Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 22:05   #1

Accy exile needs some local info

I was exiled from my home town some 55 years back and am interested in tracing my roots. Have no living relatives who can help so am dependant on leads from boyhood memories. I had an 'Aunt/Uncle' (tho they weren't - unless great) in Spring Hill Road - probably died mid 50's. I do recall being taken to a Christmas church service at what seemed a large church. Can you tell me if there is a Church of England close to that road please ?
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2006, 22:12   #2
Member.

Re: Accy exile needs some local info

If you can let me have some details i.e. family name, where they lived etc I’ll try and run a censes check for you for 1901 or earlier.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 22:27   #3

Hello Doug and thanks for the offer. I have no paperwork to go on but think the surname might have been Barnes ( Errol and May ). No 55 comes to mind as the door number but it's not logical I should remember so where it came from goodness only knows !
Haven't yet located where to find census records on-line and intended to search 107 Westwood Street under my surname of Rose. Any web addresses would be gratefully received by this novice.
Alan
Old 12-07-2006, 22:31   #4
Member.

I’ll see what I can come up with, it might take a while to find something relevant but I’ll do my best for you. Just watch some of the Ancestry sites that can be expensive and addictive.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 13-07-2006, 08:13   #5
Full Member+

Accrington library has a extensive collection of electoral rolls going back to the 1890`s. If you need to look up a family member and know the address
Old 13-07-2006, 08:16   #6
mez
God Member

there is a church at the top of springhill rd .....im not sure but i think it was baptist or methodist,
Old 13-07-2006, 10:53   #7
God Member

teh old church on fairfield street was taken over Jehovas witnesses about 20-25 years ago. I remember it as they cut the crosses off the roof as I was walking to school. They rebuilt the building some time after.

The other church you may have gone up to is SpringHill Methodists themselves. I believe teh building still exists (top of Rawson ave(Mez???) ) and the sunday school was next door.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 19:58   #8

thanks for your contibutions everyone - I can see that I'll have to combine a trip to the Fraser Eagle Stadium with a few days holiday back 'home' once I have done a bit more reseach.
Old 13-07-2006, 21:37   #9
Member.

Started coming back over a couple of years ago after a long absence looking for memoirs and answers, still looking, but I can promise that you won’t look back and it will be worth the trip.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-05-2021, 08:40   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
I was exiled from my home town some 55 years back and am interested in tracing my roots. Have no living relatives who can help so am dependant on leads from boyhood memories. I had an 'Aunt/Uncle' (tho they weren't - unless great) in Spring Hill Road - probably died mid 50's. I do recall being taken to a Christmas church service at what seemed a large church. Can you tell me if there is a Church of England close to that road please ?
Hi. The nearest C of E church was St. Peters near Perth St.
EMargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:01   #11

Is this a record for the longest thread resurrection
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 20:05   #12
God Member

It’s never too late to be kind!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 00:37   #13

Smile Re: Accy exile needs some local info

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMargaret View Post
Hi. The nearest C of E church was St. Peters near Perth St.
It's on Richmond Hill street, I used to attend before I moved to Canada.
Springhill Methodist is at the top of Arncliffe Ave on Richmond Road. I think it is a restaurant now.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..