Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia aint what it used to be... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/)
-   -   What food did your Mum make you eat when you had nowt else!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f80/what-food-did-your-mum-make-you-eat-when-you-had-nowt-else-47459.html)

gdm27 16-05-2009 22:34

What food did your Mum make you eat when you had nowt else!!

I remember back in the 50's when my parents were really skint my Mum would try to kill us by making a meal that still makes me turn pale. Small dishes, cut up some stale cheese into them, top up with milk, crack an egg on top, salt and pepper then into the oven. Wait until the egg had turned to a piece of plastic then serve!!! It was a killer but it was that or nothing. Spare a thought for me Dad, he had to eat 2!!! Anybody else have this if so what was it called besides orride!!!

emamum 16-05-2009 22:39

Re: What food did your Mum make you eat when you had nowt else!!

lol, i think theres a few accywebbers that love this meal!

never tried it meself.

MargaretR 16-05-2009 22:39

That is the famous 'cheese and egg'
Obviously she didn't do it right - needs to be baked 'on a tin plate' ;)

During rationing in the 40s our main meal was often
a lettuce leaf and a tomato - but then such items really tasted good
- not like a wet hankie and a ball of mush.

turkishdelight 16-05-2009 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdm27 (Post 714509)
I remember back in the 50's when my parents were really skint my Mum would try to kill us by making a meal that still makes me turn pale. Small dishes, cut up some stale cheese into them, top up with milk, crack an egg on top, salt and pepper then into the oven. Wait until the egg had turned to a piece of plastic then serve!!! It was a killer but it was that or nothing. Spare a thought for me Dad, he had to eat 2!!! Anybody else have this if so what was it called besides orride!!!

I still make that dish love it very tastey with brown bread and butter and a cup of tea however not with stale cheese.

cashman 16-05-2009 23:01

i still scran it n its lovely, but know what yer saying, cos my mam was a crap cook.:D;) bless her.:)

Mancie 16-05-2009 23:13

cheese? bread? egggs?...you were living a life of luxury!...worse dinner was when me Dad come home from workin 18 hour shift down pit and me Mam boiled his sweaty socks up with some owd spud peelings.:eek:

steeljack 16-05-2009 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 714512)
That is the famous 'cheese and egg'
Obviously she didn't do it right - needs to be baked 'on a tin plate' .

got to be crumbly Lancashire cheese and served with a dollop of HP sauce , (prefered it cooked under the grill rather than in the oven) . good stuff :D :D

gdm27 16-05-2009 23:32

You were spoilt, dirt wi worms in if we were luck!!!!

shakermaker 16-05-2009 23:59

Paradise.

We had to lick red hot gravel before being thrashed with Dad's mace.

theprisoner 17-05-2009 00:47

Still have 'Cheese and Egg' myself! Tis lovely with a bit of Brown sauce & some Hedgehog bread.

shillelagh 17-05-2009 00:57

It wasnt my mum who made it was my dad ... dad could make 3 things ... a fry up (brilliant), fish (id eat the batter) or mash with boiled eggs in the middle ... and i hated it. Mum had to go to northern ireland and left me and my brother with my dad .. 1 sis was married and away and the other was at manchester polytechnic ... and she was away for 2 weeks ... and for 5 days dad made mash and eggs for tea ... never eaten a boiled egg since ..... and that was when i was 12!!!!

Margaret Pilkington 17-05-2009 14:47

We had to eat whatever was put in front of us......the alternative was to go to bed hungry.
I went to bed hungry when it was kippers. sardines, pilchards.......and I drew the line at eating rabbit and hare.

K.S.H 17-05-2009 15:00

Hey stop knocking cheese and egg :D
Great with tomatoes and bacon too for breakfast :D
Theres a thread about it HERE

ossy kid 18-05-2009 05:17

I,d have died for egg and cheese when I was little. We had pobs for breakfast most days and I hated them. I do make egg and cheese for myself now that I,m "rich".

junetta 18-05-2009 21:45

My Nana used to make bacon hotpot. It still makes me want to throw up all those years later. I had to sit at the table until I'd finished it and of course it was worse when it was cold and congealed. Thankfully the dog quite liked it and I would sneak as much as I could to him!