Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 13:35   #1
Beacon of light

Winter Warmer...

I don't know if any of you are interested in making a lovely almost fat free nourishing winter soup, but I thought I would post this recipe.

3 Pints of water
2 chicken stock cubes
2 large potatoes
2 medium carrots
I large onion
handful of pearl barley
I cup of either frozen or tinned sweetcorn
I cup of frozen peas
I cup of frozen string beans
I small leek
6 oz of diced chicken (or I use turkey wing meat)

Method.
dice the potatoes, carrots and onion and put into the water with the stock cubes.
Finely slice the leek.....check that the leek is clean first (some can be a bit gritty....if it is then wash the grit away). Add the pearl barley to the water and bring these ingredients to the boil.......do not boil them for too long though.....about 10 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients.....allow to simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Taste.....if you like you may add a little salt and pepper.
If you like your soup thickened then you may thicken this soup with using a couple of teaspoons of cornflour mixed to a thin paste with cold water and add to the simmering mixture....stirring all the time.

This soup is better the day after it has been made and can be made more filling by adding sage and onion dumplings.

Sage and Onion Dumplings.

3oz suet
5oz SR flour
1oz of sage and onion stuffing mix
salt and pepper to taste
a little cold water to mix

Method.
Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
Add water....just a small amount at a time and mix together with a fork until you have a fairly stiff dough. Mould the dough into walnit size balls and bring your soup to the boil.....drop the dumplings in and cover with a lid. The dumplings take about 15 minutes to cook and are delicious.....though this bit is not fat reduced.

This recipe is cheap to make and does not take too much time in preparation.
Beats tinned soup anyday
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 13:37   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Winter Warmer...

I should have said to peel the veg......but I thought you would have guessed at that anyway
Old 01-12-2004, 13:47   #3
Resident Waffler

Some of us would ................... but it doesn't do to presume. (I know someone who was going to put an Asda pizza in the oven with the clingfilm still on, and someone else who was melting margarine by putting the (plastic) tub on top of the toaster!)

The soup sounds good, especially with the dumplings.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 13:57   #4
Beacon of light

A very good friend of mine cooked a turkey with the giblets still in the bag inside......it was the first time she cooked Christmas dinner for her in-laws.... she thought that it was stuffing in the bag.

I can heartily recommend both the soup and the dumplings......we have had it for lunch today and it was yummy

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-12-2004 at 13:58. Reason: typo error....fat fingers and someone keeps moving the letter on my keyboard
Old 01-12-2004, 17:02   #5
Beacon of light

Think I should have posted this in Hints and Tips......still finding my way around
Old 01-12-2004, 17:17   #6
I am Banned

no problem
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 18:07   #7
Senior Member+

Made my mouth water reading the recipe, sage and onion dumplings sounds very yummy margaret.
I know someone who washed a chicken with soap liquid and then rinsed it off, glad i were not eating it.
Old 01-12-2004, 18:34   #8
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Think I should have posted this in Hints and Tips......still finding my way around
Your wish was our command!

Last edited by Len; 01-12-2004 at 18:36.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 20:43   #9
Beacon of light

Thankyou Len....does this mean I now have a personal wizard??????
Old 01-12-2004, 21:03   #10
Senior Member+

Don't get ahead of yourself Margaret!!!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 21:33   #11
Beacon of light

As if you would let me ? (gallic shrug)
Old 02-12-2004, 00:09   #12
Len
God Member

Hi Margaret P.

Quote:
does this mean I now have a personal wizard??????
No sorry, but I could do with one if I wish to try this recipe.
I am not very good at putting these things together. I wouldn’t like to think what it would end up like.
Sounds good though.
Old 02-12-2004, 19:03   #13
Beacon of light

Len..... it is SO easy to make .....you just put all the soup ingredients into a pan and let them simmer........would warm the heart of your cockles....or should that be the other way round?????
Old 02-12-2004, 19:18   #14
Senior Member+

nice one!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 22:23   #15
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Len..... it is SO easy to make .....you just put all the soup ingredients into a pan and let them simmer........would warm the heart of your cockles....or should that be the other way round?????
Hehehe.
Well if I get the time, and the bottle to put on a piny I may do a bit of experimenting.
But somehow…. hehehe

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..