why does it only pack up in winter?!

Loss of Pressure in Your System

For a system to work properly the water pressure should remain constant. Modern combination boilers are pressurised systems and water will enter the system from the mains cold water supply through a manual filling device, known as a 'filling loop'. Adding water via the filling loop to the system after a drop of pressure will help bring your system to the correct pressure again.

There are several factors which may contribute to a loss of pressure in your heating system. It could be as a result of a water leak or air removed from the system when the radiators have been bled or removed and replaced. You should check the pressure after bleeding or removing the radiators and if you notice a drop of pressure then the system will need to be topped up with water.

Water leaks will also cause a drop of pressure, leaks can be very small and go unnoticed as pressure can decrease over a couple of months. Small leaks are quite hard to detect as the water evaporates quickly. If you think there is a leak, you should check the system thoroughly when it is cold especially around the radiator and boiler valves. Larger leaks will mean that you will need to regularly refill the system; these should be repaired as soon as possible.

You can check the pressure of the system by using the pressure gauge which you should find on your boiler. You should check this gauge regularly to make sure it is at the correct pressure. It should be between 1 and 1.5 bar. It should not drop below 0.5 or rise above 2.5.

If the pressure is too low then you need to re-pressurise the system by topping it up via the filling loop. This is usually a small tap connected to the system via a metal hose. If the hose is not connected to the system you will need to remove the cap the end and attach and tighten it. Once attached, you need to turn the tap, whilst watching the gauge and let enough water in to raise the guage to the correct level (1-1.5bar).

The filling loop will always be located near to the boiler but if you can't see it straight away it may be in a cupboard or perhaps behind a boarded section. If you cannot find the filling loop, consult your manufacturer's booklet or ask your service engineer.

copied & pasted, but somehow I don't think it will be much use to you, however you will heat up when you scream, "I've already tried that dummy!"
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 22:47   #3
God Member

Hehe your right..... have done it and it does nuffin
Old 15-01-2010, 22:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass29 View Post
Hehe your right..... have done it and it does nuffin
If thing's get desperate, look through your little black book to find someone you can share a Duvet with.

After all, you can say to him let's fantasise that we've been married for several years, when he enthusiastically says, "Yeah", you can slip between the sheets and say, "don't bother me tonight I've got a headache".
Old 15-01-2010, 22:57   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
If thing's get desperate, look through your little black book to find someone you can share a Duvet with.

After all you can say to him let's fantasise that we've been married for several years, when he enthusiastically says, "Yeah", you can slip between the sheets and say, "don't bother me tonight I've got a headache".
Lol!!
Good thinking Batman!

PS Less.... don't wait for a phonecall, I knows yours aint working
Old 15-01-2010, 23:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass29 View Post
Lol!!
Good thinking Batman!

PS Less.... don't wait for a phonecall, I knows yours aint working
Could we just explain for those looking in, YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MY LANDLINE!
Old 15-01-2010, 23:09   #7
I am Banned

[quote=Less;778689]Loss of Pressure in Your System

Halstead boilers don't need a filling loop, they have a separate little tap built into the water supply underneath the boiler, if the boiler is situated low down you might need a mirror and a torch to find it, usually on the left of the manifold group.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 00:12   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Halstead boilers don't need a filling loop, they have a separate little tap built into the water supply underneath the boiler, if the boiler is situated low down you might need a mirror and a torch to find it, usually on the left of the manifold group.
Retlaw.
I thought the loop was to comply with water regs so you cant get nasty boiler water into your drinking water.

I wonder if they have a double check valve.
Old 16-01-2010, 12:23   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought the loop was to comply with water regs so you cant get nasty boiler water into your drinking water.

I wonder if they have a double check valve.
Because the domestic supply pressure is usually greater than the boiler will stand, and dometic water pressure is not constant.
During the night the water pressure on fire hydrants is a heck of a lot greater that during the day.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:13   #10

I hope you got it sorted and all is alright for you.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:16   #11

Get hold of the landlord, it is up to them to put it right xx
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:18   #12

come over here, we not using a boiler
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:56   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[quote=Retlaw;778702]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Loss of Pressure in Your System

Retlaw.
My boiler is self filling, she heads off to the kitchen and grabs some Chokky cake !! and as for the pressure I just mention in passing "them kexs are lookin' a bit tight girl" maximum pressure for hours as she fumes away.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 13:56   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Because the domestic supply pressure is usually greater than the boiler will stand, and dometic water pressure is not constant.
During the night the water pressure on fire hydrants is a heck of a lot greater that during the day.

Retlaw.
The domestic water does not pass through the boiler (heat exchanger with the fire under it, or above it in some weird ones - always seamed odd having the fire burning downhill to me) that section is a closed circuit with expansion vessel to allow for water expansion when heated. The filling loop is supposed to only be fitted while topping up but almost everyone leaves them in place. This is a safe guard to prevent boiler water with chemical additives from entering the domestic cold water if for example you isolate the water into the house to repair a leak which will make the boiler pressure higher that the cold water.

The domestic water only passes through the clean side of the hot water heat exchanger.

I would guess the pressure changes you refer too are due to supply and demand on the system during the day/night.

I am sure Derek will explain that I am a complete idiot and am talking out of my booty when he next pops on
Old 16-01-2010, 13:58   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
come over here, we not using a boiler
What a lovely caring mummy you are Vera.
Have you sent the plane tickets yet?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..